X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ingenious uses for rare earth magnets

Originally posted by Backflush View Post
    I use them to stick the chuck key to the drill press and lathe so I don't loose them.

I also use them as a temporary fastener to attached the dust bag to the dust collector so I can attached the clamp without the damn bag always falling off.
    Simply reach out with your third hand to hold the bag whilst you attach the clamp. simple solution... Whats the problem? Lets see??? Where is that third hand, I know I must have one else they wouldn't have designed the DC in such a fashion, recon the Designer was playing a joke or thinking magic would hold it in place...

Tape don't work cause DC is dusty and the tape don't hold... I think I will affix a couple to the metal ring to use next time I magicly replace the DC bag... Thanks for that tip... and yours too Boulter
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

The gas tank door latch on my wifes tracker rusted off, used a magnet cup from LV to hold the magnet, the door sticks to it prety good.
      Johnnyinnb
      He's a block off the old chip

Comment

I don't know about ingenious, but I used 1/2" rare earth magnets to hold my tool cabinet doors closed.

My son made a parts retriever from a RE magnet taped to the end of a stick. We keep it handy by attaching it to the frame of the lathe.

I use them to clean any steel chips out of the brass swarf from the metal lathe.

There must be thousands of ways to hang/secure tools using RE magnets.

I make fridge magnets as stocking stuffers for Christmas. Just turn some interesting scrap wood on the lathe.

Small ones make good latches for pen boxes.

Some ideas.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan in Edmonton View Post
          Ya, I know, but the golf ball and magnet cost alot less...
          Well , if you don't like Jim's laser idea, at least a (free) tennis ball is easier on the head
          Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

I tape a magnet to spare keys for house, car etc, then hide them in an accessable but well hiden place. Saved me a call to the locksmith more than once.
            Ken

Imagination is more important than knowledge. A Einstein

Comment

Used them as an extra hand on the tail stock of my lathe when I want to use a washer to prevent the tail stock from digging too far into the work piece. The magnet holds the washer on the cone of the tail stock so that I can use one hand to center the piece and the other to tighten the tail stock. Works like a charm.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
              Working...
              X