Entryway Bench Take 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entryway Bench Take 2

My latest project, and first real project in my new, smaller shop (downsized from 3,000sqft to a triple car garage). It was a thank-you gift for my in-laws for putting up with us for 5 months while we relocated.

Wood: roasted maple with walnut dowels
    Finish: boiled linseed oil x 2 coats, then Arm-R-Seal topcoat x 5 coats

It’s the refined little brother for the entryway bench I made for our previous house (see last picture for side-by-side.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bryan @ Woodstock, montyss and 13 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Entryway Bench Take 2

Very nice.
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Finally all settled in Dan?
      Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Well done and attractive.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
          Finally all settled in Dan?
          It's been a fun process, but I think we are mostly settled now! Only a handful of boxes left to be unpacked. Glad to be able to move forward with things again!

Comment

Nice clean lines and subtle details.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

the joinery looks very well fitted and it shows.
              its a also a nice proportion. a lot of these little tables get used as step stools or sat upon and a lot of them have the legs so far inward of the top edge that they can turn over unexpectedly. having the sloped legs helped this.

Comment

Really nice. Maple? Wow I would have guessed Cherry. Is the seat carved at all I can't tell from the pics?

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                  the joinery looks very well fitted and it shows.
                  its a also a nice proportion. a lot of these little tables get used as step stools or sat upon and a lot of them have the legs so far inward of the top edge that they can turn over unexpectedly. having the sloped legs helped this.
                  Thank you! This one is intended to be sat on while putting shoes on. The angle of the legs is such that the tip of the legs extends to the outer edge of the benchtop to prevent tipping. There's nothing worse than leaning to tie your shoes and feeling the whole bench go with you!

Originally posted by WoodBob View Post
                  Really nice. Maple? Wow I would have guessed Cherry. Is the seat carved at all I can't tell from the pics?
                  It's Thermally Modified Maple (calling it Roasted Maple is easier for general public). It's been heated in a low-oxygen environment such that the cellular structures change to make it more durable and rot resistant. The process significantly darkens it as well. I'd agree that it's a very similar colour to well-aged cherry.

The underside of the seat is carved. The ends were beveled first, then a slight radius was put on the ends. This gives the end bevel an arched feature when looking at it from the ends. I also used a spokeshave and carved small arches between the legs to lighten the appearance. It's tough to see in these pictures, but the cross-piece of the legs has been carved as well with a gradual radius.

Comment

Working...
                  X