Alternative to 12" slider Mitre Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to 12" slider Mitre Saw

I couple of years ago I bought a Bosch 12" slider with the Ridgid SUV stand. In my excitement to purchase a new tool I really never thought it through. The saw is way too big for my one car garage shop so I'm thinking of selling it.

Now I need to pick an intelligent replacement for it. I had the thought to just use my circular saw to do my cross cuts in large rough lumber then go to my stationary tools for the rest of the work. I'm ok with doing this but then I started thinking that having at least a 10" mitre saw will allow me to do trim work (which I don't do very often). Do I try for the 10" slider? I'm not sure, I suspect it will take up too much room (front to back).

I might just build a bench top similar to the classic 10" mitre saw stand you see in magazines (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/3874) and use it with my circular saw for now. If the need arises for a mitre saw then I guess a trip to the store would be in order.

Any thoughts out there on the best solution for me?
    Last edited by Peter in Maple Ridge; 07-28-2011, 02:25 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Alternative to 12" slider Mitre Saw

My suggestion is to build a crosscut sled for your tablesaw, and skip the sliding compound saw.

I have a radial arm saw that I thought I'd use for crosscuts but after making a sled , I usually find I don't want to go to the effort to clear it off, the sled works just as well for crosscuts, and I assume that if I made a second one for miters it would be useful too.

the only real advantage of the sliding miter saws that I can see, over a radial arm saw ( and there are lots of cheap used RAS) is portability. If you take it from site to sie they are good.
    Phil
    “The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” -Bertrand Russell

Comment

I use my non slider more than the slider. Just go and get a non sliding miter saw and you will be able to do almost everything you want. Radials are too big to lug around and a sled is useless for baseboard and trim. There is nothing better for crosscutting boards than a miter saw.
      "Do it Right!"

Comment

I think the sled is the way to go if you are looking for space. I have had both a 12" and 10" and the 10" saved no space(or very little). You can hang a sled on the wall.

Just my 2 Cents

Keith
        Last edited by Keith in Wloo; 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

rough lumber is easily cut with a skill saw, sliding crosscut table on the tablesaw for small fine work, radialarm for larger pieces, sliding compound miter saw is a jobsite tool only
          thats my method
          my shop is a beaver lodge
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Hi, I'm in agreement with a lot of the posts, the issue is what do you want the mitre saw for?

I make furniture (don't normally do any site work or trim work), so I don't have a use for a radial arm or mitre saw.

I use my tablesaw for everything, including breaking down rough lumber, unless I can't lift the piece, then I use a circular saw.

If you want a slider and space is the issue, buy a Kapex.

If you don't need a sliding mitre saw but want something portable for fence boards, trim etc then buy a non slider.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I've added a link below to illustrate why I use my saw to do everything, it's no solution however if you need portability.

http://www.hammerusa.com/products_vi...c&region=us-us

Before I owned that saw, I had a general cabinet saw with a couple of home made sleds, as other people have suggested.
            Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 07-29-2011, 07:06 AM. Reason: added P.S.
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

As I thought, I will sell the 12" slider and stand and start my search for a replacement 10" mitre saw. My mitre saw will be for trim work and general construction related tasks around the house. If I don't find one right away I'm comfortable with using my circular saw and my stationary tools.

Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum with great members.

Comment

Re: Alternative to 12" slider MITRE Saw

I'm in agreement with most of the guys. I have a 10" slider but for any precision work I use the table saw. I have 90,45 and 22.5 degree sleds, the slider is basically for rough cutting stuff. It's a shame actually because it's a nice saw, but for cutting precision it takes more time to set up than the sleds on the tables saw. If i did it over again, probably just a straight 10" miter.

Comment

Working...
                X