where to buy a melamine sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to buy a melamine sheet

I want to buy some melamine sheets to laminate plywood, Do your guys know where can buy it?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: where to buy a melamine sheet

Originally posted by lezh70 View Post
    I want to buy some melamine sheets to laminate plywood, Do your guys know where can buy it?
    I'm fairly sure melamine is typically applied as a paint: https://www.homedepot.com/p/100134855
    Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 04-06-2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Windsor Plywood
      lezh70 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by lezh70 View Post
        You local Home Hardware Store should be able to order you whatever you want.

Just a note, regardless of where you buy it, it will probably come rolled up in a cardboard box. Before you leave the store, open both ends of the box and make sure that there is no shipping damage (chips or cracks) on each end. You shouldn't have to take it out of the box to inspect it. If you do, you will have trouble getting it back in .....

lezh70 likes this.

Comment

I am somewhat confused, are you looking for a paint as the melamine surface used in the millwork industry is very different than paint and I have never seen it come in a sheet that you would find in a roll. Melamine paint was popular a few years ago but not near as durable as the melamine fused to sheet goods commonly used in cabinet construction and manufactured in factories. I have spent a life time of attending trade shows and the National Homebuilders Shows. If you are looking for a HPL ( high pressure laminate) they come in rolls and are usually applied to a substrate such as plywood, particle board or MDF. The HPL comes in various widths and lengths. It is also has a vertical surface grade, a post form grade and a general purpose grade. The general purpose grade has the thickest backing.

Brian
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
            I am somewhat confused, are you looking for a paint ....... If you are looking for a HPL ( high pressure laminate) .....
            Brian
            I "assumed" the want was for laminate sheet and the terms were mixed up. I remember when the generic term for laminates of all types was "Formica" among those who didn't know ....

Comment

And I assumed it was sheet goods glued to mdf

Comment

If looking for Laminate probably the best selection of in stock is from Wilsonart. They sell through their distribution Center at 6555 Cantay rd in Mississauga. They carry a huge inventory and will sell to public. You need to know what you want before you go there. They do have lots of samples at the front counter but you do not have opportunity to view the sheets before you buy them . You might try big box stores but generally your selection is very limited. If you are going to apply it to a substrate I would buy the post formed grade. It has the same wear area but a thinner backing so you have a thinner line on edges of the dark coloured backing

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                  If looking for Laminate probably the best selection of in stock is from Wilsonart. They sell through their distribution Center at 6555 Cantay rd in Mississauga. They carry a huge inventory and will sell to public. You need to know what you want before you go there. They do have lots of samples at the front counter but you do not have opportunity to view the sheets before you buy them . You might try big box stores but generally your selection is very limited. If you are going to apply it to a substrate I would buy the post formed grade. It has the same wear area but a thinner backing so you have a thinner line on edges of the dark coloured backing
                  Actually, I need plywood which is laminated melamine (Venner core ), I didn't find out. so want to apply melamine by myself.

Comment

If you're adhering HPL to plywood, you might want to use the thicker stuff. Plywood doesn't have as flat a surface as MDF or particle board & the unevenness may telegraph through the thin post form.
                    lezh70 likes this.

Comment

You can buy sheet laminate at Home Depot lowes or Home Hardware and put it on the plywood. Any colour you want.
                      https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
                        If you're adhering HPL to plywood, you might want to use the thicker stuff. Plywood doesn't have as flat a surface as MDF or particle board & the unevenness may telegraph through the thin post form.
                        totally agree, on large panels I usually use a particle board core. Once you apply lacquer to a large plywood panel with the sun shining across it looks like waves.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I "assumed" the want was for laminate sheet and the terms were mixed up. I remember when the generic term for laminates of all types was "Formica" among those who didn't know ....
                          Formica used to come in flat sheets 2 feet by 4 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by woodczech View Post

Formica used to come in flat sheets 2 feet by 4 feet.
                            Circa 1970 my dad built his house and used Formica (generic use ... I don't know what brand he used), but it came in at least 8' long sheets and he had to cut it to fit.

Comment

It comes in a variety of sizes, 30 in by 12 ft used primarily for post formed counter top and up to 5 ft x 12 ft which in some cases will allow a counter top with no seams. They have improved the patterns and some appear as granite or quartz with edging to match so you see no lines.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X