Things I never Do But Should

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I never Do But Should

I am doing a project that requires drilling almost 200 holes. While working my way through it today it occurred to me I NEVER change my drill press speed. Re-sealing the caulking in the shower is another. Then I started thinking about other things I should probably do but don't. So... what is on your list?
    Troglodyte likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Things I never Do But Should

I have never changed my DP speed either!

two other things: despite my wife's constant disapproval, I steadfastly refuse to wear my life jacket when canoing, or a helment when biking.

Comment

When busy in the shop, I often to forget to eat mid-day and crash mid-afternoon as a result.
      A solid meal before I start feeling tired ensures a 10-12 hour workday...

Comment

Re; DP speed... if you have option of adding a VFD, do it!

I change my speeds all the time, it's too easy, just turn the dial and go.

for me, cleaning up before/after each work day/task, is a HUGE issue I really need to change.

"oh this'll just take a second, I'll move this stuff over and make a few cuts... "

time and time again I end up cleaning up 2, 3 or 5 different projects/pieces just to make room to start a new project.
        Troglodyte and darrin1200 like this.
        [insert something witty here]

Comment

finish a project, lots started but not done.
          ThePracticalPeasant likes this.
          Jerome
          Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
          CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
          1) A person who solves problems you can't.
          2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

During an afternoon in the shop I never put a tool back in its proper place, it gets left wherever it was last used. 90% of the time I find it immediately and it is mildly handier wherever I left it, 9% of the time I have to look for it a little, 0.9% of the time I have to look around a lot, 0.1% of the time it goes to the great sock pile in the sky.
            sancyk likes this.
            “By All means read what the experts have to say. Just don’t let it get in the way of your woodworking.” John Brown (1932–2008), Welsh stick chairmaker

Comment

Well I use two speeds on my 15 speed drill press. A mid speed for general drilling, and a slower one for large holes in metal.

I'll usually leave the tools laying around until I completely finish a project, even if it means leaving them there for days. The workbench top is another story however, and ends up full of little things (mostly screws and nails) that got removed or dismantled, and every once in a while (too long) I'll do a big sort and cleanup.
              Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

Resist the urge to start a new project before I clear up the current ones! I cannot seem to help myself that way.

Ken
                paulsz likes this.

Comment

Ditto on the drill press speed, I actually picked up a used treadmill for the DC motor and bought the electronics to convert my DP to variable speed this time last year. I got side tracked and the parts are sitting on my bench taking up space, on my list to complete the conversion in the new year.
                  The other thing I rarely do is throw out worn out sandpaper when I should. When I finally do, that 15 minute sanding job becomes a 5 min job.

Comment

Doug I am terrible for keeping bits of worn out sandpaper and as you say they are big time wasters. One thing I do try to do is put tools back where they belong. My shop is fairly large so it can be a long, frustrating search to find what I want if it's not where it should be.

Comment

Marry rich ;-)
                      schor, paulsz and like this.

Comment

Originally posted by dwoody View Post
                        One thing I do try to do is put tools back where they belong. My shop is fairly large so it can be a long, frustrating search to find what I want if it's not where it should be.
                        I share my shop with a fellow who is somewhat anal about tools being put away. This can be a problem when the tools I'm working with migrate to their cubbyholes in the middle of a project.

Comment

Throw away small pieces of scrap wood

Comment

Originally posted by paulsz View Post
                            Throw away small pieces of scrap wood
                            Is there really such a thing as scrap wood? A matter of perspective I think.

Comment

Originally posted by dwoody View Post

Is there really such a thing as scrap wood? A matter of perspective I think.
                              Trust me. I've saved a 4"x 2"x3/4" piece of walnut to use as inlay for coasters I was planning to make. This was a year and a half ago and it's still there in bucket of scrap wood.

Comment

Working...
                              X