Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mission/Arts and Crafts Buffet and Hutch Build - FINISHED!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission/Arts and Crafts Buffet and Hutch Build - FINISHED!

With my trestle table finishing schedule still up in the air I going to do a small buffet and hutch for our kitchen.
    This one is going to take a while as the summer acerage chores are really going to get in the way of shop time.
    I have sort of an idea what this is going to look like but it will be a build as I go.....
    Two doors and drawers in the lower case and two doors with glass panels in the upper. To save on costs we will use oak ply for the insides.

First in order is to get a few legs made up.
    The Stickley brothers made their legs a couple of different ways to get the look of 1/4 sawn on all four sides.
    For this one we will do what Gus did a lot of the times and use thin veneers to get the look we are after.

Our 8 legs (corners) will be 1 3/4' X 1 3/4" finished. Buffet will have 33" and the hutch around 40"
    Final thickness on these is 1 3/4" and all the legs are 1/8" too wide right now. They will be trimmed to 1 5/8" just before I glue on the veneers.

legs 1.jpg

To cut the 16 veneers I use my miter gauge to replicate the thickness I want. (really just for a stop)
    I set the miter gauge fence 1/16" from my blade and then when the stock is set correctly take the miter gauge off the table, use a feather board to help the stock from wandering. Fire a piece through and reset the table saw fence using the same sequence.

legs 2.jpg

With a sharp blade the 1/16" veneers are ready for mating to the legs and take little time to make.
    I make a few extra of each length, just in case...

legs 3.jpg

Lets hope this thing doesn't take all summer to make...

Re: Mission/Arts and Crafts Buffet and Hutch Build - FINISHED!

Re: Mission/Arts and Crafts Buffet and Hutch Build

Gary,

I always enjoy your detailed, clear, in progress photos. The orderliness and organization of your projects is always impressive. I'm also a huge fan of G. Stickley and most Arts and Crafts furniture.
    Keep the photos coming!

p.s. How's the tiny horse?
    stan
    http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

Thanks Stan.
      The little horse is doing great. He still is tiny and as he is hanging around with our golden retriever a lot I think he is starting to think he is a dog....

Comment

ah, good, another GZ build. Looking forward to it!

Comment

Hey Gary to go back to the table just for a second, Was the floor level enough for the table or did you have to install any leveling devices.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Wow, another fantastic build thread, Gary!

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing how everything goes.

Comment

Leg Veneers

Thanks guys...
              Rusty, I don't know if that big table rocks as it is still laying upside down on my assembly table..

So slowly we are getting the 1/16" veneers on the legs.

Have I told you I like to use a lot of clamps when putting these on...
              Most times I will do one at a time because I find they slide around a bit and it sure is easier to make sure they are in place.
              The veneers are 1/4" wider than the leg to compensate for the slipping.
              I use more glue and clamp pressure doing these. I really want these to have zero gaps here.

leg veneers 1.jpg

After the veneer has sat over night I will either use hand planes or my router table to clean up the waste.
              If I use the router table as I did this time one really has to take small bites.
              Remember the thin veneers are quarter sawn and only 1/16" thick.
              This is a bad time to have some tear out....

leg veneers 2.jpg

I will lastly clean up the edges with a block plane if or where needed.

leg veneers 3.jpg

So how did we do?
              Remember I cut a few extra ones at the start.
              By doing this I can match the color up a little better and make the lines pretty close to invisible.

leg veneers 4.jpg

leg veneers 5.jpg

A few more nights and will have all eight legs/corners done.
              But shop time for the next few days is going to be real sparse.
              Now we have to start to figure out how the sides will be look and be put together.

Hope everyone is getting a little shop time.

And as
              Last edited by Gary Zimmel; 05-19-2012, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Oops....

The last week were in Nova Scotia at our sons convocation. While there we were able to go down to Lunenburg to get a peek at the Bluenose Two being rebuilt. Quite the sight seeing a 135 foot schooner out of the water.
                They have a long way to go but building one of these little boats the traditional way takes time...

