Door Hinge Dilemma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Hinge Dilemma

I just recently installed two doors on a hutch. The hinges used were non mortise hinges. There are three hinges on each door. The problem is the doors do not close completly. Seems like the hinges are tight and will not allow the doors to close. The doors will close to within approx 2 inches then you have to gently force them close. When you let go the doors will spring open. How do I fix this problem open door delema.

regards
    Walter

Re: Door Hinge Dilemma

Re: Door Hinge Delema

Pictures would be a big help. What kind of hinges and the install???

Butt Hinges? Are the screws hitting?
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Comment

Three hinges are generally used for heavy doors. The doors being heavy, two of the hinges are always close together at the top. Putting a hinge right in the middle is nonsense and will only cause misalignment like you are having now.

Comment

The hinges installed are Lee Valley 00H52.14 Finial End No-Mortise Hinge.

Comment

Maybe you need to bevel the edges of the doors?

Comment

Originally posted by asindero View Post
            Three hinges are generally used for heavy doors. The doors being heavy, two of the hinges are always close together at the top. Putting a hinge right in the middle is nonsense and will only cause misalignment like you are having now.
            Asindero has the correct answer. It's tough enough to line up two of these no mortice hinges. When you put three of them in play you have an almost impossible task. If they are the least bit out you'll get the kind of binding you describe.
            I'd suggest a heavier hinge if your doors are that heavy I'd suggest you use a different hinge and only use two.

Blaine
            "Congratulations. You've just figured out the most complicated way to hold a board 30 inches off the floor."
            Tage Frid

Comment

Undo the screws on the middle hinge and see if the problem goes away.

Comment

I installed a set of cabinet magnets to keep the doors closed. Seems to be working.

Comment

Did that and they still stay open.

Comment

What screws did you use?

If you have screws that are larger than will completely recess into the space allowed you will have that problem.

Comment

i just installed doors with those exact hinges and they were a pain, never again.

make absolutely sure that screws in the door side and frame edge are perfectly flush, use the next size smaller screw if needed

rounding the edges of the door and frame where the hinge sits very slightly will help too, those hinges are bent to shape and have a slight radius in the corners
                      my shop is a beaver lodge
                      steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                        i just installed doors with those exact hinges and they were a pain, never again.

make absolutely sure that screws in the door side and frame edge are perfectly flush, use the next size smaller screw if needed

rounding the edges of the door and frame where the hinge sits very slightly will help too, those hinges are bent to shape and have a slight radius in the corners
                        Agree! they are a pain. By the time you've got a srew head small enough to be perfectly flush it's a screw that's not worth using. I ended up drilling holes into the doorframe and door to make space for the screw heads. Doesn't look so smart when the door's open though.
                        http://www.wildervanckfurniture.co.za

Comment

Take a small mill file and file the heads of the screws flush with the hinge after you've installed them. Should solve the problem (hopefully!).

Neil

Comment

If the above does not work, If you cut in the hinge with a slight angled mortise, it will mean the hinge has a little more breathing room and not bind. It does not need to be much, scribe out the hinge mounted to the wood. and carefull to cut a slight angle inward mortise from nothing on the outside down to about 1/16 on the inside. This was often done on many traditional cabinets using butt hinges in the past.
                            Good Luck, Mark
                            sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Ok You asked for photo's I hope that these help show the problem.
                              First photo is the no-mortise hinge.
                              Second photo shows the maximum position of the doors closed without forceing them.
                              Third photo shows the position of the hinge.
                              Forth photo shows magnet.
                              Fifth metal to magnet.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X