Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stickley #599 Trestle Table Build.

Re: Final Cleaning up the Legs...

Makes perfect sense to me. Buy the best whenever you can and use whatever excuse it takes.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tim in Milton View Post
      I use festool blades a lot of the time in my Bosch jigsaw. It also has anti deflection blocks but the key is the quality of the festool blades. I think they are exceptional and if you already have a decent jigsaw you are probably not going see much difference between that with festool blades and a festool jigsaw and blade setup.
      Tim, Gary said he started the cuts using a Festool blade but finished with a Bosch blade. I've always had decent luck with Bosch blades.
      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        Tim, Gary said he started the cuts using a Festool blade but finished with a Bosch blade. I've always had decent luck with Bosch blades.
        Oops. Didn't read it properly. I think Bosch blades are pretty good too but I still find that festool ones deflect less especially on thick stuff and are generally the ones I use. I also think my Bosch jigsaw is a great bit of kit - cant remember the model name but it's got 135 in it.
        Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'

Comment

I've only used the Festool very slightly cause the Bosch is always in the truck and on the job but I do like the Festool jig saw. Maybe I better use it more huh?
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Cap Time

Last couple of shop sessions I got a good start on the caps for the top of the legs.

My caps for the legs are 2 1/4" thick so we laminate a couple of chunks to net the thickness.
            Next we made the template for the form out of BB.

caps 1.jpg

No jig saws on these...
            Quick trip to the band saw to rough cut the waste out.

caps 2.jpg

Now we use the router table to get the final shape.
            No hand held router...
            Because the thickness is 2 1/4" I can't do the trimming in one pass. (no 2 1/2" trim bit with a bearing on the top)
            Not really a issue as we will use two bits to get the same result...
            I first put on a 1" tall bit with the bearing at the shank.
            A quick couple of passes and we are close to half way there.
            My template is on the bottom attached with double sided tape. Don't use to much or the template is a bear to get off.

caps 3.jpg

Now we take the template off and change bits.
            I swap the first one for a bit that has a bearing at the top and set it so the bearing will follow what was just trimmed to size.
            Quick like a bunny we get the form we were after....

caps 4.jpg

Now we are half way finished these caps and the legs are taking there final shape.

caps 6.jpg

Next will be to put three mortises in the cap and make three tenons on the legs.
            The caps will in essence fit like a breadboard end to allow for seasonal expansion.

Comment

Oops....

Have you ever had a perfect shop session go off the rails....
              Today we were going to do the mortices in the leg caps.
              As I am going into this white oak 1 7/8" I want my mortising chisel to be as sharp as possible.
              I use the honing cones that LV sell and they work like a charm.
              Not a lot of pressure to clean up the inside. then a quick few swipes on a glass stone to clean up outside edges and we are ready to go.

mortices 1.jpg

Each cap will have three mortices. One that is 6" wide and two that are 4 1/2" by 3/4".
              First one went like a dream. Freshly honed chisel cut beautifully.
              One fine mortise.

mortices 2.jpg

Or so I thought.....
              I used the top of my cap to get my center which is 19".
              Bad thing was I didn't transfer the center line to the bottom of the cap.
              So what I ended up with was a perfect mortise on the top of the cap rather than the bottom.

mortices 3.jpg

I can do one of two things now.
              Make a plug and fill this. It won't be seen as it will be under the table top.
              Or.
              Make another cap....

Next shop time I get will be making another cap.
              Having that plug under the table top will drive me up a wall every time every time I walk by the finished table.

Sometimes things just don't go as planned....

Last edited by Gary Zimmel; 03-25-2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Re: Oops....

And I thought I was the only one who did stuff like that Table's looking good Gary.
                Paul W.

Comment

Gary can't you use a loose tenon on one or even all of them?
                  "Do it Right!"

Comment

Being that it was the first mortice that was done, a loose tenon could be used. All one would have to do is chop the three mortices from the bottom, where they should be, and have a floating tenon that would in essence go the width of the cap. Great idea Rusty....
                    Down side of that is the piece would not have the traditional joinery used by Gustav S.
                    So in saying that I'm sure a new cap will be in the works..

Comment

I'm glad I not the only one who does thins like this, thanks for being honest it helps that rest know these things happen to all.
                      sigpic
                      Jerome
                      Canada's South Coast
                      Port Colborne On.
                      Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Zimmel View Post
                        Being that it was the first mortice that was done, a loose tenon could be used. All one would have to do is chop the three mortices from the bottom, where they should be, and have a floating tenon that would in essence go the width of the cap. Great idea Rusty....
                        Down side of that is the piece would not have the traditional joinery used by Gustav S.
                        Ha Ha, I was pretty sure that was going to be your answer.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

well good for you for redoing it Gary. Do you have enough wood to make another one? Nothing worse than having to go buy more after you just messed something up.

Originally posted by Gary Zimmel View Post

Comment

I have one more piece of 6/4 white oak that has about 3/4" of sap wood in it.
                            We are hoping that one can net out the 3 3/8" needed to make a new cap.

Comment

Gary how does the top fasten?
                              "Do it Right!"

Comment

As in the caps to the legs, or the actual table top?
                                If you are asking about the table top, I will have dowels in the caps and the top itself will have elongated holes to allow for expansion.
                                Given that the top will weigh a ton, I don't think it will go any where...

Comment

Working...
                                X