Make your F clamps great again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make your F clamps great again!

F clamps are something we just use without really thinking about it, especially those ubiquitous 8" ones. They're quick to set up and use and work great...until they start slipping. I had a few of those slipping and had set them aside. About a month ago I bought a few new ones and remarked at how nice and rough the edges on the bar were. My slipping ones had worn quite smooth, and already had less serrations to begin with (they were cheaper models). I thought of ways to redo the serrations for more grab and came up with a very easy solution if you have a air powered riveting tool with a chisel tip. Just move along the bar, giving each spot a half-second moderate blast of the chisel tip. Don't overdo it. It took about 5 minutes tops to do both sides of the bar on a 8" clamp and they're holding like new now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211007_172222.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	1345005

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211007_172231.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	1345006
    ThePracticalPeasant, nnieman and 4 others like this.
    Happiness is a new blade!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Make your F clamps great again!

That's a pretty easy way to rejuvenate that style of clamp! I haven't had any wear out to that extent as yet but I'll keep that one in the back poocket, just in case. I just happen to own an air hammer so it would be a no cost fix for me. Thanks for the tip.

Ken

Comment

A cold chisel will also work if you don't have an air tool.
      http://sawdustmaking.com

Comment

I assume the steel is too hard to use a hack saw, jig saw or file?
        CraigM likes this.

Comment

The best F cramps I have the ones that don't slip and I can get the most pressure on have smooth edges and were smooth from new.
          The F cramps I have with serrations it's not the serrations that wear out but the steel of the other member that compresses then the bar sits at the wrong angle I have tried drilling and putting in a bolt to take up the slack but they are cheap crap cramps, I have been looking around for good oldies, old is quality if they have not been miss used.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
            I assume the steel is too hard to use a hack saw, jig saw or file?
            Well I'm assuming that the raised, rough edges created by the chisel are really what help the clamps to not slip. The chisel is denting the metal, while a hack saw or file would be removing metal and not creating raised edges.
            CraigM, ThePracticalPeasant and 3 others like this.
            Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X