Digital angle gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital angle gauge

I've been thinking about picking up a digital angle gauge and was wondering what others think of them?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...56&cat=1,43513

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/ANGLE-GAUGE-DIGITAL%252d-WIXEY.html

Are they worth the $40 they go for?

AK
    I have one and love it.
    60.00%
    I have one and never use it.
    7.37%
    I'd like to get one at some point.
    22.11%
    I have no interest in getting one.
    10.53%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Andrew_K99; 11-11-2010, 09:30 PM. Reason: Added links
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Digital angle gauge

Originally posted by Andrew_K99 View Post
    I've been thinking about picking up a digital angle gauge and was wondering what others think of them?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...56&cat=1,43513

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/ANGLE-GAUGE-DIGITAL%252d-WIXEY.html

Are they worth the $40 they go for?

AK
    I wouldn't be without one now!! They are ideal for setting a TS blade or BS blade and I use mine all the time.

Comment

Received one as a gift last Xmas and that's I found out that my TS blade wasn't set to a perfect 90 degree. So got out my Delta manual and adjusted the saw.

Dan

Comment

I reviewed the Wixey Digital Angle Gauge way back when they were new....I believe my review went something like: "There are very few tools on the planet that can instantly make you a better woodworker....this is one of them"

Several years later I stand by that. The Wixey gauge is one of the most used tools in my shop, and one of very few I couldn't live without. Tablesaw, Bandsaw, Jointer, Miter saw, Drill press.....all get a check with the Wixey before use. I 100% guarantee you won't regret buying one.

Ryan
        Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 11-12-2010, 12:43 AM.
        I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

I 1000% agree with Ryan. Although I am quite new to woodworking, the addition of the Wixey digital angle and the wixey tilt box are 2 of the most relied appon tools I use, and I have noticed an improvement in the outcome of my projects because of them. Great tools IMHO.
          Successfully turning nice wood into smaller pieces of firewood, one swear at a time.

Comment

I picked up the Wixey recently. Was so impressed with it, I also bought the Digital Fence gauge. I had always had the Lee Valley digital protractor - first version.

You won't regret this purchase.

Don

Comment

I purchased the wixey digital angle gauge when they first came out. It's worth every penny! I set it onto a level, and then place that on stairs so I can determine the pitch/angle, also fantastic for setting the angle on the table saw.

I ordered it during the wrong time of year though mid December. It arrived the first week or March! Christmas time the postal service is busy! and the customs folks were probably backed up. Back then it was only available from the Eastern States.

Comment

Well I think that has answered my question! I'll be buying one.

I found the following comparison online (Wixey vs. Beall Tilt Box) and think I'll end up going with the Tilt Box that Lee Valley sells.

http://www.routerforums.com/tool-rev...gle-gauge.html

Thanks for all the responses!!
                AK

Comment

I've had the Beall 'Tilt Box' and have found it to be accurate and very rugged. I like that it uses a 'full-sized' 9 v. battery rather than the lower capacity button cells.

I also have a digital protrator but don't use it much as a traditional sliding bevel typically works fine in most instances - but still would not give it away.

Lee Valley has added this new/sale offering on its website yet; received an email from them on it.......
                  http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,66776&p=66776
                  While cheaper than either the Wixley or Beall units (and it has a laser thrown in), I think the smaller size of of Wixley or Beall make them a first choice.

good luck

michael

Comment

Have to swim against the tide here a bit. I didn't answer the questionnaire -- I own a Wixey, but don't reach for it that much. I'm just as likely to use something mechanical. I bought the Beall first, but had to return it to the store because the reading was going haywire. The clerk at the store brought out a replacement which he tried out with the same result. Might have been battery problems, or just bad luck. In any case I went with the Wixey from BB with no problems. The battery's still going strong after a couple of years, and replacements are easy to find.
                    Jim

Comment

I have a digital angle finder and a tilt box. They are great for "rough" carpentry etc.

If the angle is critical I use trigonometry and a measuring tape to get the right angle -- as I have discussed before in cabinet threads.

If you are doing precision work they really don't cut it -- especially at or near 0-90-270 degrees. (unless the unit has one of the more expensive IC chips with look-up tables for those critical angles.) ..and yes I have tested for error.
                      ---
                      Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Comment

I have the Beall and really like it. Besides machinery setup, there are numerous times I've used it in places where a level wouldn't fit or one-handed while on a ladder.

The only thing I don't like is having to use a screwdriver to remove 4 screws to remove the battery.

Comment

How do these items hold up in cold storage. My shop is unheated when not in use, and weeks can go by before it does. I'm always leary about electronics and the cold and try to avoid buying stuff like this. I got a protractor some time ago, and the battery died quite quickly under these conditions.

Comment

Hi Warren

Was your protractor this one from LV http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...78&cat=1,43513

I bought one of these a while back. I took it out of the packaging and checked it out, and put it back in the packaging. Weeks later when I went to use it the battery was dead. I thought, "stupid me" I must have left it on when I put it away. Later I bought a new battery and installed it. Checked the unit out, turned it off and put it back in the package. I pulled it out the next day to use it and found that it was on. Maybe I wasn't so stupid the first time. After playing with it for a while I realized that if you turn it off then move the protractor it turns itself back on. I do not know if this is just with mine or they are all made that way. Now I store it with the battery removed.

Dave

Comment

Dave,

that was the one.

Comment

Working...
                              X