X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Home Depot Rent Cabinet lifters

Hi

I just wanted to ask here before I go and they look at me Dumb

I really need to get this kitchen installed and was reading about these lift helpers for holding upper cabinets.

Just was wondering if a place like home depot would rent them

Any help would be great thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Does Home Depot Rent Cabinet lifters

you dont need them

starting with a wall angle 24, typical situation, mark your lines at 54 inches(level) determine stud locations and predrill cabinet

fasten two vertical scraps of whatever to the wall on the studs and on the level lines, about 24 inches long and vertical to hold the first cabinet, fine tune it and screw it to the wall

the rest is easy, screw a cabinet to the previous one, level shim and screw

done it a thousand times
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I agree with steve, you shouldn't need one. I would use his method, but I also have these Task Quick Support rods, which would help even better for holding the cabinet in position until you get the first couple of screws in. You would position the cabinet on a ledger which is fastened to the wall, and brace the front with one or two of these TQS rods, which is still be available at HD, for probable around $35 each.

I've owned two of them for about 8 years, and have used them around the house many times. They hold a good load, have a sliding height adjustment offering a range of height usage of 3 or 4 feet beyond the main column height, have ruberized swivel head and foot, and can be fine tuned for final adjustment via simply twisting the whole unit which has threaded ends at both ends. One handed use is a breeze. I highly recommend them if you are often doing renos alone, or simply your better half's hands are busy holding onto to their pillow when you need her.

Kevin

Comment

SteveM and Lostin... make the point that you probably don't need them but if you need to live up to your screen name , then they sell for ~$40 a pair or less on sale - prices fluctuate - or Harbor Flotsom has 'em for maybe $20 each. No point in renting them IMHO, even if they are available . I have a pair, never get around to using them - too much trouble to set up mostly.

WW
        Start slowly, wind down gracefully
        woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

I install the base cabinets first and use a custom built 'box' with adjustable feet to set the uppers after placing a sheet of plywood down on them.

Image attached.
          The legs are from an Ikea kitchen.
          Attached Files
          Please remember that free advise from the Internet is worth what you paid for it ...

Comment

OK... another post not addressing your original question...

I'm going to go against the grain and support your renting a cabinet lift if you got the money... and considering how much a kitchen costs why not make it easy on yourself.

Screwing a ledger on the wall works great... no argument... But a cabinet lift does offer some perks:

- You can assemble a bank of cabinets all at once and get reveals and faces nice and perfect and then lift the whole shebang into place. This works well when your walls are wonky.

- You can use it for cabinets that are tricky to level or may not go all the way to the back wall like above laundry facilities or in the fridge enclusure.

- You can play with the height if wanted... little up... little down...

- Don't have to do the one handed drill...

- Don't have to patch ledger holes.

- You can use it to dolly around base cabinets if you are working alone.

Again, I concede not an essential tool by any stretch, but it sure is nice to have when working alone.

I made my own from a series of pics on the internet.

Matt
            Attached Files
            SPCHT

Comment

Looks good, Matt.
              How adjustable is it? And why haven't I seen that until now?

Please remember that free advise from the Internet is worth what you paid for it ...

Comment

I built a solid wood, heavy ply cased kitchen a few years ago and lifted the uppers with a homemade lift. Steel, heavy but very functional, operated by a boat winch. It was manufactured in a local school machine shop. The lift works off the floor or off the lowers-on wheels.
                I'm 1.75 hours away from Port Hope. If you wish, you may borrow it anytime. I have no immediate need for it so there's no time limit. If you are interested, contact me before next Tues or there be will a little wait.
                Good luck with the project.

Comment

Don't know if this will help but they look like a great idea.

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/...cabinet-jacks/

Scroll down some and you will be able to watch the video on how they work.

Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Leadbeater View Post
                    Don't know if this will help but they look like a great idea.

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/...cabinet-jacks/

Scroll down some and you will be able to watch the video on how they work.

Stephen
                    Now those are a well thought out little devices. Good video along with it, and the site's got other good stuff too.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by jlhaslip View Post
                      And why haven't I seen that until now?
                      Guys gotta keep a couple Ace's up his sleeve... I forget how high it goes but it just makes it for fridge cabinets. I'm going to modify the base so it can go an extra 4 inches.

Stephen,

Those are awesome! I'm going to make one up next time the need arises. I've used a ledger in the past when bases needed to go in first. I think if I had only one job to do I'd do bases first and use something like that or what Jlhaslip has, make it in 20 minutes and use the clamps for something else when you are done.

Matt
                      SPCHT

Comment

matt in golden Re: Does Home Depot Rent Cabinet lifters
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure you did either

Comment

Matt,

Pm sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith in Brantford View Post
                            matt in golden Re: Does Home Depot Rent Cabinet lifters
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure you did either
                            ... Poor wording on my part... I was refering to my post that followed that statement as yet another one also not addressing the original question.

OK... http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...ay=buying_tool

It would appear from this list that HD does not carry cabinet lifts for rental as a standard item, but i guess it's always worth a call.

I was starting to feel guilty.

Matt
                            Last edited by matt in golden; 11-06-2010, 12:27 AM.
                            SPCHT

Comment

Omg

Thankyou for all the replys and help

I made a Jig to install the cabinets by myself worked great

Will post some pictures soon

Comment

Working...
                              X