Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbecue brushes

Well G'day there!

I have had it with crappy wire brushes from WallyMart et al.

I was thinking of making my own.. When I worked as a cook years ago, one time we got this really awesome BBQ brush... it was a huge chunk of oak(1" thick, 2 feet long 2 or 3 inches wide), and the bristles were probably 2" long on it. (We called it 'the Binford') I have tried to track down one like it at restaurant suppliers without success.

Has anyone any idea of how to make one?
    -------
    Cheers,
    --Rick
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Barbecue brushes

Select brushes in mississauga manufacturers wire brushes and can get you something good.
    Mark
    www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by master finishing View Post
      Select brushes in mississauga manufacturers wire brushes and can get you something good.
      Get 4 more!
      CHEERS
      Don B

Comment

Not sure about making a bbq brush but these folks sure seem to have some nice heavy duty ones. You can even build your own online!

http://www.texasbrush.com/
        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try

Comment

Originally posted by Rickbird View Post
          Well G'day there!

I have had it with crappy wire brushes from WallyMart et al.

I was thinking of making my own.. When I worked as a cook years ago, one time we got this really awesome BBQ brush... it was a huge chunk of oak(1" thick, 2 feet long 2 or 3 inches wide), and the bristles were probably 2" long on it. (We called it 'the Binford') I have tried to track down one like it at restaurant suppliers without success.

Has anyone any idea of how to make one?
          I got this one at PA a few years ago and am very happy with it. Watch for them to come in.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	brush.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	860943

Comment

Keep Them Clean

I think all brushes degrade with use but it seems to me that if you clean it after every use it lasts a lot longer.

Does anyone have an opinion on what type of brush is best? Stainless steel, brass, .... whatever

Comment

It looks like those Texas brushes are the ones from Select brushes with a handle added on! Looks like Select Brushes may have something that would work well.

I'm not sure what kind of wire works best though; it would still be interesting to hear from people.

How do the wires get inserted into a wooden handle? Are they simply epoxied?

So my wife always comes home with those cheapo black plastic monstrosities...the wires fall out after the first use from the heat!
              Last one I bought was >$20 from Rona...nice big wooden handle... anyway, the brush as attached to the handle with a finger joint which failed after only one summer. I was using just the handle-less brush yesterday to scrape the grill when my fingers slipped, and I BBQed my fingertips! Grrrrr!
              -------
              Cheers,
              --Rick

Comment

The stainless steel ones I got at Costco a couple of years ago seem to last longer than the brass brushes I used to use. Cheaper in the long run as well.

Just my $0.02

John

Comment

Personally, I stopped using bristle brushes a couple of years ago after hearing reports that the small bristles can come off, stick to the grill and subsequently stick to the food and be ingested. One day after using my crappy bristle brush I gave it a wipe over with a paper towel and sure enough, there were a few small bristles stuck to the grill. Maybe this wouldn't be an issue with more expensive better quality brushes. But with two small kids, I opted to start using a scrubber brush/pad from Crappy Tire. It's like two scouring pads and thus far, I haven't had parts of the pad come off on the grill. The handle fell off but that was easily fixed with slightly longer screws.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...%252BBrush.jsp
                  Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try

Comment

I just use a welders wire brush with the wood handle. You can pick them up for almost nothing at Princess Auto.

Comment

Hi Rickbird,

I use a simple stainless steel brush, similar to a welder's brush................can't remember where I got it but I've had it for years................works well.

If you're going to use one of those "Texas BBQ" brushes, you'll need a Texas size BBQ to go along with it.

All the best
                      Gord

Comment

Thanks, Gord and Mike...that is a good suggestion. Turns out there is a PA not so far away in Malton (didn't know it was there!)

Nice revolver 'cue there! That's the kind they have in Newmarket, eh?
                        -------
                        Cheers,
                        --Rick

Comment

Hi Rick,

Here in Newmarket, we are serious about BBQ'ing.

All the best
                          Gord

Comment

Geez Gord,

You know as well as I do that that BBQ is coming straight from Keswick! Me being from the "wick" and all I should know. How dare you claim that is from Newmarket!

I enjoyed your seminar at the CHW show on FRiday BTW.

Kevin
                            sigpicSPCHT

Proud member since Oct '06

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Yes, you're right.

That BBQ did come from Keswick but when we stole it from you, it had a lawn mower motor in it......................
                              We here in Newmarket, being the BBQ experts that we are, dropped a 502 big block into it and made it a "real BBQ".......

Glad you liked the seminar.............you should have introduced yourself, I would have enjoyed meeting you.

All the best
                              Gord

Comment

Working...
                              X