FastenMaster Pro Hot-Melt Gun Item #03K0350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastenMaster Pro Hot-Melt Gun Item #03K0350

Anyone have any experience with this from Lee Valley?
    Will hot glue hold turning blanks to a tenon?
    I do have other uses for it, but curious as to how strong and how safe it would be. I normally turn a tenon first but sometimes it might be easier to glue or tape one on.
    Previously Wallace's Dad
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: FastenMaster Pro Hot-Melt Gun Item #03K0350

Yes you can, But, you need dry wood both blank and tenon, I have used it a couple of times, but I don't find it worth the hassle, you first have to let the glue gun heat up real good, then I would use a heater to warm up the wood, then put on the glue and then quickly glue and clamp, it worked.

I have used the tape once or twice, never trusted it, so when the small roll was finished I never replaced it.

What I have done also is turn a real shallow recess, like 1 or 2 mm deep, where the tenon would fit into, then put CA in the outside part of the recess and put the tenon in, wait for a couple of minutes and ready for turning, it does work for wet wood also.

However it was/is very seldom that I need a tenon, as I use a recess normally, and that needs very little wood dept to make/use, more experience helps to turn without a catch .

Here you can see how little wood is used for holding the bowls These are larger bowls, the Honey Locust in the picture has just had the sharp corner returned to what you see, I usually do this, looks better I thing, that foot still needed the finish put on like the rest of the bowl.

The White Ash is being hollowed and hels with just the edge of the Oneway jaws, a couple of mm, and the The Black Cherry shows the foot after the recess has been finished.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201125_140329.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	790.4 KB
ID:	1305658 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201125_140422.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	714.5 KB
ID:	1305659 I sent a recommendation to Robyn Lee earlier this year that he should consider carrying this product as there is little availability of it here in Canada. LV's pricing of it is in line with what it is sold for, and the pricing on the glue sticks at LV is actually cheaper than what they can be found at buying thru Amazon which is where I'd bought mine a year ago. The gun is also known as a "PAM" glue gun.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01F6POMHA/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01F6POMMA/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

This glue gun is twice the size of your typical glue guns and heats up to 4 times hotter also. The glue sticks for it cannot be used in other guns as other guns don't heat up enough. This is a contractor grade tool as the description says and not for arts and craft. Most contractors use it for applications that normally require PL premium or other strong adhesives although it is not intended for exterior use.
      Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 11-25-2020, 02:06 PM.
      Kevin

Comment

If you are looking for a glue gun that is industrial grade this is the way to go 3M™ LT-Q Low Melt Glue Gun for Low Melt Quadrack Adhesive

, I used one of these for many years when I was boat building for making patterns, the glue gets hotter than other glues so be aware.

Comment

Thank you guys for the feedback.
          Bob, I have read about the one you mentioned and it sounds very good. I'm just too cheap to pay the kind of money that it sells for here in Canada. I'm not going to use it as a professional.
          I think I can talk myself into the LV model.
          Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Jacobs View Post
            Thank you guys for the feedback.
            Bob, I have read about the one you mentioned and it sounds very good. I'm just too cheap to pay the kind of money that it sells for here in Canada. I'm not going to use it as a professional.
            I think I can talk myself into the LV model.
            How about this one?? I would take off $10 towards postage if you want it. It's like brand new.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

"How about this one?? I would take off $10 towards postage if you want it. It's like brand new."
              Thanks for the offer Wally.
              I will have to research it a bit. Who sells the cartridges?
              Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Working...
              X