Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gradual chamfer Edge

Hello,
    I used a 45 degree chamfer router bit to create a chamfer edge on an oak rectangular piece that covers floor vent. The angle is too steep. How should I make that steep champfer edge into more gradual chamfer edge.
    Joe
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Gradual chamfer Edge

I'd use a hand plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
      I'd use a hand plane.
      On router table because of fence, I got a clean straight edge. How can I achieve same straight edge with a hand plane? Any suggestions.

Comment

Never done this but if I had to this is what I would try.

Use double sided tape and an even thickness shim applied to close edge to router bit for shallower chamfer, on opposite side for steeper chamfer. For an even chamfer on all four edges use a jig to ensure the shim is placed at same distance from router bit.

Your maximum height of the router bit and your bit's cutting height will determine how shallow you can go.

Of course - I could be under-thinking this.

“By All means read what the experts have to say. Just don’t let it get in the way of your woodworking.” John Brown (1932–2008), Welsh stick chairmaker

Comment

I was under-thinking it. As soon as you've done one side you can't do the other even because the chamfer'ed edge will now be the point of contact on opposite side.

Instead you could use the same approach but run the pieces vertically on the router table with a shim.
          “By All means read what the experts have to say. Just don’t let it get in the way of your woodworking.” John Brown (1932–2008), Welsh stick chairmaker

Comment

Can't you stand the part on its edge and run it through the table saw with the blade tilted? 30 degree blade tilt would give you a 120 degree angle on the edge...
            PeterTZ likes this.

Comment

So you have a chamfer and want it to be a shallower bevel angle, right? But you have only a chamfer bit to work with? You could make up a router fence jig similar to a panel cutting jig (Google panel cutting and there are a couple of options that are easy to build) and use a straight bit or you could make a jig for a table saw fence and do the same and clean up with a scraper or a plane.

BTW, a chamfer is 45 degrees; a symmetrical bevel. Every chamfer is a bevel but no bevel other than 45 degrees is a chamfer!

Ken
              mikeddd likes this.

Comment

put your blade at the angle you like, put the wood against the fence instead of flat on the table. push the piece through as normal.

If that bothers you and feels unsafe in any way, you can clamp it in a tenoning jig or make a similar jig to fit the miter slots.

if you dont like the blade close to the fence then make a sacrificial fence. some make a box to drop right over the fence.

I bought a jig like this , seldom actually use it but it might help if you do a lot of it, keeps your hands a bit further from the blade. I've seen some with like a handsawsaw handle on it for pushing with and there are home made examples.

https://www.busybeetools.com/product...BoC2DYQAvD_BwE

Comment

Originally posted by joegreen View Post
                  How can I achieve same straight edge with a hand plane? Any suggestions.
                  Just draw or scribe a line and plane to it.

Comment

Hello,
                    I used a 45 degree chamfer router bit to create a chamfer edge on an oak rectangular piece that covers floor vent. The angle is too steep. How should I make that steep champfer edge into more gradual chamfer edge.
                    Joe
                    Draw us a picture of what you want then we can tell you how to achieve it.

Comment

I would also use a hand plane especially if you only have the one piece you show to do.

If that’s not going to work for you, back to the router. Make a sled that you can angle, put a straight cutter in the router. With that you should be able to cut any angle.

Something like this, just make the wedge what ever angle you need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	06E78E42-B965-4FE3-9217-598FFA345596.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	1325713

I would make one that registers off the fence.
                      Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Hello,
                        Joe
                        How about using a sanding block and successively finer grit until you get the profile you want?
                        mikeddd likes this.

Comment

Take a piece of 1x4 and cut it so it fits inside a 4x sanding belt (for a belt sander). Ease the edges so the belt is easier to install. It is a surprising useful tool; you can remove a lot of material quickly and accurately. If you don't have or are not confident with a handplane it can achieve the same result. Doesn't hurt that it is also cheap...

Comment

Hello,
                            Joe
                            If you are wanting to cover a floor vent, I don't know why you want a chamfer. Why not cut a rabbet cut the same dimensions as the inside of the vent. This would allow it to sit in the vent. The top part of the rabbet would prevent it from falling into the vent. If you cut it precise enough it won't move. This will sit on top of the floor, but most vent covers sit on top of the floor anyway. If you are using 3/4" thick stock I think1/4" above and 1/2" below would be good.
                            Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Working...
                            X