Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage jointer possibly made in England.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage jointer possibly made in England.

I'm rebuilding a very solidly built Helma-Nohoma 30cm jointer.There's next to no references in the web to Helma-Nohoma which were either short-lived or had a very limited production.
    A Dutch member of another forum states that Helms-Nohoma was indeed based in Holland and was not a manufacturer but an importer. I found BSW threads (1/2"-12) on this machine and wonder if it was made in Britain; if anyone recognizes the machine in the photo please let me know who the maker was. Thanks!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Vintage jointer possibly made in England.

I only found this info, seems the Co. is no more .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Helma machines.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1325420

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

You may want to post over at OWWM.org.
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
      1) A person who solves problems you can't.
      2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

I can't help with identification, but...

Originally posted by RODELU View Post
        ...I found BSW threads (1/2"-12) on this machine and wonder if it was made in Britain...]
        Are you sure they are BSW (55 degree Vee)? North America used both 12 and 13 tpi threads for 1/2" threads until 13tpi became the standard (I think in the early part of the 20th century).

Cheers, Vann.

iamtooler likes this.
        Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

I remember somebody having a big jointer with a slotting attachment that was identified as a " BV". He was trying to find ANY reference to the maker.

Comment

I'm rebuilding a very solidly built Helma-Nohoma 30cm jointer.There's next to no references in the web to Helma-Nohoma which were either short-lived or had a very limited production.
            A Dutch member of another forum states that Helms-Nohoma was indeed based in Holland and was not a manufacturer but an importer. I found BSW threads (1/2"-12) on this machine and wonder if it was made in Britain; if anyone recognizes the machine in the photo please let me know who the maker was. Thanks!
            So yes the maker is Helma, Helma was a machine manufacturer in the province of North Holland, in the town/city of Wormerveer The NOHOMA stands for North Holland Machine fabriek.

They did manufacture machines till not too long ago, but the company does not exist anymore.

There must be machines around and bought/sold by used machine dealers.

OK, so I went back and here is a link with all kinds of Helma machines.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gebr...&client=safari
            Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-07-2021, 02:09 PM.

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
              I remember somebody having a big jointer with a slotting attachment that was identified as a " BV". He was trying to find ANY reference to the maker.
              'BV' in Dutch means 'besloten vennootschap', which translates to 'private limited company'. So many companies in the Netherlands are a BV (not sure how helpful this is but I figured I'd throw it out there).
              iamtooler likes this.

Comment

Yes, the BV has shares for the different owners, but the shares are not publickly traded, this prevents the company being bought out without the owners control by the competition or other they don't want in there, there are a few other things that make the owners keep control, I did learn about that a long time ago, forget most of it ;-))

Have fun and take care
                Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                  You may want to post over at OWWM.org.
                  Thanks for your suggestion. I just did that.

Comment

Originally posted by J Vann View Post
                    I can't help with identification, but...

Are you sure they are BSW (55 degree Vee)? North America used both 12 and 13 tpi threads for 1/2" threads until 13tpi became the standard (I think in the early part of the 20th century).

Cheers, Vann.
                    My only clue about those threads being BSW is the ½”-12, there´s also ¼-20, 5/16-18 and 5/8”-11 but those could be UNC, and none of the hardware is metric. Thread angle I could not measure, a matter of rusted threads and not having the equipment.
                    The machine looks like something made in the 50’s, certainly not like something made in the early 20th century.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

So yes the maker is Helma, Helma was a machine manufacturer in the province of North Holland, in the town/city of Wormerveer The NOHOMA stands for North Holland Machine fabriek.

They did manufacture machines till not too long ago, but the company does not exist anymore.

There must be machines around and bought/sold by used machine dealers.

OK, so I went back and here is a link with all kinds of Helma machines.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gebr...&client=safari
                      WOW, there´s a lot of Helma-Nohoma machines out there so perhaps H-N were manufacturers after all. I’m still confused about the BSW threads in this machine; when did Holland start using the metric system? I know German-made machines used BSW long ago because the metric system had not yet been implemented.

Comment

WOW, there´s a lot of Helma-Nohoma machines out there so perhaps H-N were manufacturers after all. I’m still confused about the BSW threads in this machine; when did Holland start using the metric system? I know German-made machines used BSW long ago because the metric system had not yet been implemented.
                        The Netherlands went metric shortly after WWII, Whitworth was not being used, but some of the English products had it, a pain in the neck, I would order steel bars, flat and round and pipe, in the 50ish and it was mostly inch sized, bolts we did stock in Inch and metric sizes, but not Whitworth.

It was still mixed up but slowly changed, in school we had learned only metric, so I had to learn all the inch sizes, and I can readily change between both inch and metric and have those in my head.

If you think there is WW bolts, you will have to measure the angle of the thread, as that is where the difference is, not the number of threads per inch.

And yes they did manufacture their machines, but also sold machines from others that they did not build, I don't know if this was always that way or only lateron

on.

Have fun and take care
                        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

The Netherlands went metric shortly after WWII, Whitworth was not being used, but some of the English products had it, a pain in the neck, I would order steel bars, flat and round and pipe, in the 50ish and it was mostly inch sized, bolts we did stock in Inch and metric sizes, but not Whitworth.

It was still mixed up but slowly changed, in school we had learned only metric, so I had to learn all the inch sizes, and I can readily change between both inch and metric and have those in my head.

If you think there is WW bolts, you will have to measure the angle of the thread, as that is where the difference is, not the number of threads per inch.

And yes they did manufacture their machines, but also sold machines from others that they did not build, I don't know if this was always that way or only lateron

on.
                          Pretty much what we still have over here, a mixture of English and metric; I'm 78 and years ago metric threads were a lab. curiosity. I still have a set of Whitworth/BA wrenches. Construction supply shops will stock only BSW screws and allthreads, fortunately BSF stuff is no longer used.

Comment

Working...
                          X