Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas fireplace venting restrictions

Hi,
    I'm looking at finishing my basement and installing a gas fireplace. I understand there are likely some restrictions in the Ontario Building Code with respect to venting and how close the exhaust outlet can be to certain things. I would imagine you would need to have a certain clearance from windows, gas lines, HRV intakes, etc. Does anyone know what these are or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Re: Gas fireplace venting restrictions

Re: Gas fireplce venting restrictions

Why don't you get a hold of a place that sells and installs them. Just say you want to buy one, and you want to do the rough in, but you're not sure where per regulations you would not be allowed to have one.
    Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Nate042 View Post
      Hi,
      I'm looking at finishing my basement and installing a gas fireplace. I understand there are likely some restrictions in the Ontario Building Code with respect to venting and how close the exhaust outlet can be to certain things. I would imagine you would need to have a certain clearance from windows, gas lines, HRV intakes, etc. Does anyone know what these are or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Google the Ontario Building code. Or buy a book at chapters...

The wood stove stores are pretty busy these days -- installing wood stoves for people tired of paying the electrical power companies.

Those are pretty general questions and would take a lot of research to answer -- especially with no information on the installation location in the houses -- i.e. plans and pictures.

Maybe you should draw up a plan take some pictures of the potential location and re-state the questions with specific instances.
      ---
      Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Comment

One thing you might have to consider is a chimney instead of a vent if the area where the fireplace is located experiences high drifting of snow against your house. If you experience high drifting that would cover the vent then a chimney would be needed unless you our someone in your house would want to shovel out the vent when it fills in. Trust me after having to snowblow my driveway after the snowplow went down my street at 11:00pm after heavy snowfall. I had to then drive to someone's house and shovel out an exhaust vent for a furnace. The exhaust vent was then replaced with a chimney. The exhaust vent was about six feet above ground.

One pitfall to avoid.

Marty

Comment

I can't quote the restrictions but obviously there are a few. like under a window or close to an intake vent etc. A lot of it is common sense too but any gas company/supplier will have pamphlets or online info.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Don`t forget the insurance company.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

The Ontario Gas Utilization Code has very specific rules about venting.These have changed a lot over the years so i can't quote the latest.If you google the fireplace manufacturers for an installation guide you may find some info there.However be aware that the US and Ontario are different in their requirements.Gas fireplaces used to have to have a damper that could not be fully closed.I suggest being very careful of the venting or you may not wake up.The gas fitter should also carry out monoxide and backflow tests with max exhaust fans running,Hope this helps a bit J

Comment

Every gas fireplace manual contains all the information you need regarding terminations, non-combustible clearances, venting requirements, etc. - usually in two very handy drawings.

PDF versions of these manuals are available in most, if not all manufacturer's websites.

Which fireplace(s) are you considering for your basement?
                --
                CK

Comment

Csa

Gas code set's the standards for gas fired appliances. You can also get free info from your natural gas company.

http://standardsactivities.csa.ca/St...2009-8_Gas.pdf

Comment

Thanks Kevin,
                    I went online and downloaded a few manuals for various models of fireplace, had clearances listed in there. A few of the clearances were
                    12" from a window (horiz., vert.)
                    3' from gas meter regulator
                    6' from mechanical air intake (HRV).

I haven't checked witht he local building folks yet, but that's next on my list.

Comment

Working...
                    X