Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To keep the ego in check... what have you messedup lately?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To keep the ego in check... what have you messedup lately?

I know that everyone here is an A+ woodworker and no one ever makes any mistakes but maybe you have a 'friend' who isn't always so skilled and has some less than stellar performances we can all learn from...

for example:

The other day, I... uh, a 'friend'... was face joining a length of rough lumber (something I... um, 'he' is new to) and due to a lack of attention instead of a nice flat board I... er... my 'friend' ended up with a nice flat wedge. What did I... or rather my 'friend' learn? To think first, make sure you have the right side down, then cut.... oh, and that cherry is expensive ;)

Re: To keep the ego in check... what have you messedup lately?

Re: To keep the ego in check... what have you effedup lately?

Wow! I have a friend who goofed up too!

The other day my friend turned his brain off and went into a production run of a bunch (10 pieces) of lumber....all the proper steps, and forgot that he had (two days earlier) set his jointer fence to 87* for a special project item. The blue smoke made it hard to read the gauge when he re-set it to 90.

Comment

Over the Christmas period I was making great progress on the shop wall cabinets until I discovered that I had made 3 left gables, and one right gable.

I blame it on Ellington the shop cat, he usually catches those things, however he was snoozing off a turkey dinner overload at the time.

Regards, Rod.
      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

"My friend" usually plugs his ROS into an overhead hanging outlet....well, just last Friday he decided it was too far to walk ALL the way around the bench to grab the hanging outlet, so he elected to plug it into the floor socket instead.

He finished sanding and went to walk away when he realized too late that the cord was laying over his foot and it brought the sander off the bench.

Too bad that the area between the where the sander was, and the edge of the bench where the sander left was occupied by a 99% complete $1000.00 humidor
        I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

The top for my daughter's toy oven - 3 sides needed a round-over, and as it was slightly rectangular, it needed to be the CORRECT 3 sides. I had it all marked up, and as i was routing away, marvelling at how well it was all going, and how a simple round-over converts a plain sheet of baltic birch plywood into something fit for the cover of FWW, and gosh isn't this router table working well, and gee I wonder what's for supper, and oh hell I just rounded off the side the edge I wasn't supposed to.

Thankfully i had more plywood, the thought of buying another sheet just to notch out a 16" x 16" chunk made me unwell...

Comment

Made 2 drawers complete 1" oversize

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
              "My friend" usually plugs his ROS into an overhead hanging outlet....well, just last Friday he decided it was too far to walk ALL the way around the bench to grab the hanging outlet, so he elected to plug it into the floor socket instead.

He finished sanding and went to walk away when he realized too late that the cord was laying over his foot and it brought the sander off the bench.

Too bad that the area between the where the sander was, and the edge of the bench where the sander left was occupied by a 99% complete $1000.00 humidor
              OUCH, bet that one hurt

I had one the other day too, not wwing but electrical and I'll blame this one on my apprentice.

My apprentice had to install a new contactor in a welding panel. He installed it 180 deg out from where it should have been. By the time he realized it, all the wiring was reconnected except the coil wires, the coil connections were on the bottom but the wiring was on the top. Ooops he had to install jumpers to make it work.

Should have listened to the real apprentice who was right beside me watching.
              Mike

Comment

I can't blame this on anyone since I was the only one there. Last spring I bought a CH compresser and got it at a real good price, about 40% of the cost of new, I thought it was a great little compresser then one day it didn't work any more. I figured I got what I paid for and decided that I would scavenge any parts off it that I could. The other day when I finally got at it I put it on the bench and tried it again...nothing so before tearing it apart I thought I might as well check the electrical connections....hmmm power to the switch....power past the switch......hmmmm what's this oh, a restart button. Works like a charm. Told SWMBO what a great Mr. fix-it I am.
                Shop and Projects @
                http://community.webshots.com/user/kcjones118

Comment

Mhh... "my friend" just forgot to check humidity before applying waterbased poly... the dye and stain went on so smoothly and dried so fast.... so here we go, at 30% ambient humidity and 25 celsius wb poly is practically drying instantly with huge brush marks.

Sanding time, baby, all the way back to the wood.....

Nap.

Comment

Worked a month on a glass door cabinet, had it finished and all together. The only thing left was to attach the door pulls... Mark up the center point with an awl, take it over to the drill press. Now twist of bad luck here... a natural defect that looke dlike the awl mark: 12" from the bottom and centered. Drill it, and as I'm taking it back to teh cabinet... What is that mark... Poop. Ended up swapping the doors (left right and upside down), so the hinges are a bit off... A not so perfect end...

Comment

This one is all too funny...because it has happened to me, too! Albeit not with anything that was worth anything.

Comment

all right, im normal

Comment

I will bite.
                          Built a solid cherry bookcase 3' x 5' for a customer and the day before delivery I put it together and was short one shelf Miss counted by counting the bottom as a shelf
                          Grillzy

Comment

All this week a friend of mine is using my workshop to build a cabinet. I noticed he is a careful worker. He uses a wet rag to wipe the excess glue off the panels. Works well. I am going to start doing that too. He planes and joints all boards so they fit well and glue up perfectly. He also finishes his projects well and they turn out very good. But he used pine with 2 inch knots in the boards. I told him he shouldn't use that quality of lumber in his projects. He said he only paid 1.00 $ per foot. But it is scrap as far as I am concerned. I suggested he cut each board taking out the knots and using only the clear pine. But he won't listen. So I think he is making a big mistake and the knots will eventually fall out. In my opinion my friend Daniel messed up big time.

Comment

What ego?
                              I skrew up on a regular basis.
                              J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
                              Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

Working...
                              X