Sanding inside curves on the edge sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding inside curves on the edge sander

I am currently making a large audio mixer desk and enclosure (8 ft long) for a church, on which I want to make a curving front. The top and bottom edges of the front feature a long, subtle curve with a radius of about 100 ft. Sanding the outside of the curve is simple enough on the edge sander, but doing the inside of the curve is more difficult to do smoothly because the rounded end of the sander has a diameter of just a couple of inches, creating gouges. What I ended up doing was making a temporary addition to the sander's platen using a piece of pine to create a convex, curved path for the sanding belt. This is an oscillating sander where the whole 3 x 21 belt moves up and down. The added wood raised the center from flat to about 1/16" higher than the ends. I used two small pieces of 3M double sided tape to stick it to the platen. You don't want this to come loose and get pulled into the drive pulley end, where the sanding belt will either tear apart, or the motor will stall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211012_155831.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	1344936

Name:	20211012_155629.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1344937

It worked very well and got the job done.
    iamtooler, John@Hamilton and 3 others like this.
    Happiness is a new blade!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Sanding inside curves on the edge sander

Thats a great idea!!

Nathan

Comment

There's always a solution for every problem. Good thing there are others out there to show those solutions.
      John@Hamilton likes this.
      Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I like it.
        John
        If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

I just work off the wheel, my drive puller is larger so better for that. It comes down to feel this way working on a wheel. You can do good or you can also make a mess. Same as working on a stroke sander.

Thats a good idea though as long as the same radius or bit less it would work better than me running on the wheel.

Comment

My father used to do similar with his stroke sander when sanding rocking chair rockers. He would slip a platen under the top belt for straight and outside radius work and another one like your hump for inside curves. Worked like a charm. I wish I had that stroke sander but it is long gone.

Pete

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

they are great machines no one knows about. All the trained old guys had them. Ive had three with the current one being the right one. .

Comment

[QUOTE

Name:	20211012_155629.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1344937

It worked very well and got the job done.[/QUOTE]

good solution. Is that really a 3x21'' belt? what brand machine?

Comment

It a Ridgid

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rid...der/1000400488

Ah, those are 4x24 belts. My mistake. But I love the fact that they're readily available.
                  Last edited by guylavoie; 10-14-2021, 08:12 AM.
                  Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

Working...
                  X