Protecting HW floors from chair legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting HW floors from chair legs

I'm just about to start refinishing floors in my new house and I'm looking for a felt glider/slider to attach to my chairs to protect them from marring the floor. They are chairs were inherited and are from Denmark (60s). They currently have smooth metal sliders hammered into each leg and I've tried attaching felt in various forms but they never stick for long. Does anyone have a recommendations for what to try next? I'm considering:

Pro Glides
    Glitsa safeglides

I'd really like to avoid using chair socks
    ---
    Randy
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Protecting HW floors from chair legs

i have been using self adhesive thick felt pads, available from any local Home Center or discount house (BORG & Super Store). Yes, you have to replace them from time to time. I have used the Nylon capped nails but they also seem to cratch when they get old. I prefer the felt ones although you have to replace them from time to time. (price you have to pay for an easy glide)
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Comment

I just removed the metal glides, lightly sanded the bottom of the legs to clean it up, and used the self-sticking felt pad material from Cdn Tire. The pre-cut round stuff fit the front legs and I custom trimmed the sheet stuff for the rectangular rear legs.

Did have one come slightly unstuck after about 8 months. They've been on about 1.5 years now. I wouldn't say it is ideal but it does seem to work.

billh

Comment

What....nobody likes tennis balls on the chair legs???

www.lasallewoodworks.com

Comment

Like Bill, I clean up the bottom of the legs with some sanding before sticking the adhesive pads. I find it sticks better to a smoother surface.

Whether they're felt pads, plastic, or metal, debris will get under them and scratch the hell out of your floors. I routinely wipe (or vacuum felt pads) the bottom clean.

I also give my dog a manicure and pedicure each week. That includes filing the claws smooth in case you manly men don't know what I'm talking about.
          Shane in Coquitlam, BC

Comment

Trunk Liner Felt

I like to glue trunk liner felt. It really holds up and a small piece can make alot of chair leg pads.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by BIGWOOD View Post
              I routinely wipe (or vacuum felt pads) the bottom clean.
              That's the only way to stop scratching. If I received a dime for every clogged up felt pad or grit encrusted nylon or metal glide I've replaced, I would be extremely affluent and in a different location. Folks never seem to learn that whatever is on the bottom of the chair leg should be cleaned as often as the floor it sits on.

Paul

Comment

Personally I use the felt pads but have seen people (particularly living in the country) using knitted "socks" for chairs. They last quite a while and you can wash the dirt out of them.
                "Shopping" for me means a day in my shop!

Comment

After getting frustrated with the felt pads, and wearing on the hardwood from either grit caught in the felt, or because the felt was always coming loose, I got rid of all of them. I now only use the hard plastic ones. After about 10 years now, there has not been one fall off, and no damage to the floor from them. I use the ones with the nail head on them for chairs.
                  JIM
                  Calgary, AB

Comment

The tennis ball covered with a nice knitted sock could be a winner!
                    Egon
                    from
                    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
                    X