Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gloves and a belt sander = lesson learned... until the next one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloves and a belt sander = lesson learned... until the next one...

I was helping a friend trim a sound proof door for his theatre, I used my power planner (found out the blades are dull!) then I used my belt sander to ease the edges.

It was cool out and I was wearing pair of those knit gloves with the rubber palms and although they fit pretty tight while I was changing my grip on the sander the glove caught and it tried to pull my left index finger in between the frame the rear drum! Not too bad- but enough to feel it. It didn't get deep enough to really bleed, but today it is a bit swollen and weepy.

Don't trust everything you see on Holmes on Homes;
    http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...lems-with-them
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Gloves and a belt sander = lesson learned... until the next one...

You're lucky. I lost the nail and sanded the flesh to the bone when my finger got caught the same way. I looked in the bag to try and find the nail but all I could find was red stained blob of sawdust. man did that hurt! The first time I changed the dressing it took 2 hours of soaking and a bottle of vodka

Comment

Good post - glad you werent hurt further. While no one takes the time to actually "read" the manual that comes with our shiny power tools (we're guys right!) I'm sure every one of them advises not to:

1) Wear gloves
      2) Wear loose fitting clothing
      3) Wear jewellery of any kind

I know more than one person who has lost a digit by wearing either gloves or their wedding band. One guy I know tore his finger clean off! Long sleeve or loose fitting clothes could tangle you in a piece of equipment faster than you can hit the power button. I've seen pictures of industrial accidents where this has happened, its not pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba Gump View Post
        Good post - glad you werent hurt further. While no one takes the time to actually "read" the manual that comes with our shiny power tools (we're guys right!) I'm sure every one of them advises not to:

1) Wear gloves

I know more than one person who has lost a digit by wearing either gloves or their wedding band. One guy I know tore his finger clean off! Long sleeve or loose fitting clothes could tangle you in a piece of equipment faster than you can hit the power button. I've seen pictures of industrial accidents where this has happened, its not pretty.
        Did you see the one with the guy who's entire body was wrapped around a lathe? That one nearly made me throw up.
        Name is Kamil

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba Gump View Post

1) Wear gloves

Dont forget "Hair"
          • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Glad to know that the error wasn't worse and that you are okay!! I remove my rings and watch before I pull out any power tool to make it a habitual thing; the only way I won't forget! No gloves and/or long/unrolled sleeves either.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by dave_k View Post
              You're lucky. I lost the nail and sanded the flesh to the bone when my finger got caught the same way. I looked in the bag to try and find the nail but all I could find was red stained blob of sawdust. man did that hurt! The first time I changed the dressing it took 2 hours of soaking and a bottle of vodka
              Ouch! My cousin worked in a metal shop and she tried sanding a small piece on a waterfall sander and ended up sanding off the end of her thumb. They had to amputate a small amount more and now she has a short nail on one thumb.

I have a circulation issue called Raynauds syndrome were the capillaries in my extremities spasm and don't circulate blood when exposed to cold/ cool temperatures, so a lot of the time gloves are a necessary evil. I am well aware that I am running these types of risks- but would also be running a risk working with cold hands that have no feeling/ sense of pressure or grip strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcdn View Post

I have a circulation issue called Raynauds syndrome were the capillaries in my extremities spasm and don't circulate blood when exposed to cold/ cool temperatures, so a lot of the time gloves are a necessary evil. I am well aware that I am running these types of risks- but would also be running a risk working with cold hands that have no feeling/ sense of pressure or grip strength.
                You're in good company. I remember seeing an interview with President Carter in his workshop, when he put on a floppy set of leather gloves for tablesaw, jointer, planer. The video seems to have disappeared from the net.
                I particulary dislike those dual-function sanders where both elements run simultaneously. While you're concentrating on one the other one's liable to get you.
                Jim

Comment

That makes two of us, lol... I also have Raynauds syndrome and it is a pain in the a$$.

Jacques

Originally posted by Bobcdn View Post
                  Ouch! My cousin worked in a metal shop and she tried sanding a small piece on a waterfall sander and ended up sanding off the end of her thumb. They had to amputate a small amount more and now she has a short nail on one thumb.

Comment

Surprised to hear there are a couple more here with Raynauds.

The finger is almost completely healed now. I have been using the gloves with the hole ripped in it from the belt sander to remind me.

Comment

I also have Raynauds but since I quit smoking it has been much better. It used to be all my fingers would go white and have no feeling. Now it hardly happens at all.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X