Using up scraps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using up scraps...

I keep pails and boxes of scraps organized by size and type. Got into a few of them today.

Baltic birch storage bins with cherry faces to match ones I already have
    Next will be a wall mount rack to hold them
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9688.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	1326798
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9693.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	1326797
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9694.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.12 MB ID:	1326799

Glued up some blocks to turn, one has already become a new handle for my favourite file
    Click image for larger version  Name:	64037516232__CB64A16F-FFA6-4AD3-8DAB-E803FB2BC596.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	1326801
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9690.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	1326800
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9695.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	1326795
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9696.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	1326796

Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 04-17-2021, 04:57 PM.
    Randy in Calgary, Wally in Calgary and 4 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Using up scraps...

I used to keep pails and buckets... Then that became Garbage Cans and then 3/4 of my shop....

No I just put it in the firepit. Anything longer than 2 feet I keep anything else turns into kindling if it's more than 11 inches and in the firepit if it's smaller
    billsm likes this.
    Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
    Or like my page on Facebook
    Subscribe on Youtube
    This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

Originally posted by bogmer View Post
      I used to keep pails and buckets... Then that became Garbage Cans and then 3/4 of my shop....
      That's always a risk but I'm pretty diligent.
      Three pails (one for plywood and two for hardwood) and a box for miscellaneous.
      When a piece is too small to be sorted into a pail, it goes in the box.
      When the box overflows, it goes to the burn pile.

I guess this also depends on how we define "scraps". I've known some absolute misers...
      Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 04-18-2021, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post

That's always a risk but I'm pretty diligent.
        Three pails (one for plywood and two for hardwood) and a box for miscellaneous.
        When a piece is too small to be sorted into a pail, it goes in the box.
        When the box overflows, it goes to the burn pile.

I guess this also depends on how we define "scraps". I've known some absolute misers...
        You say this now... Then you will have walls dedicated to the stuff you can't bring yourself to throw away. I litterally have a section of my shop that has scraps that have 5 years of saw dust on top of them.

They are going in the fire this year if I don't use them.... I am sure once winter comes I will change my mind.
        Follow me on Instagram and Pinterest
        Or like my page on Facebook
        Subscribe on Youtube
        This is my website www.matteout.com

Comment

Originally posted by bogmer View Post

You say this now...
          Yep! About ten years ago I helped my father move, he'd only been in the house for 5 years, and the garage was new about a year later.
          The contents of the house, including spare bedrooms, a full sized freezer, etc fit in the uHaul truck he rented, all in one load.
          We then made two more trips to move the contents of the garage (not including the old car that also required a trip).
          Within the mountain of "possessions" was a barrel of hardwood scraps, of which the majority were various scraps of oak/maple casing and baseboard, mostly under 8" long.

I'd last seen the barrel a decade prior, when my parents split up and my father cleaned the garage, and I recognized many of the pieces in the barrel from a decade prior, when it was originally installed, during a renovation in the early 90s. As he didn't have space at his new place for the barrel, he offered the contents to me. I had a wonderful bonfire that evening.

I'm admittedly frugal, I hate to throw away something that can be used, but under no circumstance will I even flirt with the chance I become an old hoarder of "never know when I might need to patch this shape of baseboard".

Comment

Working...
          X