Making Tenons on a Shaper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Tenons on a Shaper

Hi, I had the shaper setup to make rails and stiles for a cabinet door so I thought I would post some photographs in case anyone is interested.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Grooving the Rail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	942223

The above photo shows a rail being grooved. The clear plastic guard pushes the wood against the fence, while the grey horizontal pad holds it against the table. This is a standard Euro or Shaw type guard and allows a push block to be used.

Normally I would use a stock feeder for grooving, however I decided to show a Euro guard in action in case anyone wanted to make one for their shaper or router table.

Name:	Cutter and Tenon Hood.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	942224

The above photograph shows the tenon hood installed on the shaper, with the guard raised all the way up, and a 125mm X 50mm carbide insert knife rebate head installed on the spindle.

Name:	Tenon Table Installed.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	942225

The above photo shows the tenon table installed on the saw/shaper sliding table. The table has a large guard with an opening through which the work piece is placed. The shaper cutter is completely covered during operation as the guard slides along with the table.

Name:	Fence and Stop Installed.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	942226

The above photo shows the fence from the saw installed on the tenon table, along with the flip stop to position the workpiece.

Name:	Workpiece Clamped in Place.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	942227

The above photograph shows the eccentric clamp attached to the sliding table, the workpiece and a backer board to prevent chip out on the exit side of the tenon. Note that the piece is loaded with the cutter completely covered by the sliding guard. The cutter is also completely covered when the cut is completed and the piece removed.

Name:	Cutting the Tenon.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	942228

The above photo was taken with the clamp removed, to illustrate the tenon hood and sliding guard in action.

Name:	Completed Tenon.jpg
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	942229

A close up of the completed tenon. If the tenon needed to have shoulders cut on all four sides, the workpieces would have been run through again on the other two edges to produce a standard tenon.

Name:	Rail and Stile.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	942230

The above rails and stiles will be used for a frame and panel door that has a veneered plywood panel..........Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 01-04-2012, 05:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ejw1234567890 likes this.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Making Tenons on a Shaper

That Hammer of yours just reeks precision. Makes my General tenoning jig on the 350 seem cumbersome and unrefined, grr!

Thanks for sharing the clear pics.

Comment

Thanks for showing that Rod. I haven't seen the euro combo machines in action so it's new to me.
      It would take some experience with the equipment to become comfortable because we are accustomed to watching the cutting process as it takes place where once set up, this is essentially cutting blind. Of course if the setup is right in the first place then it's a moot point and safer to be fully guarded.. just different.

Comment

Originally posted by SnackRat1 View Post
        ..... Makes my General tenoning jig on the 350 seem cumbersome and unrefined, grr!......
        Does anyone actually use tenoning jigs to cut tenons?
        The only use I've found for mine (besides as a boat anchor) is to cut slots for splines.

Comment

Thanks for posting the pictures Rod. How long can you make the tenon with that type of set up?
          Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Thom View Post
            Does anyone actually use tenoning jigs to cut tenons?
            The only use I've found for mine (besides as a boat anchor) is to cut slots for splines.
            Actually, about 40 of my students per semester do...it's a start. In time the keener ones will advance to better methods. Kinda like Rod.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeddd View Post
              Thanks for posting the pictures Rod. How long can you make the tenon with that type of set up?
              Hi Mike, with the rebate head about 25mm, the largest tenon cutter that fits my machine will cut about 70mm long tenons..........Rod.

Comment

Rod that looks like a really slick way to make tenons. I will be trying that out with my shaper, I don't have a slider though I will have to get by with a coping sled.
                Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Rod why don't you put on two heads and do it one pass, its way less fidgeting to setup? Just buy a good set of metal shims, its plenty safe with the slider and clamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn in Caledon View Post
                    Rod why don't you put on two heads and do it one pass, its way less fidgeting to setup? Just buy a good set of metal shims, its plenty safe with the slider and clamp.
                    Hi Glenn, I do that as well, yet it isn't less fidley to adjust it's worse.

With a single cutter I only have to sneak up on the height setting. With two disks I have to set the height and the spacing, far too much work for 4 rails. Now if I have 20 or 30 to do then the dual cutter saves time...........Regards, Rod.

Comment

Nice machine Rod!

Comment

I do!! Often.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                          Hi Glenn, I do that as well, yet it isn't less fidley to adjust it's worse.

With a single cutter I only have to sneak up on the height setting. With two disks I have to set the height and the spacing, far too much work for 4 rails. Now if I have 20 or 30 to do then the dual cutter saves time...........Regards, Rod.
                          I would suggest getting custom sized spacers made for the various thicknesses of plywoods/mdf. Then make your panels that thickness You can also get 2 of them where each one is half the width of the plywood (when stacked they equal the thickness of the plywood), then just use some smaller shims to add a little play. Mark a board, bring one cutter to exactly that spot, done.

I think Royce Carbide actually sells them as well as the shims of various thicknesses, otherwise a machine shop could probably make them for a reasonable price.

Ian

Comment

Thanks Ian, I have the set of Felder shims for the cutters, they work great.

I have to admit that I infrequently make frame and panel items, the above example was the only one in 2011..............Regards, Rod.

Comment

Global have these type of heads for $199. That looks like a good price? I have ordered from them before, fast easy service, http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/
                              I use a proper bagger head for this opperation.
                              Cheers, Mark
                              Last edited by Mark in Burlington; 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM.
                              sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X