Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ingenious uses for rare earth magnets

Hi:

I think a thread for novel uses of rare earth magnets might be interesting. I am not saying that my three here are all that ingeniuous, but here they are to get this rolling:

Glue a couple to the chainsaw so field removal of the bar doesn't result in lost bar nuts.

Stud finder. I have a commercial stud finder based on magnetic principles, but the plain magnet works much better.

I made two panels out of 1/4 inch plywood to (more or less) seal the back of my table saw. They stick on with magnets so I can easily remove them for non 90 degree cuts or maintenance.

Boulter
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Ingenious uses for rare earth magnets

I like your idea of holding the plywood panels to your saw to seal the saw and make dust collection more effective.

In my case I put a few on the front of the table saw to hold the arbour wrenches, and also a few on the side of my drill press head, to hold the Allen keys that came with it. Nothing amazing, but it works.

Comment

I use them to stick the chuck key to the drill press and lathe so I don't loose them.

I also use them as a temporary fastener to attached the dust bag to the dust collector so I can attached the clamp without the damn bag always falling off.

Comment

My ratchet set case failed and I had picked up quite a number of additional accessories over the years .... I got a camera case off criaigslist then made 3 stacking shelves inside. Sockets holder for the sockets, a slotted wrench thingie for holding the open ended wrenches... and magnets for the ratchet, extender bars, and all the other "stuff". Foam insert in the top closes ontop of the sockets making the whole thing "snug" on the inside.

Built sideways expanding shelves for the kids lockers at school. Magnets on the sides to hold them into the locker .... through "holes" in a 1/8" thick vertical board (one for each shelf corner) so they don't slide down.

I need to get the camera onto these things.

Comment

I keep a few on all my machines to hold the little Allen wrenches they come with, also to hold the screws while fixing or adjusting something.

I also built an executive watch collector's case a few years ago and used rare earth magnets under the oak veneer to make the holding power invisible
          Mike

Comment

I also use one to keep my drill press chuck key to my drill press.

I epoxied one to my beer opener to stick it to my beer fridge. That way I can always find the opener.

I epoxied another one to the golf ball that hangs in my garage so my wife knows how far to pull the car in. When I work in the garage, I stick the golf ball to the garage door opener (ceiling unit) so it's up out of the way and I don't hit my head on it!

Ryan

GALLERY OF PROJECTS: http://lumberjocks.com/galleries/Boomr99#

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan in Edmonton View Post
              I epoxied another one to the golf ball that hangs in my garage so my wife knows how far to pull the car in. When I work in the garage, I stick the golf ball to the garage door opener (ceiling unit) so it's up out of the way and I don't hit my head on it!
              Sorry about going a bit off track here, but Canadian Tire sells a parking laser for $20 that you can aim at something like an obvious point on the dash to stop your car at. Much nicer then dodging balls, though I do like your way of keeping it clear when working in the garage.
              JIM
              Calgary, AB

Comment

Ya, I know, but the golf ball and magnet cost alot less...

GALLERY OF PROJECTS: http://lumberjocks.com/galleries/Boomr99#

Comment

I use a few in the bottom of my floor scoop for my DC. It catches any stray screws, nails etc that may be in the sawdust before it gets sucked up.
                  Paul

Comment

I glued some into the backs of small wooden blocks that I use with my old steel Record clamps. Spreads the clamping surface area and saves the project from being marred.
                    Donna,
                    Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

1. I made a set of aluminium vise jaws to not mar threads and the like and recessed a pair or REMs on each one. Pop them in and pop them out!

2. A couple of magnets in a plastic parts bag are good to catch chips on the metal lathe - put hand in bag, turn inside out and all oily chips are in the bag and off the magnet and into the scrap barrel.

3. Hot glue one to the side of your cordless drill to hold screws when hanging from a ladder.

4. Use to hold your shower curtain to the sides of your tub so the bloody thing doesn't billow up and envelope a person like a human wonton!!

Comment

I tape a long small round one to my hammer drill robertson bit. The magnetic force holds the screw on the bit so you don't have to. Works good when your working off a ladder and trying to hang on to the ladder with one hand.

Comment

Yes. the rare earth magnets are great.

I have a 6 inch board along the wall behind my bench. There I have installed these magnets to hold my most often used tools. Retrieving and replacing them works like a damn.

I used two small ones in each of two oak strips to use on my metal vice as 'soft jaws'.

At that location, I also have a number of them, covered with duct tape, on which I hold files.

I also use them to hold dedicated tools such as open/box wrenches, allen wrenches for my jointer, planer and spindle sander.

Lee Valley also sell a magnet that has s short handle which I use to hold notes to a metal covered paper holder, to the metal clad door of my shop and another that is a coiled spring on a magnet to holds pencil. As I am always looking for a pencil, I have one of these each at my band saw, drill press, table saw, scroll saw and vice. Maybe more places I can not think of right now.

At one time I used two to hold a #05 plane, wall mounted so that it was held on it's side, leaving the sole free of contact and also three for a 22 inch jointer #07 plane. These 'plane' magnets were so strong that the fixture could be held upside down and the planes would not fall.

No doubt about it. They work great for me.

I hope that some of my uses can be a help to others.

Woodie

Comment

Every so often I stick a few to the back of my wrist, to remind me, to never ever, again use a cold chisel with a "mushroomed" end!!
                            When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

I arrange them in a pyramidal shape around my bed. I feel great every morning when I wake up.
                              Chris Wong
                              http://flairwoodworks.com

If you don't think your work is good enough, maybe you need a Magic Square.

Comment

Working...
                              X