• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joinery Help

Click image for larger version

Name:	D3108960-4453-4C43-9063-62725DCA4602.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	1325366 My daughter is building a table similar to this, with some help from Dad, approx. 46 wide 30 deep and about 24 or so inches high and close to 1 7/16 thick.
    We have the panels all glued and sanded, now how would the collective go about cutting the mitered corners ?
    Im thinking I can do one side on the Table Saw, but my saw is right tilt and Id have to add a side to my fence since it sits slightly above the saw top.
    Skilsaw with a guide ?, dont have a Router bit big enough.
    Thanks
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Joinery Help

I have never had luck tilting the saw blade for mitres. As a result I have avoided them. I think if I was to try again I would build a jig like this one :

Name:	jig.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1325368

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
      I have never had luck tilting the saw blade for mitres. As a result I have avoided them. I think if I was to try again I would build a jig like this one :

Name:	jig.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1325368
      Hmmm, looks like it would work but the pieces are heavy.
      I told her this friggin table is going to be heavy.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Just using a sled with the blade tilted would be my choice.
        QC Inspector likes this.

Comment

Know anyone with a track saw, that is something excel at.

Bill
          John Bartley likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by billsm View Post
            Know anyone with a track saw, that is something excel at.

Bill
            Nope. But Thanks

Comment

I have used an "L-shaped fence" in the past with success. The components were lighter than yours however, but it should still work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed in Calgary View Post
                Just using a sled with the blade tilted would be my choice.
                My sleds not big enough, suppose I could make one but just for a few cuts.

Comment

What Bill said but a good circular saw with a straight guide would work. Make a couple of test cuts to ensure you have the correct angle.

Brian

full kerf saw blade would be nice to avoid blade twisting during cut
                  Wally in Calgary likes this.
                  If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
                    I have used an "L-shaped fence" in the past with success. The components were lighter than yours however, but it should still work.
                    Not picturing it ?

Comment

Checkout Rob Browns video on mitering with a right tilt saw. This might work for you . Click image for larger version

Name:	C27709D5-4A23-4736-AE84-1522A27AB32B.png
Views:	183
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	1325388

Comment

Oops! It’s a magazine article not a video

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post

Not picturing it ?
                          I will get some images; it will help. I will go in the shop and try to put something together to help visualize.

Your workpieces will have all been cut to final length (90 degrees) prior to setting the L-fence. Once this is done you will adjust your blade to exactly 45 degrees.

The vertical portion of the L- fence is clamped to your main fence. You adjust the position and the blade height so that the outside surface of the teeth is exactly below the edge of the horizontal portion of the L-fence. You apply the piece you will use as your straight edge on top of the piece to be cut, exactly on your cut line (double-sided tape). The straight edge will be in contact with the horizontal portion of the fence and will ensure that your cut is straight. Repeat the procedure for the other seven edges and you will be ready to assemble.

Since your saw is right tilt, you will be working from the left side of the blade. The top side of your panels will be the « long sides » of the mitres.

Don’t hesitate to let me know if you need more until I take some photos.

Comment

Originally posted by mbchrapko View Post
                            Checkout Rob Browns video on mitering with a right tilt saw. This might work for you . Click image for larger version

Name:	C27709D5-4A23-4736-AE84-1522A27AB32B.png
Views:	183
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	1325388
                            Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post

I will get some images; it will help. I will go in the shop and try to put something together to help visualize.

Your workpieces will have all been cut to final length (90 degrees) prior to setting the L-fence. Once this is done you will adjust your blade to exactly 45 degrees.

The vertical portion of the L- fence is clamped to your main fence. You adjust the position and the blade height so that the outside surface of the teeth is exactly below the edge of the horizontal portion of the L-fence. You apply the piece you will use as your straight edge on top of the piece to be cut, exactly on your cut line (double-sided tape). The straight edge will be in contact with the horizontal portion of the fence and will ensure that your cut is straight. Repeat the procedure for the other seven edges and you will be ready to assemble.

Since your saw is right tilt, you will be working from the left side of the blade. The top side of your panels will be the « long sides » of the mitres.

Don’t hesitate to let me know if you need more until I take some photos.
                              Ok Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X