Quick Project: mitten and mask rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Project: mitten and mask rack

We have a small coat room off the side of the house that serves as our main entrance. The structure is terribly built with no foundation, and I plan to rip it off just as soon as I can. So I've never invested much in it, I just kinda put up with it.

I hung some coat racks on the wall a couple years ago, and that gives the kids a place to hang their jackets or coats. But then other stuff started getting in the way.

First it was the mittens and gloves. They seem to show up every winter. They tend to lay around everywhere, and can never be found when you're rushing to get kids out the door in the morning in time for the bus!

Then came the whistles. The kids often go out exploring in the woods. It's hard to find them then, so we taught them to wear a whistle. I bought nice ones with a compas built in. Then the bears started hanging around - whistles are good for that too. But where to hang all the whistles? One day one of the kids brought home a little project from a home depot kids event that had 2 pegs on it. My wife stuck it on the wall and hung all the whistles on it. It worked... a bit. The whistles kept falling off and getting lost. Right now half of them are missing.

Then covid hit, and everyone needed 20 masks a day. Where to hang and store all those? The kids tried to put them on the same pegs as the whistles, but that didn't really work, and inevitably the masks end up on the floor or lost, either way not where you need them when the bus is waiting outside!

I decided something had to be done, but it had to be something quick and easy because I wasn't going to invest much in a room I'm going to tear down.

Here's the before shot. You can see the home depot hanger on the right, and a chalk board I made once on the left, half covered by a birthday sign my daughter made a couple months ago:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201201_2121204.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.6 KB ID:	1306657
    So, out in the shop I had just gotten a load of pine 1x10 for a different job.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201130_1800231~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	1306658

One of them had a bad spot, so I hacked off 2 4' pieces. One piece I set aside as the backer. I did nothing to it but joint the top edge where the cap would sit. The other piece I ripped into a strip for the cap and a wider piece for the shelf:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201130_1800309~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	1306659
    Then I ran the backer over the dado saw to make a groove, and then did the same with the back edge of the shelf to make a rabbit, sneaking up on that one so that my shelf fit snug into the groove:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201130_1810524~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	1306660

I decided my wife would like that rough cottage look, so I didn't dress any of this wood, I just smoothed it over with the Makita brush sander trick that I stole from Chimera. It is good for making that weathered barn board look.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201130_2023175.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	1306661

Oops, almost forgot, I also drilled holes for all my pegs. I found a bunch of 1/2" dowel cut offs and trimed them all to length, sanded the ends with a quick hit on the OSS. Then I laid out and drilled the holes. I wanted them to angle up a little bit, quickest and easiest way I know to do that is to set a couple blocks on the DP table against the fence, then set the stock resting on those blocks so that it's angled to the drill bit:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201130_1844038.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.6 KB ID:	1306662
    Then I pre-stained all the pieces with sansin dark cherry, as that's the one my son said looked best. I prestained it because I've learned that cleaning glue squeeze out off of rough wood is next to impossible, and even on a quick project I didn't want glue splotches in the stain. To make staining easier, I attached all the pegs to a strip of scrap with 23g pins.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201130_2203386.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.0 KB ID:	1306663
    After that came glue up. It all fit together with minimal clamping. I fired a few #6 screws through the back to hold the shelf in place.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201201_1212332~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.2 KB ID:	1306664

While that was drying, I went into the house and practiced making these delux "Apple boats" for my daughter, which we saw at a restaurant in Barrie.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201130_2131469~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	1306665
    Once dry, I brushed on a couple coats of finitek hybrid that I had on hand.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201201_1439309~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	1306666

I stained and finished an extra scrap at the same time, and now cut some plugs to hide my screws.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201201_2111212~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.6 KB ID:	1306667
    I had a bunch of left-over cup hooks that I intended for the bottom. I physically laid them out because I suck at math:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201201_2056395~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.3 KB ID:	1306670
    Then I went inside and re-hung the chalkboard on the right, and installed the new rack:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201201_2201170~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.9 KB ID:	1306668

And you can see I left clear instructions which the kids will definitely follow, right?!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201201_2213262~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.2 KB ID:	1306669

Now, if only we could find all the missing whistles....

​​​​​

​​​​
    Beaverfever1988, John Bartley and 2 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Quick Project: mitten and mask rack

Ryan, your project documentation is always more than first class.
    Beginners could construct beyond their capabilities.
    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Love to see what you would have made if it was for a room you weren't going to teardown. I expected a chunk of pallet wood with a couple rusty nails.

Comment

Looks great. Having places to store "stuff" is always good.

Comment

This is a great idea, and one I may steal!

We only have about 2' of wall space to fit 3 boys "stuff" @ the front door. The bulk of their stuff hangs at the backdoor.

The mitten/glove rack would solve a big issue we have, I currently only have dual hook coat hangers.

thanks for the idea and inspiration!!
          [insert something witty here]

Comment

Thanks for posting this Ryan, timely and useful.............Regards, Rod.
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X