Beaver 3400 Lathe - Need Tailstock Spindle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaver 3400 Lathe - Need Tailstock Spindle

I just bought a Rockwell-Beaver 3400 Lathe and the Tailstock Spindle is broken. The Tailstock is fine otherwise, just the Spindle wheel broke. What are the chances of someone on here having one I can purchase?

Its Part Number 12 on most of the manuals I've found online.

Thanks

Joe

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Beaver 3400 Lathe - Need Tailstock Spindle

Which part there Joe? (I stole this picture from one of Leo's posts).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=868580&d=1297789456.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1327011
    Attached Files

Comment

I don't know where you would get a tailstock ram, someone might have one and willing to sell, otherwise you have to get another Beaver 3400.

Question, what is broken on your tailstock ram, have a picture ??, the other thing, on the end of the tailstock there are two lips where the handwheel fits into, are they still there, as those are sometimes broken off if the tailstock fall from the end on a hard floor.

This is the Beaver 3400 Tailstock parts layout, the tailstock spindle is No. 12.

This parts layout shows the ram with the morse taper equipped ram.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Beaver-Delta-Rockwell lathe tailstock.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.0 KB ID:	1327118
      Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-19-2021, 11:14 PM.
      WCraig likes this.

Have fun and take care
      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

As I read this thread, I thought that it was the hand wheel that had somehow broken. However, that is part 29 in the above sketch. If it is the ram, I had a spare but sold it about a month ago. As a last resort, they can be made fairly easily with a metal lathe and a set of mt 1 reamers. There is a thread on this forum outlining the procedure.

Comment

I was looking for the spindle wheel, item 29 in the picture above. The person I bought the lathe from didn't secure it very well when they bought it and the whole tailstock bounced down the road. Amazing only the wheel broke! So at this point its just a threaded nub but it still functions as it should. Just hard on the hands to snug up.

Since posting this I found an aftermarket replacement on amazon that I think will work.

The centre of this replacement wheel is solid and can be machined to suite the geometry needed. Including the hook grooves. I just need to take both parts down to the local machine shop one day to get the new wheel machined to match.

Thanks for the feedback.

Joe
          Leo Van Der Loo likes this.

Comment

Busy bee has hand wheels https://www.busybeetools.com/product...75in-bore.html

WCraig likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by tool fan View Post
              The problem with these handwheels is that they do have to get a groove machined on the front side of the hub so that it will fit on the end of the tailstock.

So it has to be large enough and wide enough to accommodate that.

Maybe brazing a steel disk on the old hub would work well if there is a flat face on it, it only needs to hold the force of rotating the disk and hub.

Have fun and take care
              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Ah yes, an essential detail. Thanks Leo for pointing that out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, the ‘hook’ groove is critical for it to be functional. I have a guy machining the aftermarket wheel now.

Leo Van Der Loo likes this.

Comment

Finished product...hopefully this thread might be useful for someone else in the future.
                    Last edited by burlingj77; 04-29-2021, 07:45 AM.
                    Leo Van Der Loo and tool fan like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X