Dylos Air Quality Monitor Group Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dylos Air Quality Monitor Group Buy

I've been in discussion with the people at Dylos and they have agreed to another group buy similar to the one that Phil Thien did last year (or was it the year before that?).

Anyway, I've put together a PDF order form (and a Google form that I'm hoping people will use so that I can keep accurate tallies of the group size) along with the instructions on what to do here:

Dylos Group Buy Form

As stated on the form, I have no affiliation with Dylos at all. I just want to get one of their monitors and I know others do, too.

Thanks,
    Charlton
    Last edited by charlton; 02-09-2009, 08:41 PM. Reason: Updated link to newer form
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dylos Air Quality Monitor Group Buy

I'd be interested in that although I don't have $200 in my pocket right now. What would a person need, the 1 micron size or the 0.5 micron size?
    Why do people keep calling me Rob?

Comment

HI,

I'm quite interested in this group buy. Likely the DC1100 PRO (0.5µ and 2.5µ) model, but I'm considering the PC interface. However, the PC interface would require the purchase of a Serial to USB adapter, increasing the costs for the PC port by $50-$75.

I've got a few questions/comments though.

It appears from the form that the discounts are based on a per model basis? I.e. If 40 units were bought, but it was only 10 of each model the discount would only be 10% Is this true? It seems that the previous buy was based on total units and not model units.

If this is the case, it might be beneficial for us to try and agree upon one or two models to maximize the discounts.

How widely publicized will this group buy be? I.e. Just folks here on Canadian Woodworking, or other forums such as SMC? I don't see any discussion there right now. This would influence how many buyers and therefore how much of a discount.

Folks responding here to say if you are in may help encourage others to get in for further discounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob R., Ottawa View Post
        I'd be interested in that although I don't have $200 in my pocket right now. What would a person need, the 1 micron size or the 0.5 micron size?
        I've been trying to figure this out too. Dylos has a statement on their website that the .5 version is popular with woodworkers. http://dylosproducts.com/wocrandshair.html

However, that doesn't say what you need, just that it is popular. I also read a number of discussions on other forums that don't help clear this up for me. However, it does seem that .5 dust is more dangerous (get deeper in to the lungs) than 1 dust so that's why I'm leaning that way myself.

It's not clear to me when the billing is done, but I would expect it would be at the end of the group buy (else they wouldn't know the discount amount) and hopefully just as they ship (which is a few days later). So, you'd need to have the money about 3-4 weeks from now. If paying by CC, then you may have a grace period of a few more weeks.

Comment

Ken

There was a post on SMC early this morning, and then it was gone. It was in General Woodworking. A search couldn't pull it up either, so I don't know if it was poofed or what.
          If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Ken from Ottawa View Post
            HI,

I'm quite interested in this group buy. Likely the DC1100 PRO (0.5µ and 2.5µ) model, but I'm considering the PC interface. However, the PC interface would require the purchase of a Serial to USB adapter, increasing the costs for the PC port by $50-$75.
            You can get one of those cables (USB/Serial) for around $10-$20 at local Radio-Shack or the stores alike.
            Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

I already have one, so I'm not interested in the group buy, but just wanted to relate my experience and choice. I went for the 0.5/5.0µm model for the reason stated above (more dangerous size) and because of the chart Dylos has (had?) on their website relating the results from their 2 channel model to an expensive multichannel meter. My reasoning was that if I prove to myself that I'm taking care of the 0.5µm particles then I know that I've also dealt with the 1µm particles, but the converse may not be true. If all I can show is that I've dealt with the 1.0µm and bigger particles, am I still leaving a lot of <1µm particles in the air? No way to know for sure. Anyway, good luck with the group purchase. I am very happy that chose to get in on the last purchase - this little unit has really eased my mind a lot.

This would be a really cool item for Lee Valley to carry.

Oh, and make sure when you do order that they show "Made in USA" on the outside of the package so that you don't have to pay duty.

Comment

Originally posted by mreza View Post
                You can get one of those cables (USB/Serial) for around $10-$20 at local Radio-Shack or the stores alike.
                I'm using a Mac so I'm not sure if these would work without software. The best I can find at "The Source" is $29 without Mac support listed. There's a highly recommended one made by KeySpan that I found elsewhere at $37 and works with Mac.

BTW, My $50-$75 was intended to include the PC interface upgrade + this cable. I don't think I made that clear though.

Comment

hi all,

Along with several other Canadians I was in on the Sawmill Creek group buy last year and can answer a few questions......

..Dylos allowed individuals in the group buy to choose whatever particle size count version they wanted and all members in the group still got the percentage group discount .....I don't recall the % discounts but if it was 30% for 100 or more unit buys of versions, all buyers got 30% off, regardless of which version they opted for....

in the Sawmill Creek group buy there was a closing date to submit orders and whatever the total number of orders was at that time, that dictated the % discount .......

the orders were shipped via U.S. Post and the only shipping fees were postal $11.86 U.S., then Cdn. fees of $5 handling and GST and PST.....

