Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA backed sandpaper

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PSA backed sandpaper

    Hey folks, my first post here!

    Does anybody have a source for coarser grit PSA sandpaper SHEETS than Lee Vally sells? They have 15 and 5 micron I believe, and I need something just a little coarser to prep a couple jointer knives. Automotive shops? If there isn't PSA, and just regular sandpaper, what's the best way to stick it to a glass plate that doesn't leave an enormous clean up job when you take it off?

    Thanks in advance!
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

    http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: PSA backed sandpaper

    Re: PSA backed sandpaper

    Originally posted by timberframe View Post
    Hey folks, my first post here!
    Does anybody have a source for coarser grit PSA sandpaper SHEETS than Lee Vally sells? They have 15 and 5 micron I believe, and I need something just a little coarser to prep a couple jointer knives. Automotive shops? If there isn't PSA, and just regular sandpaper, what's the best way to stick it to a glass plate that doesn't leave an enormous clean up job when you take it off?
    Thanks in advance!
    Have you tried Royce Sales or Stockroom Supply? I bought some PSA sandpaper from Royce last weekend and I had a choice of many grits from very fine to extremely course. SS will have the same choices I imagine.
    www.sppss.com
    "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" Sign outside our Pentecostal church.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: PSA backed sandpaper

      Re: PSA backed sandpaper

      I just use a little spray glue on the coarser grades of sandpaper. i find that with a little mineral spirits it comes off easier than the glue residue fron the PSA.

      Blaine
      "Congratulations. You've just figured out the most complicated way to hold a board 30 inches off the floor."
      Tage Frid

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: PSA backed sandpaper

        Re: PSA backed sandpaper

        Hey thanks Aussie, the PSA stuff they have goes from 40 grit to I think 600, but I can't keep track of the different ways of rating such things. I'm used to my Japanese waterstone ratings, and I guess I'm looking for PSA sandpaper (though I suppose it doesn't have to be "stick-on") equivalent to about my 1000 waterstone. Just a little coarser to remove a little more material than my 15 micron sheets will do. What units are they using? They have paper that's rated to 60 000 grit! Thanks for helping out, it's kinda confusing.
        Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

        http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: PSA backed sandpaper

          Re: PSA backed sandpaper

          Blaine, ya got a favorite kind of spray glue? I may end up using the non-PSA stuff, and it sounds like you find it easier in the end anyway. Thanks!
          Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

          http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: PSA backed sandpaper

            Re: PSA backed sandpaper

            Originally posted by timberframe View Post
            Blaine, ya got a favorite kind of spray glue? I may end up using the non-PSA stuff, and it sounds like you find it easier in the end anyway. Thanks!
            I've used Elmer's in the past but I've also used whatever was handy at the BORG with about the same results.

            Blaine
            "Congratulations. You've just figured out the most complicated way to hold a board 30 inches off the floor."
            Tage Frid

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: PSA backed sandpaper

              Re: PSA backed sandpaper

              I read somewhere when I was attaching paper patterns to wood (maybe on the can) that if you want the spray glue to be permanent, spray both surfaces. If you are planning to eventually pull the two surfaces apart, only spray one surface.

              ....Wayne

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: PSA backed sandpaper

                Re: PSA backed sandpaper

                AFAIK Stones are rated the same as paper. The number indicates the number of grits per square inch. ie a 1000 grit stone will be the same as 1000 grit paper. 1000 individual grains per square inch.
                This has always been my assumption so I might be out in left field. I can't really say.

                If you need to produce a new edge I suggest you start with 220 and go up from there. That should work equally well for a nicked blade. To simply clean up and existing edge you shouldn't have to start any coarser than your stones.

                HTH
                J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
                Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)


                "In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: PSA backed sandpaper

                  Re: PSA backed sandpaper

                  Originally posted by timberframe View Post
                  Hey thanks Aussie, the PSA stuff they have goes from 40 grit to I think 600, but I can't keep track of the different ways of rating such things. I'm used to my Japanese waterstone ratings, and I guess I'm looking for PSA sandpaper (though I suppose it doesn't have to be "stick-on") equivalent to about my 1000 waterstone. Just a little coarser to remove a little more material than my 15 micron sheets will do. What units are they using? They have paper that's rated to 60 000 grit! Thanks for helping out, it's kinda confusing.
                  That would be the same as a 60,000 stone then depending on what rating the stones are using.

                  Originally posted by Wayne - Oakville View Post
                  I read somewhere when I was attaching paper patterns to wood (maybe on the can) that if you want the spray glue to be permanent, spray both surfaces. If you are planning to eventually pull the two surfaces apart, only spray one surface.
                  ....Wayne
                  I was always told that you sprayed the paper alone if you wanted to remove it and both pieces if it was permanent. I've used Elmer's for paper patterns and 3M for laminate, mdf and ply sheets. I don't think I'd risk using the 3M on patterns. That stuff sticks like s#*% to a blanket!
                  www.sppss.com
                  "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" Sign outside our Pentecostal church.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: PSA backed sandpaper

                    Re: PSA backed sandpaper

                    I use these people a lot. I find them cheaper than most suppliers.

                    http://www.klingspor.com/
                    Last edited by Mike in Waubaushene; 10-06-2009, 08:54 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: PSA backed sandpaper

                      Re: PSA backed sandpaper

                      J.P. Thanks I actually thought the same as you, but 60 000 seemed pretty wild so it had me doubting myself...I don't expect it's used much for woodworking if it is indeed the same as the waterstones.

                      I know this has pretty much been discussed to death on the forums, but for my two cents, I"m a convert to the sandpaper on glass (or anything flat I suppose, I just use glass). It's probably more expensive in the long run over stones on account of regularly replacing the paper etc, but barring any chips or cracks, or bubbles in the sandpaper from a bad job of sticking it down, it's ALWAYS flat. I'm a "beginner +" woodworker but have managed to figure out how to sharpen a plane and chisel on a series of waterstones to a degree that impresses my award winning fine furniture making buddy, so it's not that I can't get results on a set of stones, I just like the fact I don't have to think about the flatness of the surface of the glass. I can flatten my waterstones allright if I need to, but I'd rather be shaving wood!

                      Thanks everyone for the pointers and advice....this place is great!
                      Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

                      http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: PSA backed sandpaper

                        Re: PSA backed sandpaper

                        Just found a good selection at Japan Woodworker actually. That web site is just as dangerous as the Lee Valley one! Lock up your plastic!
                        Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

                        http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X