Build an Air Hockey Table?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build an Air Hockey Table?

The other day I helped a friend move a pool table and a nice sized air hockey table which got me wondering...has anyone tried to build their own air hockey table. It doesn't seem to be that difficult of a project to undertake, so of course I turned to Google to see if anything turned up.

I found one project documented on the instructables web site, which seemed pretty neat.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Air-Hockey-Table-1/

The biggest hurdle I would think, is to find a suitable blower to give you enough air pressure. buying one new is quite costly, I wonder what a person could scavenge one from...a dust collector that is sitting unused maybe

Has anyone on CWW has tried their hand at making one of these game tables?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Build an Air Hockey Table?

I built one years ago. You have to drill a million holes. I was insane, as every hole took three steps with a drill. (3 different size bits) The holes were bigger at the botton and smaller at the top. I got his idea from some plan, it was supposed to make the air flow better. I used a good quality melamine for the top. The blowers were a learning curve. I tried several including, a heavy duty turbine I bought surplus from PA. They all lacked enough air volume. What did work (and this is really strange) was when I mounted 2 "muffin fans" (the type you see cooling computers, only larger, I think they are almost 6 inches). I simply built a box for them and mounted them on the bottom. They worked well. I think you need volume and not pressure. You also need to seal any seems to stop air leaking.

When the kids are home they still use the table. It is heavy and takes up a lot of room (it's 4X8), but it makes a good place to store stuff! Good luck.

PS Buy the paddles and pucks it's not worth making them. (be there and done that)
    Last edited by hoss10; 12-08-2010, 05:18 PM.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

Hi Chris...it so happens I have a fan salvaged from an air hockey game...works perfectly. If you would like it just send me a PM.

Regards, Mark.

Comment

Hi. Built one about 40 years ago. Had no tools other than a drill and a skilsaw. The table top base was particle board with holes drilled through a peg board for uniform spacing for the air supply. The top was arborite with holes drilled to match the particle board. The space for air was solid to which I attached a bladed exhaust fan out of someone's kitchen. Worked well for a lot of years. The biggest expense was for the thin drill bits used to bore holes in the arborite. Broke a gazillion of them. My son loved it.
        Herb Droogendyk
        Brantford ON

Comment

Originally posted by hoss10 View Post

I built one years ago. You have to drill a million holes. I was insane, as every hole took three steps with a drill. (3 different size bits) The holes were bigger at the botton and smaller at the top. I got his idea from some plan, it was supposed to make the air flow better. I used a good quality melamine for the top. The blowers were a learning curve. I tried several including, a heavy duty turbine I bought surplus from PA. They all lacked enough air volume. What did work (and this is really strange) was when I mounted 2 "muffin fans" (the type you see cooling computers, only larger, I think they are almost 6 inches). I simply built a box for them and mounted them on the bottom. They worked well. I think you need volume and not pressure. You also need to seal any seems to stop air leaking.

When the kids are home they still use the table. It is heavy and takes up a lot of room (it's 4X8), but it makes a good place to store stuff! Good luck.

PS Buy the paddles and pucks it's not worth making them. (be there and done that)
          4x8!? Wholy sh** that is impressive would be fun!

For the 3 drill bits... couldn't you just countersink from the bottom?

-Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

9 year old thread.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X