... the people at Dylos (I think it's a husband and wife cottage company) are easy to deal with, acknowledged emails, etc.......the more exotically calibrated models took longer to ship out but I recall everybody got theirs within 2-3 weeks of the closing date......

....I bought the standard calibrated model - 1 micron/5micron - because I'm cheap (smiley); also because of the way the monitor works and my assumptions about smaller particles being present in roughly the same relative numbers as larger particles across the range of cleaner/dirtier environments..... a 1 micron/5 micron model spits out two readings, say 200/20 which is intepreted as reading of 200 particles all the way down to 1 micron in size and 20 particles 5 microns or above (therefore there are 180 particles between betwen 1 and 5 microns).... the monitor comes with a chart giving qualitative descriptions of air quality keyed to various particle number readings .....
                  .... at the time of the purchase I dug up information from Environment Canada and the equavalent U.S. govt. agency to see what particulate size they used as their primary measure; I can't remember what that number(s) were, but felt I could interpolate Cdn. govt. outdoor air quality readings in my area against the Dylos readings....
                  .....the smaller size particle models were significantly more pricey (about 40% more) and I figure that the practical use of the monitor would be to give me a sense of relative particulate pollution in the workshop (or any other environment) under different dust collection methods so that, for example, in the absence of tablesaw top dust collection a reading in the "down to 1 micron" number was in the "unacceptable" range it was very likely that a "down to .5 micron" reading also would have been unacceptable.....
                  ... btw, the people at Dylos were prepared to accomodate non-listed particulate size screening (with .5 micron remaining the smallest particulate screen) so you could order .5/5, even though it wasn't listed.......
                  .... I'm not recommending any specific model, just giving my reasoning for what I bought....(and see Kerry's post above as he opted for a different model)

..... I don't know how long each of the wood forums archives posts but I know that on this forum, Sawmill Creek and even on Woodnet, there were posts from people recounting their experiences with the monitor in use in their workshops.....people can read for themselves what Dylos users found in their workshops; beyond "use as dust collection pick up points as much as possible" my personal surprise was how much the the "big chip" stationary machines, such as tablesaws and jointers, not just 'sanding' operations, also throw out the small particles that get past the nasal filters and into the lungs (to adopt a Bill Prentz level of cautionary alarm!)

...I've seen a couple of the Dylos monitors come up for sale on the 'swap/classified' pages of a couple of the woodworking sites in the last couple of months... which makes sense because I can see it be used for people to learn about, diagnose and fix questionable air quality situations and once those are resolved, not needing to continue to use the monitor, in the same way that after a few years of monitoring relative humidity in my workshop, I kinda know the likely humidity levels and their effect on wood movement in different seasons and immediate outdoor weather......

....I suspect that there would be an appetite amongst U.S. woodworkers for another group buy so it would be mutually beneficial - so everyone gets the highest discount - for someone to post on the U.S. forums advising of this effort......

good luck

michael

Last edited by michaely; 02-07-2009, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Weird. It seems as though that thread has been deactivated. Hm...I hope I didn't violate the ToC for the forum. I read through them and didn't see anything about not being able to try to gather people for a group buy.

I'm leaning towards the 0.5 micron version of it because, as Ken pointed out, I believe the finer dusts are what are deemed more hazardous. I figure if you've gotten the ultra fines down to a manageable level, presumably the bigger guys will follow suite. I could be wrong, though.

Comment

I'm on a Mac as well so it will be interesting to see how I can get this thing working.

Comment

Awesome information, Michael. You raise a good point about 1 micron being a good relative indicator air quality.

I may have to talk to Phil about the logistics of organizing a group buy and whether this is allowed on SMC because it seems my post has been axed. :( Maybe I need to be a contributor. :-o

Comment

Charlton

Any plans to post it on Woodnet or Woodcentral.

Steve
                          If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong

Comment

Yes, I can/will do that. I can't seem to find my woodnet.net account information anymore, though. My only concern right now, given that the post in SMC is gone, is that I'd be in violation of other forum terms. It looks especially bad since I've never posted on those forums (I'm somewhat intimidated asking questions with such a massive audience and revealing my woodworking "newbie'ness") so I'm sure the moderators are thinking that I'm some company agent marketing under a guise.

I'll try to post to those forums tonight...

Charlton

Comment

Another thing I thought I'd add as some of the discussion here relates to the PC connected version. In my opinion, unless you have a keen desire to observe the dynamics of how the dust concentration changes in your shop, the PC connected version isn't really necessary. It's pretty easy to see what's happening just by keeping an eye on the display. The non-PC unit still records, it's just that you have to press the buttons to retrieve the values. I've never had the desire to do this yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X