X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrooge
    replied
    Re: Ingenious uses for rare earth magnets

Used them as an extra hand on the tail stock of my lathe when I want to use a washer to prevent the tail stock from digging too far into the work piece. The magnet holds the washer on the cone of the tail stock so that I can use one hand to center the piece and the other to tighten the tail stock. Works like a charm.

Leave a comment:

• DalbergiaGuy
    replied

I tape a magnet to spare keys for house, car etc, then hide them in an accessable but well hiden place. Saved me a call to the locksmith more than once.

Leave a comment:

• Woodwreck
    replied

Originally posted by Ryan in Edmonton View Post
    Ya, I know, but the golf ball and magnet cost alot less...
    Well , if you don't like Jim's laser idea, at least a (free) tennis ball is easier on the head

Leave a comment:

• KenL
    replied

I don't know about ingenious, but I used 1/2" rare earth magnets to hold my tool cabinet doors closed.

My son made a parts retriever from a RE magnet taped to the end of a stick. We keep it handy by attaching it to the frame of the lathe.

I use them to clean any steel chips out of the brass swarf from the metal lathe.

There must be thousands of ways to hang/secure tools using RE magnets.

I make fridge magnets as stocking stuffers for Christmas. Just turn some interesting scrap wood on the lathe.

Small ones make good latches for pen boxes.

Some ideas.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• john blanchard
    replied

The gas tank door latch on my wifes tracker rusted off, used a magnet cup from LV to hold the magnet, the door sticks to it prety good.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Simpson
    replied

Originally posted by Backflush View Post
    I use them to stick the chuck key to the drill press and lathe so I don't loose them.

I also use them as a temporary fastener to attached the dust bag to the dust collector so I can attached the clamp without the damn bag always falling off.
    Simply reach out with your third hand to hold the bag whilst you attach the clamp. simple solution... Whats the problem? Lets see??? Where is that third hand, I know I must have one else they wouldn't have designed the DC in such a fashion, recon the Designer was playing a joke or thinking magic would hold it in place...

Tape don't work cause DC is dusty and the tape don't hold... I think I will affix a couple to the metal ring to use next time I magicly replace the DC bag... Thanks for that tip... and yours too Boulter

Leave a comment:

• flairwoodworks
    replied

I arrange them in a pyramidal shape around my bed. I feel great every morning when I wake up.

Leave a comment:

• hoss10
    replied

Every so often I stick a few to the back of my wrist, to remind me, to never ever, again use a cold chisel with a "mushroomed" end!!

Leave a comment:

• georgewoodie
    replied

Yes. the rare earth magnets are great.

I have a 6 inch board along the wall behind my bench. There I have installed these magnets to hold my most often used tools. Retrieving and replacing them works like a damn.

I used two small ones in each of two oak strips to use on my metal vice as 'soft jaws'.

At that location, I also have a number of them, covered with duct tape, on which I hold files.

I also use them to hold dedicated tools such as open/box wrenches, allen wrenches for my jointer, planer and spindle sander.

Lee Valley also sell a magnet that has s short handle which I use to hold notes to a metal covered paper holder, to the metal clad door of my shop and another that is a coiled spring on a magnet to holds pencil. As I am always looking for a pencil, I have one of these each at my band saw, drill press, table saw, scroll saw and vice. Maybe more places I can not think of right now.

At one time I used two to hold a #05 plane, wall mounted so that it was held on it's side, leaving the sole free of contact and also three for a 22 inch jointer #07 plane. These 'plane' magnets were so strong that the fixture could be held upside down and the planes would not fall.

No doubt about it. They work great for me.

I hope that some of my uses can be a help to others.

Woodie

Leave a comment:

• North Woods Forman
    replied

I tape a long small round one to my hammer drill robertson bit. The magnetic force holds the screw on the bit so you don't have to. Works good when your working off a ladder and trying to hang on to the ladder with one hand.

Leave a comment:

• rst277
    replied

1. I made a set of aluminium vise jaws to not mar threads and the like and recessed a pair or REMs on each one. Pop them in and pop them out!

2. A couple of magnets in a plastic parts bag are good to catch chips on the metal lathe - put hand in bag, turn inside out and all oily chips are in the bag and off the magnet and into the scrap barrel.

3. Hot glue one to the side of your cordless drill to hold screws when hanging from a ladder.

4. Use to hold your shower curtain to the sides of your tub so the bloody thing doesn't billow up and envelope a person like a human wonton!!

Leave a comment:

• Donna H
    replied

I glued some into the backs of small wooden blocks that I use with my old steel Record clamps. Spreads the clamping surface area and saves the project from being marred.

Leave a comment:

• OttawaP
    replied

I use a few in the bottom of my floor scoop for my DC. It catches any stray screws, nails etc that may be in the sawdust before it gets sucked up.

Leave a comment:

• RSWoodworks
    replied

Ya, I know, but the golf ball and magnet cost alot less...

Leave a comment:

• BearLeeAlive
    replied

Originally posted by Ryan in Edmonton View Post
    I epoxied another one to the golf ball that hangs in my garage so my wife knows how far to pull the car in. When I work in the garage, I stick the golf ball to the garage door opener (ceiling unit) so it's up out of the way and I don't hit my head on it!
    Sorry about going a bit off track here, but Canadian Tire sells a parking laser for $20 that you can aim at something like an obvious point on the dash to stop your car at. Much nicer then dodging balls, though I do like your way of keeping it clear when working in the garage.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X