Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDF for Speaker Cabinet!

Hello Everyone,

I live in Toronto and absolutely new in this forum!!! ...

I searching through the net to find a supplier for MDF sheets. I want to build new cabinets for my JBL L100T speakers. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a supplier! I also need some advice about what kind of MDF I need to get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ramin

Re: MDF for Speaker Cabinet!

Windsor Plywoods if you have one there. Home Depot, Rona, etc usually carries it.

Shouldn't be too hard to find at most home hardware type of outlets.

Good luck.

Comment

also you should use a minimum of 3/4" thick material, 1" is better if you can find it. good luck.

Comment

Some good reading. http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...od_or_MDF.html
        “Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
        Winston Churchill

Comment

I'd consider baltic birch ply as opposed to MDF for speaker cabs. Building box's out of MDF will have little or no structural strength. Correct me if I am wrong.
          If you are building to last, think ply. I've refit a few bass cabinets in my time and built a few as well. All were out of BB ply.

My two cents.
          "my hero's are all cartoon characters. What does that say for society, or for me for that matter"

Comment

I just realized he wasn't talking about a car system...

As far as strength goes I've never had a problem using MDF for speaker enclosures. Built many sub boxes and such back in high school and college and so long as they were properly built (glued, screwed and appropriate joinery) they held up well. Always make sure you finish it off properly by either vinyl or fabric wrap or you can get a little more creative with fibreglass and paint.

Comment

the only thing against plywood is that MDF has a better acoustics, most boxes are mdf, so i think he's got the right idea. Besides if its glued and screwed correctly, and possibly he uses dados and rabbits, i cant see it ever coming apart, unless someone tries to take it apart

Comment

+1 for Baltic Birch, but get ready to dig a little deeper into your wallet... If you do go the MDF route be sure to allow the sheets to off gas for a good chunk of time. You'd be amazed how much MFD will shrink dimensionally after it's stablized.

Any properly made speaker enclosure should be designed with structural strength in mind. That doesn't mean you can't use MDF, but just keep in mind that any panel with large enough dimensions that will allow itself to be easily resonanted should have bracing to compensate. Using that model, structural strength won't be an issue.

I of course have no idea, what kind of performance you're looking to get out of your project, but a good place to get some basics, (and some extreme advice) is diyaudio.com

Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by jason_31 View Post
                  the only thing against plywood is that MDF has a better acoustics, most boxes are mdf, so i think he's got the right idea.
                  That's actually the complete opposite of what the speaker diy extremists preach... Zero void BB is the defacto standard in the highend world.

Most diy boxes are mdf because it's cheaper.... by a long shot. If you wanted to survey the whole industry I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of enclosures out there aren't any better than low grade particle board.

Comment

Wow...this thread takes me back! I remember cranking out custom sub enclosures 20 years ago for autosonics.....High SBL sub boxes mostly.

Anyway, the reason we use(d) MDF over ply was that the MDF had a low resonance, it was a very "dead" enclosure.

Depending on the size of the drivers, go with 3/4" at a minimum, if you want the ultimate sound though, sandwich a layer of dynamat between two layers of 1/2" (use the factory adhesive on one side, 3M Super77 on the other to glue the sandwich together) and reinforce with 1" screws. Fill all of your screw holes and dress all your edges and seams with bondo, then gelcoat or wrap with hot vinyl
                    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

U will get a better sound quality with MDF then anything else because its so dense ,the sound comes out through the speaker not the wood !
                      Dont forget to predrill before u screw it together ,u could use a good exterior glue rather then interior !

Thats my 2 cents worth !

Comment

Ok... The only common element between this site and the diy audio forums I used to live on is the use of wood in projects. Frankly, if I wanted to get into this debate yet again, I'd go back there...lol.

To any who would like to know the pros/cons of both building materials for use in speaker enclosures. I suggest you do some reading on diy audio forums. There's more to it than the specific weight of the wood.

However, do yourself a favour and just use mdf... No point jumping head first into that world, unless you enjoy analysis paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
                          if you want the ultimate sound though, sandwich a layer of dynamat between two layers of 1/2"
                          Some would argue that the ultimate enclosure would have no dampening what so ever and be so stiff with internal bracing that you couldn't resonant it within the passband.

I personally subscribe to that methodology, but it makes construction considerbly more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Vibert View Post
                            Some would argue that the ultimate enclosure would have no dampening what so ever and be so stiff with internal bracing that you couldn't resonant it within the passband.

I personally subscribe to that methodology, but it makes construction considerbly more difficult.
                            The only problem with that approach is that all of the bracing, in itself, can cause distortion.

The only trully effective way to brace the crap out of a sub enclosure is to use the enclosure as the bracing.....5th, 6th, 7th order bandpass boxes would fill this, but you'd need a HUGE space to be able to fit the enclosure
                            I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
                              The only problem with that approach is that all of the bracing, in itself, can cause distortion.
                              WUT....? distortion of what...? standing waves maybe...? That's something you want to disrupt.

edit:

Here's a couple of examples of an effective means of internal bracing...
                              05_bracing.jpg
                              horzbracingopt.jpg

The second example is actually better as it's pattern is slightly less uniform.

Anyways, rather than derail any further, (or is this "drift") lets start something in the off topic forum.
                              Last edited by J. Vibert; 02-29-2012, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X