Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Filler or Sawdust/Glue Mix

Hello All,

I am very much new to woodworking and as such I am coming across the issue of hiding small errors. I once had a cabinetmaker tell me the difference between an experienced woodworker and a non-experienced is how well they hide their mistakes. I am trying to make up a picture frame and find myself with small gaps in the miter joints on the back side of the frame. These are roughly a 1/16" of an inch. I have Elmer's wood filler but I have also heard of people using saw dust and glue? Is one better than the other for lasting or hiding the mistake? How much glue to how much saw dust? Is there another solution, besides having more talent in the first place ?

Thank you,
    Ryan

Re: Wood Filler or Sawdust/Glue Mix

My projects also seem to have a need for filling voids that should not be voids!

A nice slurry of sawdust and glue kinda heavy on the sawdust usually work for me. Overfill and sand down.

Wood filler is easier and much quicker to apply.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

If u`re getting a gap on the back side & not on the fron maybe your table saw blade is not at a 90 deg angle,just bring it up full hight & put a square next to & there should not be light between the square & the blade ,if there is just make the adjustment until they are both tight together .

Comment

Will this location you are fixing be in view normally? If it will not, and the gap needs also to be filled to help maintain structural integrity, use the wood/glue mix as this will have better holding power than just filler.

If the location will be in view, note that neither glue/wood nor filler stain well, but if painting over, you are OK and should probably just use filler as it is quicker/easier.

Welcome to the forum btw.
        Kevin

Comment

what about trying some 5 minute epoxy and sawdust, would this work??

Comment

sawdust and shellac is much better. Not structural but it will accept stain and pretty much anything else without issue.

Perfection nirvana on picture frames is best acheived by a shooting board and a handplane after the initial 45 deg cut with whatever power tool
            Last edited by OttawaP; 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM.
            Paul

Comment

Thank you for the replies. In general the gaps I have kept to the back of the frames. I realized half of the way through cutting the 45s that my compound miter saw blade was not 90 degrees. I'm going to have to play with sawdust/shellac/glue combos though. I can't help but feel this won't be my first mistake!

Thanks again,
              Ryan

Comment

Working...
              X