Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30+ kids from daycare visiting my shop this Friday....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30+ kids from daycare visiting my shop this Friday....

So, two months ago I was asked to give a demo so to speak, of my woodworking shop. It's for my son's daycare - he isn't part of the group as he is to young yet, but there will be 30 odd kids between the ages of 4 and 8 years old coming in the morning for 1 1/2 hours.

They have field trips to various places and the daycare (which is really well run, and more like a school than just a daycare) wants to show them what a woodworking shop is all about!

I have spent many hours in my head the past few weeks wondering what to do to give these youngsters some sort of relevant info, as well as keep their interest and not have anything too loud or messy.

I decided to cut out a bunch of parts on my Shopbot Buddy CNC router (a 48" by 48" machine), to make a small box, that they can assemble and finish. The front has their individual names V carved on it, and the bottom, sides and front/back are keyed together for easy assembly. I will get them to lightly sand the edges, and then glue them together. They will paint them at the daycare, and they can use them to store their pencils/pens/crayons, etc.

I am also going to (with the help of the apprentice working with me) get them to try planing a little basswood, with a few of my small hand planes - also drilling holes into a block of wood with a small hand drill and maybe driving a few screws. Maybe even try cutting some wood with one or two of my small tenon saws.

I of course will explain what I do when I make furniture and cabinets, but I wanted some hands on things for the kids to do.

I hope they have fun! I know I will

AJC
    Last edited by Ajcoholic; 08-15-2012, 08:25 PM.
    Andrew J. Coholic
    Joe Coholic Custom Furniture Ltd.

www.joecoholiccustomfurniture.com

Re: 30+ kids from daycare visiting my shop this Friday....

Wow, that is really well thought out. Those kids are going to remember that field trip forever.

Comment

Very interesting thought and a very good trip to remember.
      Just be extra extra careful about putting every dangerous thing you think they might touch away from their reach.
      I've had a few kids (family/friends) come to my shop with their parents for a tour and I've been very nervous if they hurt themselves with something.
      Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

Great project idea. MikeB is right, those kids will definitely remember that!

Mike
        Mike
        Windsor ON

Comment

Originally posted by mreza View Post
          Very interesting thought and a very good trip to remember.
          Just be extra extra careful about putting every dangerous thing you think they might touch away from their reach.
          I've had a few kids (family/friends) come to my shop with their parents for a tour and I've been very nervous if they hurt themselves with something.
          There will of course be several of the daycare staff along with the kids. It is their responsibility to keep them behaving I have pretty much everything in my shop put away in cabinets, or up higher on shelves, etc. I will give the whole shop a good cleaning tomorrow. It will be safe

AJC
          Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

Originally posted by 5vhQCj View Post
            Great project idea. MikeB is right, those kids will definitely remember that!

Mike
            Thats what I hope. I used to teach a summer school for two weeks, teaching kids from 7 to early teens model airplane building, so I have quite a bit of experience working with young children. I am pretty good at talking too, and I can relate to their age since my wife says I am still about the 6 yr old level in terms of mentality

I think it is good to try and not complicate things too much but at the same time explain what I really do, in the shop. I am assuming they dont really know much if anything re woodwork, so it will be a crash course!

AJC
            Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

My hat is of to ya, nice to give back once and a while.

Brian
              If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

How long did it take to program that into the cnc? I'd also recommend throwing some breakers/disconnects to machines, something about kids and buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn in Caledon View Post
                  How long did it take to program that into the cnc? I'd also recommend throwing some breakers/disconnects to machines, something about kids and buttons.
                  I spent about 1 1/2 hours last night doing the drawings and cut files ( I do my Cnc programming with Vectric Aspire). Today while I was working it took about 2 hours to cut the 160 odd pieces out if 1/4" Baltic birch ply.
                  Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

Good for you.

Is it just me or do kids not have normal names these days?
                    Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'

Comment

Originally posted by Tim in Milton View Post
                      Good for you.

Is it just me or do kids not have normal names these days?
                      Well, some of them are a little " original"... ;)
                      Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

Can I come too!? What a great idea! I second cutting the power to the appendage removing machines.

Comment

Great idea. It would be good if you could have the CNC running to do an example one - kids that age are not into abstract thinking and will not understand unless they see it happening. I'd also reccommend cutting the power to non used machines. Some of them will be button pushers and if there are buttons around they WILL be pushed!

Comment

Good for you Andrew. Thats fantastic that your doing this. I've spoken to numerous young school classes about my real job. It's always a blast and I'm always amazed at how smart some of the questions are. Kids pick up on things so fast.
                            Have fun and let us know how it goes!

GALLERY OF PROJECTS: http://lumberjocks.com/galleries/Boomr99#

Comment

What a great idea. I'm sure the kids will remember this experience - especially with the hands on part.

So much better than trundling a classload of kids off to hava a snooze at the Imax

Be sure to have a few watchers around to keep little fingers out of just about everything.

Congratulations - you've put a lot of thought in this.
                              Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Comment

Working...
                              X