Building Airondack chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Airondack chairs

Hey guys/gals I am trying to find a web site to purchase MFD templates for a folding Adirondack chair can anyone help tks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Building Airondack chairs

Lee Valley sells the plans but will be on paper. Just make your own patterns from the plans on MDF. I used masonite to make my patterns as it doesn't take up as much room as the thicker MDF would.

I've been using Australian Timber Oil on my chairs, find it lasts about 2 years then needs to be coated again. Finish hasn't peeled in 3 years on my chairs but they now need the Timber Oil applied again.

Paul
    ErikM likes this.

Comment

Yes, I just glued the LV paper onto Masonite and cut out the templates on the band saw and sander. Good for many more as often as needed. Made the chairs using hemlock and they are rot resistant and tougher than cedar. Just used a little bleaching oil for finish.
      Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Why bleach oil I have used peofin penetrating oil in the past

Comment

That should read penofin not peofin

Comment

not trying to sidetrack this thread but do people find these chairs comfortable. For me they are not. I always sit on the edge of them.
            Redneck Albertan and Ron Gillatt like this.
            Steve The Drill Sergeant
            Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

They're usually good for me, but getting out....
              Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
              'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
              "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by schor View Post
                not trying to sidetrack this thread but do people find these chairs comfortable. For me they are not. I always sit on the edge of them.
                How tall are you? I'm 6'4" and overall a big guy and they are great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by corpaul View Post

How tall are you? I'm 6'4" and overall a big guy and they are great for me.
                  I'm 6', my problem is how they lean back. I prefer to sit straight up.
                  Steve The Drill Sergeant
                  Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by gluemn View Post
                    Hey guys/gals I am trying to find a web site to purchase MFD templates for a folding Adirondack chair can anyone help tks
                    When I built my rocking chairs I bought full size paper plans and glued them to the best thickness material dependent on how I intended to cut the material.

Comment

I hear you. My present project is 6 folding adarondack chairs. The MDF is ridged so after I rough cut the pieces I use two sided tape and then a router to insure that the cuts and exact every time paper will work but I would have to tape them to the MDF and then cut the templates to use. When you are cutting this much wood I would rather skip that step. I live in the South Okanagan in BC Canada . My last supply went out of business ( Covid) and I am now looking for a mill that cuts 1 by wood. Red Cedar would be nice however I will built with what ever I can scrounge . All advise and help is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by schor View Post

I'm 6', my problem is how they lean back. I prefer to sit straight up.
                        the Norm Abrams pattern is the most comfortable I’ve sat in. Your butt is not on the ground. I’ve made several for different folks.

schor likes this.

Comment

I second the Norm Abrams plans. A sculpted back is much more comfortable than a straight back.

Comment

Working...
                          X