Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16'' NOVA VIKING DVR FLOOR MODEL DRILL PRESS-Reviews

Hello,

Anyone have feedback on the Nova drill press?

https://www.kingcanada.com/en/produc...el-drill-press

Thinking of upgrading.

Thanx,

Stan
    http://www.woodmonkey.ca
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 16'' NOVA VIKING DVR FLOOR MODEL DRILL PRESS-Reviews

I have not read any user reviews, but I think I saw one in a WW mag (Fine Woodworking??) that spoke highly of it. I'm sure its awesome.

The price is competitive with the cost of modifying an older press, depending on where you are starting from. I bought my 17" Rockwell pretty cheap, and it included a 3 phase Baldor motor. By the time I bought the VFD and other needed parts to make it as new, I was into it for about a grand. A third of that cost was the result of an unforeseen defect that I had to correct. I posted the saga here on the Forum.

Now if you already have a good DP and can get a 3-phase motor on the cheap, you could cut your costs down pretty low and get pretty close to the performance of the NOVA press IMO. Of course how you value your time will affect whether the cost difference justifies the effort. I enjoyed the upgrade as a rewarding project in and of itself. That's not true for everyone.

There are a ton of fancy bells and whistles on that NOVA that look cool, but really how complicated do you need to make a drill press? I can vary the speed on mine to anything from 40 rpm to 2500 rpm without changing belts which suits 100% of my needs.
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

I agree with Randy I think your paying for a lot of bells and whistles that can be done with a VFD. It might be a decent machine but my experience with King Machines is not good.
      A drill press with software sounds like something that will need rebooting, reloading, blue screen of death.
      What do you have now ?
      Last edited by redlee; 11-21-2020, 08:36 PM.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

If you keep you eyes out you can come across some good deals. I pickup a Craftex floor model Radial arm Drill press for $130 (Though may have to do bearings), a 3/4hp 3 phase motor for $50 in great shape and had a small 2.2kw Huanyang VFD that I pickup a few years ago for $100. I will have dig up the rest of the parts from my electronic collection for speed control resistor pot and some wires but nothing too $$. Also saw somebody on here used a old Treadmill DC motor, I think it was a 1hp with variable speed. I had just purchased the AC motor when I came across that post. I might have gone down that road also with a DC motor instead. Lots of ideas.
        Last edited by Glen Black; 11-21-2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
          I agree with Randy I think your paying for a lot of bells and whistles that can be done with a VFD. It might be a decent machine but my experience with King Machines is not good.
          A drill press with software sounds like something that will need rebooting, reloading, blue screen of death.
          What do you have now ?
          Over the past year or so, I've looked at a number of used machines online but have not come across any thing that seems reasonably priced,

or in decent condition and or reasonable quality.

This is the current little beast. Bigger than a bench top and smaller than a floor standing model.

No manufacturer tag but likely made in China or Taiwan. Purchased used from a retired wood worker 7 years ago.

IIt doesn't owe me anything but seems to be on it's last legs and not worth putting much time into if I was so inclined.

Unlike many of the forumites that enjoy (and have an aptitude) for working on and restoring machinery and equipment I do not.

The enjoyment of building wood stuff ( and need to produce work for customers to pay bills ) far outweighs the time involved of fixing, replacing or refurbishing machines.

With any of the tools and machines in the shop , I would much rather pick it up or plug it in and start making shavings or dust.

The one big thing I find appealing about the Nova is no belts to change (it has a functional depth stop unlike my old beast)

a little more power, depth and slightly more swing room for larger work.

I also like the fact that it will be a smooth and quiet machine compared to the slow starting rattle and shake machine that I have now.

The fancy computer stuff is not overly important or maybe even all that useful for my purpose.

Hmmmm.... maybe I should keep looking for a used DP and save a bit of money?

Any machines or brands I should keep an eye out for?

Last edited by stotto; 11-22-2020, 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Have you been over to Marson Equipment, or Canadian Woodworkers stores ?
            Have you looked at Jet machines ?
            I dont know the new market at all so I guess Im not much help,
            • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Have you been over to Marson Equipment, or Canadian Woodworkers stores ?
              Have you looked at Jet machines ?
              I dont know the new market at all so I guess Im not much help,
              Yes. Marson is where I purchase most tools and machinery.

Had a quick look at their DP.

Will ask more questions next time I'm there.

With our current situation no matter where I go, it's usually in, grab quickly what I need and get the hell out.

Have never seen a jet machine.

Is there a dealer in Edmonton?

How about used or older machines?

I saw a Porter cable DP a few months back that looked decent and was fairly priced but did not go look at it.

I'd guess most of the new machines are made offshore?

Comment

I’m pretty sure most machines are made in the east, not too say some can’t be good.
                Taiwan seems to do a better job than the mainland.
                You could try
                Edmonton Fasteners’s
                Grainger
                Busybee

Comment

Theres a Rockwell 15-085 on Kijiji
                  dont know the press but the price is good

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D42EFD2B-9B42-4F7F-94CE-DD4CD79C8451.png
Views:	90
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	1305126

Comment

General 340 was a quality machine, most of what is on the market are identical to what you have, and there is nothing to go wrong or improve on them. Any of the older British DPs were several steps better than even the Generals.

Comment

Well ???
                        Any luck.

Comment

Well ???
                          Any luck.
                          Nope.

Comment

Working...
                          X