Tage Frid stools - finally done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tage Frid stools - finally done!

I had posted previously that I was working on a pair of the iconic Tage Frid design stools. This after thinking about making them for a couple of years. I incorporate lots of curves and angles in my work but this has been one of the most challenging projects I've taken on. All edges and faces are either not flat or not parallel, and often neither.

The stools use an angled dovetail to join the back to the seat. I've chopped scores of dovetails but never at an angle other than 90 deg so in the early days of my thinking about the project I did a test joint in 2X4. So far so good.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210416_174711.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	1327560

The plan shows the two parts of the seat joined with a 5/16 X 2 1/2" tenon 4" wide. I don't have a 5/16" mortise chisel and wasn't confident of my ability to accurately chop one so deep so switched to five 3/8" dowels. I made a jig to ensure alignment of the dowel holes in both parts.

Name:	20210206_072815.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1327561

And then cut some good strong dowel stock out of ash.

Name:	20210211_091334.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	1327562

The legs have both rake and splay so getting the holes for the legs just right needs a drilling fixture.

Name:	20210309_123047.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1327565

After bandsawing out the curve of the seat, a compass plane is useful on the inside curve while a regular smoother can be used on the outside.

Name:	20210311_104203.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1327563 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210313_085337.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1327564
    Frank D., nnieman and Les Groeller like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Tage Frid stools - finally done!

Back to those dovetails....I made an angled guide to help chop them and then used tapered clamp blocks for the glue up. Note the abundance of wedges fixing the gaps (oh well ).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210215_102310.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.47 MB ID:	1327568 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210324_104016.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	1327569

Tapering and rounding the legs came next. A good workout with the spokeshaves and chair scraper.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210220_092435.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	1327570

Marking out for the stretchers and wedging the legs to the seat.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210316_173749.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	1327571 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210404_090525.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	1327572

At each stage, before committing to the good stock I had made a prototype in SPF to check the leg angle, height, etc.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210212_092521.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	1327573

But the end result in cherry and white oak are much nicer. Not a normal combination of wood but the legs are rift/quartersawn so the grains don't clash too much. I'm hoping the cherry will darken and provide better contrast. These are for a little coffee/lunch table I added to my kitchen peninsula. They are quite comfortable but are stools, not chairs so one perches rather than sits on them. The backrest fits perfectly in the small of the back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210416_084605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	1327576

And finally, I hoard cutoffs as well as the best of us but I've never had so many oddly shaped (read "near useless") pieces left after a project. Thanks for reading.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210406_161630.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	1327577

Attached Files
    Flicker, corpaul and 8 others like this.

Comment

While not my style, I really appreciate the work involved.
      Hope they are just what you wanted.
      Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Is the SPF one solid enough to use as shop stool? The cherry/oak stools look great. I could see ammonia fuming them to make the legs dark being a nice look too.
        Well done.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by QC Inspector View Post
          Is the SPF one solid enough to use as shop stool?
          It probably could be but I'm just going to pitch it. I didn't curve the seat nor fit spreaders and I already have a shop stool.

Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

Those look great!!

Nathan

Comment

Nicely done.
              The leg holes would well with a radial arm drill press.
              Egon
              from
              The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

beautiful workmanship ! I had never heard of the compass plane, That was a new one for me.

Comment

Name:	chair.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	1327691

I made a short one years ago to use as a guitar chair. Lot of fun

Comment

Love the odd look of those. They seem not-so-comfortable, but I'm sure they are. Looks like a future project for me.
                    Frank
                    SPCHT

Comment

Very nice, Jim. Beautiful work !
                      Anyone who doesn’t think money grows on trees hasn’t bought any lumber lately.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words and Likes everyone.

...and as for comfort, well I wouldn't want to sit on one for a three hour dinner party but it's fine for grabbing a coffee or a bit of lunch. And certainly more comfortable than a conventional stool.
                        Last edited by Kayak Jim; 04-23-2021, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Very well done, I know just how rewarding it is to see a dream come true, after 2 years of planing you would have to be pleased with yourself, I hope you have more dreams and build on what you have achieved.

Comment

Working...
                          X