Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kumiko Nixie Clock

Hi all!

I've been busy with making this Nixie Tube clock with a kumiko panel on the front. I've never done kumiko before but I can see the appeal: It's pretty relaxing.

https://youtu.be/LIkUUtoEK3A

The box is tiger maple, with a red/brown dye to accentuate the figure. I used shellac for the finish. The box is made with miters, no reinforcement needed as the clock really wont see a whole lot of handling in it's life. I didn't want to interrupt the grain with splines, or anything like that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock 1.png
Views:	237
Size:	970.3 KB
ID:	1325475

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers!
    Les Groeller, mikeddd and 5 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Kumiko Nixie Clock

Do you know something we dont ?
    Looks like its a doomsday countdown clock.
    I like it.
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Some other pictures from other angles would be good. Looks nice from the front, but I bet even nicer from the top and sides.
      Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Never heard of a nixie clock before this. Where do you buy the parts/ kit? (Edit: OK, watched the video. I got it. I don't understand it, but I got it)

Nice job on the kumiko.
        Last edited by Kayak Jim; 04-07-2021, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Another one bitten by another bug, what next?
          More pictures please.
          Very nice, thanks.

Comment

Beautiful work. Nice to see a card scraper put to use on difficult grain. Most videos would skip that part. Like the river epoxy too. Look forward to more of your work.
            Anyone who doesn’t think money grows on trees hasn’t bought any lumber lately.

Comment

Always loved Nixies, I had a Hickock digital meter that had a removable plug in for function, with the Nixie display above.

I had a DC volts, OHMS, and capacitance plug in....

Nice job on the clock.......Rod.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Scott,

Thanks for sharing. Nice design, beautiful craftsmanship and great introduction (for me) to this field of electronics.

I may have missed it, but where is the steam generator?

Salut,

J.

Comment

I’ve built several of these nixie clock kits. They are really fun to build.

For those that are interested, here is a link to where I bought the kits. These kits are good quality and he stands behind what he sells. They get pretty pricey as the tube size increases.

https://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/

Steve

Comment

Here's some more photos as requested

Name:	P1090028.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	4.73 MB
ID:	1325731

Name:	P1090037.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	4.60 MB
ID:	1325728

Name:	P1090027.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	5.07 MB
ID:	1325729

Name:	P1090044.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	5.30 MB
ID:	1325730
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
                      Do you know something we dont ?
                      Looks like its a doomsday countdown clock.
                      I like it.
                      Yup lol! The countdown prevents numbers from degenerating, called "cathode poisoning." It's also like a little mini celebration every 12 hours.

Originally posted by Stuart Jacobs View Post
                      Some other pictures from other angles would be good. Looks nice from the front, but I bet even nicer from the top and sides.
                      Lots of glamour shots in the linked youtube video, but I provided more for you above. Thanks!

​​​​​​​
                      Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
                      Never heard of a nixie clock before this. Where do you buy the parts/ kit? (Edit: OK, watched the video. I got it. I don't understand it, but I got it)

Nice job on the kumiko.
                      I believe you might be able to get kits with printed PCB boards as well. No need to get as deep into the electronics as I did.

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
                      Another one bitten by another bug, what next?
                      More pictures please.
                      Very nice, thanks.
                      Too many hobbies, too little time! Now I seek to combine them into a single project, lol! Next up, fully automated router table with auto fence and lift! Okay, maybe not next but soon hopefully.

Originally posted by Kunzwerks View Post
                      Beautiful work. Nice to see a card scraper put to use on difficult grain. Most videos would skip that part. Like the river epoxy too. Look forward to more of your work.
                      It's very satisfying when I can get fluffy shavings out of a simple metal rectangle. Sharpening/burnishing a card scraper is something that took me a while to get the hang of. Seemed simple in theory, but I didn't get the results I wanted without some time and practice.

Lol the river epoxy was a joke that I hope I didn't confuse anyone by. The bark inclusion needed stabilization, or I was worried it would crack apart while working on it.

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                      Always loved Nixies, I had a Hickock digital meter that had a removable plug in for function, with the Nixie display above.

I had a DC volts, OHMS, and capacitance plug in....

Nice job on the clock.......Rod.
                      That sounds interesting?! Was the entire display nixie tubes?

Originally posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
                      Scott,

Thanks for sharing. Nice design, beautiful craftsmanship and great introduction (for me) to this field of electronics.

I may have missed it, but where is the steam generator?

Salut,

J.
                      I like the vibe the smoke from the soldering iron gives my videos. I should probably invest in a smoke machine for more!

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                      I’ve built several of these nixie clock kits. They are really fun to build.

For those that are interested, here is a link to where I bought the kits. These kits are good quality and he stands behind what he sells. They get pretty pricey as the tube size increases.

https://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/

Steve
                      Interesting! I figured there must be kits out there but I prefer to build everything from scratch. I like to get my hands dirty with microcontrollers and (sometimes) the coding that goes in them. I'll be using another MCU for automating my dust collection system soon.

Comment

That’s amazing Scott! I am trying to learn electronics and I wish I had your knowledge. My background is in healthcare, so it’s challenging for me to pick up.

Steve

Comment

I wish there where new manufacturers of Nixie tubes. They are cool but super expensive to get components and then you need to test them.
                          Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
                          Or like my page on Facebook
                          Subscribe on Youtube
                          This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

Gabriel

The regular size tubes aren’t too bad for price. There isn’t any need to test the, if you get them from a reputable source.

There is a guy in Latvia (I believe) that has a factory and is making amazing tubes. Crazy expensive though.

https://www.daliborfarny.com

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                              Gabriel

The regular size tubes aren’t too bad for price. There isn’t any need to test the, if you get them from a reputable source.

There is a guy in Latvia (I believe) that has a factory and is making amazing tubes. Crazy expensive though.

https://www.daliborfarny.com

Steve
                              Crazy expensive... I am not buying a tube for over a hundred euros. You have to build them for over 2000$ to make a profit with something like that and let's be honest you need to be something special to spend anywhere close to that for a clock when most people just use their phones for everything.

Clocks and watches today are ornamental and nothing more.... Kind of like a sundial.
                              Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
                              Or like my page on Facebook
                              Subscribe on Youtube
                              This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

Working...
                              X