Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women and Power Tools Video

Hi All,

Here is a video I recently shot at the Lee Valley West Store in Toronto On. that features a pair of very talented woodworking instructors, Jennifer Hart and Betty Woo.

Jennifer and Betty are not only accomplished woodworking instructors; they are passionate and dedicated to their craft and to sharing it with other women.

Sit back and watch how the attendees at the seminar were encouraged and empowered through the careful guidance of both Jennifer and Betty.

All the best
    Gord

Last edited by Bill MacDonald; 03-04-2010, 10:32 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Women and Power Tools Video

That's a well done, and interesting, video Gord. Thanks for sharing.
    Just wandering around

Comment

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your kind words.

I was so happy to be a part of what went on there that day.

All the best
      Gord

Comment

Gord,
        There is my friend Betty! Nice seminar ladies.
        Sometimes half my ConEd class will be women. When asked most take my class because...

1) Their husbands are useless with tools (I get a laugh from this one)
        2)Their husband has tools and they want to learn to use them properly
        3)They want to get out of the house and take a class
        4)They have always been intrested in woodworking

Mark
        Last edited by Mark in Burlington; 11-15-2009, 01:35 PM. Reason: ops.
        sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Six years ago I taught a night school course on furniture construction and design. Out of the 12 students that filled the class, 5 were women.

Those women were the easiest students I've ever taught.

All the best
          Gord

Jill and Irene with their completed projects.

Last edited by Gord in Newmarket; 11-15-2009, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I always look forward to teaching women.

They do not assume that they know stuff...and they are much more ready to ask if they have a question, in my experience. They are creative and not scared to take a chance and see how something will turn out....They do not worry that it must be purfect.

This is my experience anyway...

I think a lot of retailers are missing a large buying sector by ignoring women, or treating them like they are stupid when they come into their store...I know as I run into this constanty...One learns to laugh....and shop elsewhere...
            When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Chimera View Post
              They do not assume that they know stuff...and they are much more ready to ask if they have a question, in my experience. They are creative and not scared to take a chance and see how something will turn out....They do not worry that it must be purfect.

This is my experience anyway...
              Hello Chimera,

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

All the best
              Gord

Comment

The other nice factor in having your wife/girlfriend/SO take the course at Lee Valley is that they become interested in woodworking and use your shop machinery.

Those are good things in themselves, and as a bonus your wife etc will want you to buy more stuff for the shop.

Diann's the one that convinced me to buy an Oneida cyclone, and replace some General machinery with a Hammer A3-31 and B3 Winner.

Gotta love a wife that encourages you to buy a sliding saw/shaper .

Regards, Rod.
                Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Great video Gord! Thanks for posting it. I've always felt that there weren't enough women in woodworking. I think they bring a different point of view, especially in forums like this. I know I appreciate my wifes insight into things that I'm doing. A couple female friends of ours want to spend some time in the shop with me to build a project and learn woodworking.

By the way, I'm pretty sure I met Jennifer when I worked on a pilot for a woodworking contest show. She was on my team. J.P. will know the name of it as he was on the actual show along with, I think, a couple others from this forum. I only got to work on the pilot which was never televised. I remember Jennifer was building a log cabin on her property (by herself) that she was going to live in.
                  Regards

Barry

"That's why I love my computer,,,,,,,, my friends live in it."
                  - Colin Greg,
                  Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England

"Yes, cheap pens can be made. I don't make them."
                  - Daniel, Reno, NV

Comment

I have known Betty Woo for about 12 years, she's an excellent teacher

In the classes I have taught at LV (pen making, spoke shave and pepper mill) my classes are always about 50/50 women and men. My experience is that men "know" how to do things, women actually listen and seldom make mistakes that the men do...:-)
                    Last edited by Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont.; 11-17-2009, 01:18 PM.
                    Take care,
                    Jim

My Passion
                    www.pensforcanadianpeacekeepers.ca

SPCHTsigpic

Comment

I totally thought this was going to be something else.

Happily and woefully out of date
                      ... and not buying the upgrade!

Comment

No doubt there are a million women who are excellent woodworkers, but I still miss the old Snap-On and Rigid calendars.

ahhhh but times do change
                        Phil
                        “The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” -Bertrand Russell

Comment

My thoughts ! women ie our mothers have thought us men all our lives on how to threat people with respect especiely women so i think its time that we thought some of the women who wants to do woodworking just that .
                          my hats off to u gord for doing that ,showing that women can & do , do woodworking just as good as men .

thats my 2 cents for today .

Comment

Originally posted by phil View Post
                            No doubt there are a million women who are excellent woodworkers, but I still miss the old Snap-On and Rigid calendars.

ahhhh but times do change
                            Phil
                            Then you should check out the Aubade calendars. Not hardware, not by a long shot. Really nicely, tastefully shot calendars of French lingerie models. You'll have to do your own search. I refuse to provide an easy link.

I suppose I could Photoshop in a couple of Festool routers or something for you.

BTW, I also admire anyone who takes the time to learn a 'non-traditional' role and is good at it, like men who quilt or knit.
                            Last edited by Rizak the Really Horrible; 11-20-2009, 10:14 PM.

Happily and woefully out of date
                            ... and not buying the upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by Rizak the Really Horrible View Post
                              BTW, I also admire anyone who takes the time to learn a 'non-traditional' role and is good at it, like men who quilt or knit.
                              Wish I had a pic of my mother pulling a 3-bottom plow with the M-F 65. She'd hitch it up herself too.

Comment

Working...
                              X