Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

now we are grinding whole trees into wood pellets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now we are grinding whole trees into wood pellets.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lets-1.5979498

I thought this article might interest some here.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: now we are grinding whole trees into wood pellets.

*sigh*

Are these companies even Canadian? Deforestation for 300 jobs across 14 mills to heat another country would be made even worse if the profits don't stay in Canada.

They should start pelletizing all the [wood] garbage from construction sites that currently ends up mixed into everything else and at the landfill.

Comment

Wow... From the pictures they look like smaller logs... Like tree tops and smaller trees that they need to remove to get to the bigger ones.

Logs I see at big saw mills are 2 to 3 feet plus in diameter.
      Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
      Or like my page on Facebook
      Subscribe on Youtube
      This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

the logs are typical of BC's interior, on the coast we have big ones , fir, cedar , hemlock, but they require more rain. what you see in the background is pretty typical, you can walk through the forest, not like the coast where it is too dense to walk in. ponderosa pine can grow in arid areas some areas had pine beetle infestation. it didnt harm the actual lumber if it was cut and processed before rot set in too much. some liked the blue streaks. . a lot can likely be used for finger-jointed wood , fence posts, parallam beams etc. we dont build houses with fir and cedar, not so much anyway. maybe some long spans call for fir but usually not studs. they call it SPF, spruce, pine, fir but good luck finding a fir 2x4 in home depot for example. Old houses were made with the good lumber. I think most of the fir goes to Japan now but I haven't looked at any stats lately. A high percentage was . we had lots of interior lumber towns that milled dimension lumber so it is used for building material and not all is giant trees.
        Last edited by stickman; 04-08-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Don't they do the same thing to make paper products- optimize the planting spacing and cut every "x" years to maximize the yield from a particular block?

Comment

there used to be a paper mill in Kamloops and they trucked a lot of chips and bark , the bark mulch stuff was called hog fuel. it was from other mills in the vicinity. I dont know if you need certain trees for certain paper products but I would assume that's the case.
            all the little mills had beehive burners to burn the unwanted materials but they are all gone now, to my knowledge at least. there are still some paper mills and we make toilet paper here. Kamloops used to smell like sulfur and the little mills all made a lot of smoke from the burners. some of the big logs from the coast were peeled to make plywood. we used to get good fir plywood It's not the same anymore. the mills want to keep running and stay profitable and there is always controversy and it gets political.
            Last edited by stickman; 04-08-2021, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I see a lot of wooden cedar farm fences around where I live. They use the stock that is two small to mill and make some stunning interlocking fencing with them. That being said today it's mostly electric fences or steel fences with steel rods.
              Subscribe on Youtube

Comment

Another crap industry taking resources for a crap idea. No way they should be doing that. Use waste wood. Stumps and tree tops from actual legit forestry.
                https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Pinnacle is a TSX listed company that has this statement on the home page of its website

"Pinnacle Renewable Energy Inc. (TSX: PL) (“Pinnacle” or “the Company”) is one of the world’s leading manufacturers and distributors of industrial wood pellets, which are used by large-scale thermal power generators as a greener alternative to produce reliable baseload renewable power. Pinnacle currently operates eight wood pellet production facilities throughout western Canada, and one production facility in Alabama, that process a wide range of wood fibre (primarily forest product residuals) sourced from forestry industry partners that harvest from sustainably certified forests. Pinnacle’s Canadian production facilities are all located on major rail lines allowing for efficient rail transport to one of two shipping terminals on the B.C. coast: Pinnacle’s wholly-owned Westview terminal in Prince Rupert, and the Fibreco Terminal at the Port of Vancouver. The Company’s Alabama production facility utilizes shipping facilities on the U.S. Gulf Coast. Pinnacle takes pride in its industry leading health and safety practices."

They also state "At Pinnacle, we make our pellets from sustainable biomass generated from the harvest and manufacturing of other forest products. We purchase biomass from a variety of suppliers – from large forest product companies to small harvesting contractors and from tenure holders to private land owners– and in a variety of forms – from sawdust to logs to in-woods chipped material."

Web site is https://www.pinnaclepellet.com/

They maintain they harvest from sustainably certified forests and also use "forest product residuals". Presumably there is a government agency in B.C. that oversees this? The web site is worth looking at before jumping to perhaps incorrect conclusions.
                  Brian @ Muir likes this.

Comment

This is the last few sentences from the article.

The province said of that proportion of the harvest, 540,000 cubic metres was delivered from the bush to pellet plants in B.C. and 200,000 cubic metres was pine beetle wood.
                    "We try to make sure that the right log gets to the right facility, while low-quality, lower-value logs and residuals are being used in pellet mills," the ministry statement said.
                    Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Jacobs View Post
                      This is the last few sentences from the article.

The province said of that proportion of the harvest, 540,000 cubic metres was delivered from the bush to pellet plants in B.C. and 200,000 cubic metres was pine beetle wood.
                      "We try to make sure that the right log gets to the right facility, while low-quality, lower-value logs and residuals are being used in pellet mills," the ministry statement said.
                      For what reason is pine pelletized? I know of no one that uses it in a pellet BBQ grill or burns that stuff in there pellet feeder heaters. Maybe in some sort of industrial furnace applications that are easier to clean massive amounts of creosote?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Waubaushene View Post

For what reason is pine pelletized? I know of no one that uses it in a pellet BBQ grill or burns that stuff in there pellet feeder heaters. Maybe in some sort of industrial furnace applications that are easier to clean massive amounts of creosote?
                        Look at this https://www.pinnaclepellet.com/products/

Comment

Wood pellets make about the best cat litter there is. We've tried them all & the pellets are cleaner, cheaper, less smell, no dust & super easy to clean the litter box.

Comment

My friend uses hardwood pellets for bedding his horses, better than shavings.

Comment

My understanding is that those trees needed to be cut because of the Pine Beetle thing and they do not look at all like something that can be milled to any kind of useful lumber.
                              Subscribe on Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X