Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul O in Paris
    replied
    Something about the look of old Nitro that modern finishes don't have, especially the low sheen ones like you used Wally. To me it gives a softer more delicate, natural look, especially if the colour is added by way of a toner rather than a stain that usually over-exaggerates the grain. In my experiences with it, I found oak has a number of very subtle textural characteristics that tend to be obliterated by a pigmented stain. But some customers like that "heavy" look, and the paying customer gets what they ask for.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 01-13-2021, 04:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    Thanks Paul -- IIRC it was a 20 sheen MLC Nitro Lac.

Leave a comment:

• Paul O in Paris
    replied
    Wally, what finish/sheen did you use? Looks really nice!

Paul

Leave a comment:

• beachburl
    replied
    Great choice for the drawer front with its figure pointing to the handle.

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    I like it when it's kept not too dark and looks quite natural like this desk. Click image for larger version

Name:	F1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	4.78 MB
ID:	1312717

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    I love the grain, color & smell of white oak.

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied
    White Oak really is beautiful. It has a smell that is very distinctive when being machined.

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    started a topic Nice white oak

Nice white oak

I’m making a few pieces to help expand my nephews kitchen,using white oak he and his dad cut several years ago off their farm.nice stuff,I’ve had a couple pieces in my shop about four years,skip planned it back then and stikered Click image for larger version  Name:	850199BA-3D4E-41A0-9950-4FE8FE52207B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	1312669 Click image for larger version  Name:	674606EE-018A-404C-AD51-FA5D07801F8E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	1312670 it,still straight as a arrow.was in their barn about seven years before that.its heavy and a bear to work,but what beautiful wood
Working...
X