Bluenose.jpg

One other hi point of our trip was to sneak over to New Brunswick and visit my buddy Cosman.
                First time I had been in his shop and got a nice tour. Real interesting how he makes his saws and does his videos for his website.

So yesterday after getting back, I finished glueing the veneers on the legs for the buffet.
                All good. Or so I thought....
                Remember I had said I left the legs a tad wide and was going to cut them to size later.
                Well I forgot to.
                So I ended up with nice rectangles instead of squares.

leg redo 1.jpg

They are 1 3/4"X 2". Not really to the game plan.
                I thought for a couple of seconds if I should use them as they are. Not really anything to think about. A quick trip to the table saw and we are back to square one with these four.
                Upside of this whole thing is I made a few extra veneers. So my next session will be glueing up these legs again....

Leg redo 2.jpg

Maybe this week we will have a little progress forward.

Comment

Re: Oops....

Nice to watch this thread going, as always...

Comment

Re: Oops....

Gary, I had to laugh, I'm making an A&C hall table with a granite top using the same leg construction method.

Guess what I did a couple of weeks ago? made ONE rectangular leg by putting it in the planer in the wrong oriention.........OOPS! Oh well, shop made veneer is inexpensive..........Regards, Rod.
                    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Start of a Couple of Sides

With some good shop time last evening I got a lot of work done on the sides.
                      And finished glueing on the veneers for the second time.....

The sides are going to be 16" x 33".
                      First cut all my rails and stiles.
                      Rails 3" and stiles 3 1/2" as they will be 1/2" into the legs.
                      The bottom rail will be cut to length after the top rail has it's tenon on it.

sides 1.jpg

With a scrap piece we set the dado blade 1/2" deep and 1/4' wide.
                      The pieces go through twice to make sure everything is centered.

sides 2.jpg

Another piece of scrap will give me the right height to make the tenons.

sides 3.jpg

With the top together I now can get the length of the bottom rails.
                      They are full width as they will have an arc in them.
                      Doing it this way I find I get the piece the exact length needed.

sides 4.jpg

So this will give us an idea of how these sides for the buffet will look.
                      Bottom rails will have an arc in them, but they will be done just before I glue everything up.

sides 5.jpg

Next on the agenda will be to make a couple of flat panels.
                      And to figure out how wide this should be....

Comment

Sides

With a couple of short shop sessions we have the sides pretty close to going together.
                        We first had to put a long groove in each of the legs to accept the stiles.
                        A little tape lets me know where the dado blade will start and finish.
                        And one mark on the leg to let me know where it has to start or stop.

sides 1.jpg

sides 2.jpg

A quick trip to the morticer gets the groove all the way to the end.

sides 3.jpg

I have pre stained the two panels and have cut my arc in the bottom rail.
                        These parts have gone through the table saw a bunch of times to get a simple side...

sides 5.jpg

Before these are glued I will knock the corners off the bottom of the legs and put a few more mortices in the legs for the main carcass.
                        I will also add a couple of mortices for some faux through tenons.

Comment

A Little Cheating...

The sides are all glued up. So with that it's time for the innards.
                          To speed things up a little and save some cost I am going to make a plywood carcass.
                          QSWO ply is real pricey so we will go with flat sawn red oak.
                          I'll make sure the boss fills it up real quick when it's done so no one will notice.
                          One quick session and we have the start of the innards of the buffet...
                          A few dados and it's all together. My back will be attached later to make sure the carcass stays square. Trim will be put on the back side to hide the plywood joints.

carcass.jpg

In hindsight I wish the drawers were 1/2" taller. Right now they are just over 4" and I think it would be better balanced at 4 1/2".
                          But she's a bit late for that...
                          A little QSWO trim and a couple of stretchers with arcs will finish off this part.

Comment

Re: A Little Cheating...

Looking good Gary. thanx for the post.

stan
                            http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

Re: A Little Cheating...

As has been said - looks good and thanks for posting all the details. I like seeing your work.
                              Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Comment

Working...
                              X