Cupped crown moulding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cupped crown moulding

I cut the mitres on some crown and was about to apply when I noticed that the one pieces is cupped a fair bit.

Its 7/8th thick walnut, which I can clamp flat to my TS table, but theres no way the 21 guage brads are going to hold it flat.

What're my best methods to remove the cupping before applying?

The crown is finished on both sides with oil based poly.

I'm tempted to remove the finish on the back to see if it'll dry out and shrink, thus counteracting the cupping... would this work?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited by carbonBased; 10-24-2020, 10:33 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cupped crown moulding

Assuming you mean it’s no longer 90 degrees and won’t fit properly against the ceiling and wall, I would suggest you recut the angles that meet the wall and ceiling on your table saw

Comment

I would cut a series of kerfs in the back perhaps back it with a piece of thin plywood and glue and clamp it flat.
      Jerome likes this.
      sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Never had much luck un warping a piece of wood. My suggestion is make a new piece.

Comment

Check your moisture before turning wood into moulding for starters, and now you are in this position, I'd again check moisture. It might not be done warping if the moisture is still high in the wood.

Provided the moisture is low enough, You might want to try and steam it and clamp it up flat somehow on a work bench.

Good luck

Comment

I would cut my losses and start again with some new stock . I have usually found that one can never sort out wood that warps by steaming etc Especially so if the stock is kilned not air dried . After years of woodworking one has to resign oneself to occasional piece of elegant firewood . Sad but true
            WoodBob likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X