Nice white oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice white oak

I’m making a few pieces to help expand my nephews kitchen,using white oak he and his dad cut several years ago off their farm.nice stuff,I’ve had a couple pieces in my shop about four years,skip planned it back then and stikered Click image for larger version  Name:	850199BA-3D4E-41A0-9950-4FE8FE52207B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	1312669 Click image for larger version  Name:	674606EE-018A-404C-AD51-FA5D07801F8E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	1312670 it,still straight as a arrow.was in their barn about seven years before that.its heavy and a bear to work,but what beautiful wood
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Nice white oak

White Oak really is beautiful. It has a smell that is very distinctive when being machined.
    smallerstick likes this.

Comment

I love the grain, color & smell of white oak.
      Wally in Calgary and Glen Black like this.

Comment

I like it when it's kept not too dark and looks quite natural like this desk. Click image for larger version

Name:	F1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	4.78 MB
ID:	1312717
        Paul O in Paris, Randy in Calgary and 2 others like this.

Comment

Great choice for the drawer front with its figure pointing to the handle.
          Kayak Jim and John Bartley like this.
          Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Wally, what finish/sheen did you use? Looks really nice!

Paul
            Mauroc likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks Paul -- IIRC it was a 20 sheen MLC Nitro Lac.

Comment

Something about the look of old Nitro that modern finishes don't have, especially the low sheen ones like you used Wally. To me it gives a softer more delicate, natural look, especially if the colour is added by way of a toner rather than a stain that usually over-exaggerates the grain. In my experiences with it, I found oak has a number of very subtle textural characteristics that tend to be obliterated by a pigmented stain. But some customers like that "heavy" look, and the paying customer gets what they ask for.

Paul
                Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 01-13-2021, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X