Converting a log to lumber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a log to lumber

Hi, I live in a townhouse complex in Toronto, and the Green Ash trees in my neighbourhood have been infected with the Emerald Ash Borer.

Over the next few years all 40 trees will be removed, along with more than half a million other ash trees in Toronto.

The pest tunnels around in the cambium, killing the tree, however the wood is in perfect condition.

Having a small bandsaw, I decided to convert some of this wood into lumber, so I had the arborist cut 4 lengths of log 36" long for me from two of the trees. The logs were aproximately 16 to 20 inches in diameter at the large end.

Following is a photo essay of the sawing process.

The bandsaw table extension and log carriage are shown in the following photographs.

Bandsaw Table Extension.jpgLog Sled.jpg

The following link shows a bandsaw the same size as mine making lumber, and the log carriage I made is similar to the one shown in the video

http://www.hammer-canada.ca/ca-us/vi...00.html?part=2
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 02-18-2012, 02:28 PM.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Re: Converting a log to lumber

Loading the log.jpgHalf Log.jpg

The photo on the right is of the half log, ready to be sawn in half to make a quarter, as I've decided to make quarter sawn ash. The log is 16 inches wide.

The other photo is of the log being loaded onto the log carriage using my Genie lift, much easier on my back.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 02-18-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Cant ready for sawing.jpgSawing the first slab.jpgCut surface.jpg

The first photo shows the cant ready for sawing, the second shows the first piece being slabbed off, the third photo shows the resulting cut surface.

The blade is a 3 TPI steel blade running at aproximately 1,600 FPM. It takes about 30 seconds to saw the log at the greatest depth.
      Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 02-18-2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I thought all the infected ash had to be taken away and destroyed by the arbourist to attempt to limit spread of this pest

Comment

Wood from one half log.jpg

This is the resulting lumber from the half log, quarter sawn, with end sealer applied. It's sawn to 5/4 thickness.

I'll post a photo of the resulting pile outside stickered and ready for drying......Rod.

Stickered and waiting.jpg

P.S. Here's a photo of the wood stickered and waiting to dry, I'm using a sheet of plywood as a cover. This is the wood from 2 logs 36" long.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 02-20-2012, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
            I thought all the infected ash had to be taken away and destroyed by the arbourist to attempt to limit spread of this pest
            Nope, checked with the City of Toronto forrester and you can keep it for whatever you want, firewood, lumber etc.

You cannot move unproceesed wood such as logs or firewood out of the area however.

Regards, Rod.

Comment

This is an interesting and useful thread. Thx Rod.

Comment

Great job Rod!

Does anyone know how I can get ahold of some of these ash logs?
                Cheers,
                Frank

Comment

Frank, contact the city, they're cutting them down on a daily basis...............Rod.

Comment

Sorry to be difficult Rod, but just what do you mean when you say "the city". Is there some department or some person?
                    Cheers,
                    Frank

Comment

Hi Frank, turns out they won't give you one.

Next tree in my neighbourhood that gets cut down, I'll save you a length......Rod.

Comment

Thanks Rod, I will take whatever they are prepared to give me. I will also keep alookout in my neighbourhood.
                        Cheers,
                        Frank

Comment

But wouldn't it have to be kiln dried before it is moved from a region? I would hope there are some strict guidelines on handling wood that is being cut because of the ash borer or any other invasive pest. I would also assume there would be some massive penalties.

Am I wrong about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Pat from Elora View Post
                            But wouldn't it have to be kiln dried before it is moved from a region? I would hope there are some strict guidelines on handling wood that is being cut because of the ash borer or any other invasive pest. I would also assume there would be some massive penalties.

Am I wrong about this?
                            Nope your not wrong I haul bark and wood chips and I can tell you any ash has to be ground down to small size before it is deemed ok and bug free. rod really look in to this cuzz its a $10,000 fine if you get cought moving ash out of the quarantine area witch is all of T.O Halton Peel. I know I have a premit when I'm hauling it and its always stays with in the quarantine area so im supprized that they gave you the logs. Ash is some nice lumber it will suck when they are all gone
                            Frank
                            Last edited by tractorboy30; 02-18-2012, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Don't do it..It's not worth it. More than ash is at stake here

Cabinet making is how I've made a living for the past 25+ years and it is my hobby. I'm pretty sure there are a few people on this forum who enjoy working with wood.
                              These pests are devastating to the wood industry in general and I understand some pests came here in packing crates. Imagine the damage when people ignore the rules made to prevent them from spreading
                              Last edited by Pat from Elora; 02-18-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X