Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Embedded QI Charger

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Embedded QI Charger

    Has anyone ever made anything with an embedded QI charger? I am making a pair of night-stands to match my dresser and chest and want to integrate QI chargers in each one. I am not concerned with the embedding part of it I just am hoping someone has first-hand knowledge of a decent charger that actually will work through 1/2" of wood. I am having problems finding anything with reliable reviews that says it works and I am not looking to trial and error this until I find one. To be clear I want the kind that is totally embedded and hidden not the one that just sits in a hole (which will obviously work).
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: Embedded QI Charger

    Are these chargers likely to work with devices made a few years from now?

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Embedded QI Charger

      Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
      Has anyone ever made anything with an embedded QI charger? I am making a pair of night-stands to match my dresser and chest and want to integrate QI chargers in each one. I am not concerned with the embedding part of it I just am hoping someone has first-hand knowledge of a decent charger that actually will work through 1/2" of wood. I am having problems finding anything with reliable reviews that says it works and I am not looking to trial and error this until I find one. To be clear I want the kind that is totally embedded and hidden not the one that just sits in a hole (which will obviously work).
      Jon Katz Moses made a desk with an embedded charger. Its a nice desk and worth a watch although I dont like the legs!. He talks about how to install the charger and what model he is using. Also, I dont think you can get one that will go through a solid 1/2" of wood, most are rebated just a couple mm below the top. And if you add the thickness of a phone case it can make it worse as well. Id recommend making a sample piece with the charger and case you intend on using.

      https://youtu.be/SCIssRQQiJQ
      Last edited by scooby074; 08-01-2021, 04:35 PM.

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Embedded QI Charger

        Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
        Are these chargers likely to work with devices made a few years from now?
        Qi is the standard. I believe all the manufacturers (even Apple) have adopted it. Its going to be around for a long time. About the only change I see coming would be speed increases.

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Embedded QI Charger

          Originally posted by scooby074 View Post

          Jon Katz Moses made a desk with an embedded charger. Its a nice desk and worth a watch although I dont like the legs!. He talks about how to install the charger and what model he is using. Also, I dont think you can get one that will go through a solid 1/2" of wood, most are rebated just a couple mm below the top. And if you add the thickness of a phone case it can make it worse as well. Id recommend making a sample piece with the charger and case you intend on using.

          https://youtu.be/SCIssRQQiJQ
          Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. And I had not considered really using just a QI charger and embedding that I was looking for one that was designed to be embedded. All of those get horrible reviews though. I ordered 2 of the one he used and I'll see how they work. He is on my subscription list I missed that video though.

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Embedded QI Charger

            I bought a charger to do this with, as I want to make a floating nightstand for the bed with an embedded charger, but....that hasn't materialized yet. If you do finish it I would be curious how it works

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: Embedded QI Charger

              I ordered 2 of those chargers this morning and they were already delivered from Amazon. Helps that I am 45 minutes from one of their distribution centers. I tested it and it does have a pretty good range seems like just holding it I get 1/2" distance and it works. I'll try it with a bunch of layers over it and see how it performs.

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Embedded QI Charger

                I use a charger of this type for my phone (not embedded, just as-is). Just a thing to keep in mind is that it is quite picky with placement of the phone for the charger to actually detect it and start charging. My phone is in an Otterbox case which probably does not help... but I can imagine that with 1/2" of wood in between this problem is emphasized. So you may want to think of a way that dictates placement of the phone to help the user.
                scooby074 likes this.

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Embedded QI Charger

                  Those things operate via magnetism, you will see exponential losses of ability to charge as distance between the two coils (one in the charger, one in the device) increases.
                  Test chargers by placing a thin layer of non-conductive material between the charger and device to see how far apart they can be while still being effective.
                  scooby074 likes this.

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Embedded QI Charger

                    Originally posted by corpaul View Post
                    I use a charger of this type for my phone (not embedded, just as-is). Just a thing to keep in mind is that it is quite picky with placement of the phone for the charger to actually detect it and start charging. My phone is in an Otterbox case which probably does not help... but I can imagine that with 1/2" of wood in between this problem is emphasized. So you may want to think of a way that dictates placement of the phone to help the user.
                    I will have Walnut plugs for the drawboard breadboard edges. I'll try and integrate a slightly off-color plug to go in the center of the wireless charger.
                    scooby074 likes this.

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Embedded QI Charger

                      Originally posted by WoodBob View Post

                      Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. And I had not considered really using just a QI charger and embedding that I was looking for one that was designed to be embedded. All of those get horrible reviews though. I ordered 2 of the one he used and I'll see how they work. He is on my subscription list I missed that video though.
                      No problem . Making a "Smart Desk" has been on my list for years so I got lots of bookmarks on the subject lol. By going with a "non-embedded" model, you can change it out as technology advances. One thing Id do is make sure the charger is as close to the surface as possible. As mentioned, charge power drops off quickly with distance. Id also drill a hole over the LED indicator up to the surface of the table and fill it with clear polycarbonate (likely) to make a light pipe so I can see the charge indicator LED on the QI charger. These chargers are quite sensitive to position. My Samsung charger has about 1/2" of wiggle room side to side where it either will or wont charge, and that is sitting directly on the charger. I imagine it would be even more sensitive if the phone was further away.

                      Since were on the topic, this fellow built an absolutely gorgeous Walnut smart desk. Worth a watch. The built in brass light and outlets were really cool.

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZCWjuxwN5c
                      Last edited by scooby074; 08-03-2021, 11:49 AM.

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: Embedded QI Charger

                        I made a catch all with and embedded QI charger I got from amazon. I routed the underside out and put the charger in it, there's about 3/16 of wood left and it works well.
                        Cheers,

                        Martin

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X