drawer box sizes for Tandem blum slides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drawer box sizes for Tandem blum slides

I have yet to sit down and figure out all the details of the cabinets I want to build. One item that seems needs some time for calculating for me is the size of drawer boxes if I want to use Tandum blum slides (with blumotion, full extension). I am thinking of these slides specifically:

http://www.richelieu.com/en/560h-con...1058610?fr=pgr

Q1: Is this the right stuff or I should go one step higher?

Q2: I see Richeliue has some of the drawer sides (pre-finished) at a great rate and am thinking of buying all I need.
    What should be the depth of drawer box for a typical 24" cabinet to use these slides? I see the box should be 10mm smaller (in depth) than the slide and the slide needs 3mm from the back of cabinet; so it seems the box should be at least 13mm smaller than the inside measurement of cabinet.
    I am thinking I should buy a 22" slide and the drawer box shod be around 21 5/8" deep. I see richeliue has drawer sides at 22" deep at great price, so I can buy and cut them to size. Are my numbers correct?
    Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: drawer box sizes for Tandem blum slides

Originally posted by mreza View Post
    I have yet to sit down and figure out all the details of the cabinets I want to build. One item that seems needs some time for calculating for me is the size of drawer boxes if I want to use Tandum blum slides (with blumotion, full extension). I am thinking of these slides specifically:

http://www.richelieu.com/en/560h-con...1058610?fr=pgr

Q1: Is this the right stuff or I should go one step higher?

Q2: I see Richeliue has some of the drawer sides (pre-finished) at a great rate and am thinking of buying all I need.
    What should be the depth of drawer box for a typical 24" cabinet to use these slides? I see the box should be 10mm smaller (in depth) than the slide and the slide needs 3mm from the back of cabinet; so it seems the box should be at least 13mm smaller than the inside measurement of cabinet.
    I am thinking I should buy a 22" slide and the drawer box shod be around 21 5/8" deep. I see richeliue has drawer sides at 22" deep at great price, so I can buy and cut them to size. Are my numbers correct?
    For the most part you're right but I use 566H5500B for the larger pot drawers or wider than 24". I use the 10 1/4" x 22" for the lower drawers and the 4 1/8 for the top drawers. The drawer sides are a great value -- I use 1/4" HR Maple melamine covered MDF for the bottoms and it works great with the sides as it is 6mm -- here is what they look like--

Last edited by Wally in Calgary; 10-16-2013, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks Wally. I was thinking of those two sizes (4 1/8" and 10 1/4" or maybe 8 1/4").

So you use 21.25" for depth? Isn't 21 5/8" going to work? I figure the inside measurement of the cabinet around 23.25" (assuming a full 3/4" back)
      so there should be enough space between the back of the drawer box and back panel of the cabinet.

Comment

Thanks Wally. I was thinking of those two sizes (4 1/8" and 10 1/4" or maybe 8 1/4").

So you use 21.25" for depth? Isn't 21 5/8" going to work? I figure the inside measurement of the cabinet around 23.25" (assuming a full 3/4" back)
        so there should be enough space between the back of the drawer box and back panel of the cabinet.
        That is the proper length for those slides. The box length is 550 - 10 = 540 = 21 17/64" The box also needs 2 - 6 mm holes in the back of it. You can make a quick jig or buy this one at Richelieu - http://www.richelieu.com/en/tandem-t...-651000?fr=rec
        Last edited by Wally in Calgary; 10-16-2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Although I build everything in imperial typically, drawer boxes are the only thing that I venture into metric for. It's just easier I find for that application.
          Paul

Comment

I use metric for ordering my doors but for drawers I use the Imperial measurements on the Blum site. I use hard maple for my drawers and machine it to 5/8. With 5/8 sides Blum suggests and I make my boxes with overall width of 3/8 in narrower than the opening. For the 22 in slides my boxes are 21 15/16 inches deep. I think 22 will work also. I use 3/8 Baltic birch for drawer bottoms. Of course you need to notch the back of the box as required for the pins and slides. I have 23 1/4 inside distance to the back of the box
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
              I use metric for ordering my doors but for drawers I use the Imperial measurements on the Blum site. I use hard maple for my drawers and machine it to 5/8. With 5/8 sides Blum suggests and I make my boxes with overall width of 3/8 in narrower than the opening. For the 22 in slides my boxes are 21 15/16 inches deep. I think 22 will work also. I use 3/8 Baltic birch for drawer bottoms. Of course you need to notch the back of the box as required for the pins and slides. I have 23 1/4 inside distance to the back of the box
              Brian -- Using that length of box you must have to inset your slides further into the box -- is that right?? Here is the Blum drawing that shows the recommended length and inset. NL is 550. FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                Brian -- Using that length of box you must have to inset your slides further into the box -- is that right?? Here is the Blum drawing that shows the recommended length and inset. NL is 550. FWIW.
                That is correct Wally. I take it with the drawing shown you have your clips out flush with the face of the drawer box. As in notching the underside of the front of the drawer to accept the clips. I have done that a couple of times when retro fitting new drawers into a face frame cabinet.This allowed me to attach the side of the drawer slide to the face frame.I have never seen that Blum drawing before and it was a Blum article that I used also a few years ago and it coincides with the way Richelieu advertises their slides as in 22 ins.More than one way to skin a cat.

Brian

I have some drawers in the basement that I measured today and they are 22 in. I now use the 21 15/16 as I made some that were a hair over 22 ins and I could not get to the second click on the clip. The drawer was a hair over 22 in. which was the reason for not reaching the second click. With 21 15/16 there is room for a slight margin of error. I can see that with your drawing the holes line up with the 32 mm system which I don't use. I use parts of it but have never set up my line boring machine. Have a good one
                Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 10-17-2013, 12:02 PM.
                If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Is what you guys are referring to at Richelieu the same as these? I was going to pick up a case when I go down as the price seems decent. How does it compare to what you guys pay?

Comment

Wally, I see the drawer backs need a notch to have the runners installed (or make the back of the drawer go no lower than the bottom). Do I need the same for the front? your computer drawing shows it that way but the drawers you have shown in the photo seem to have the front the same height as the sides. Are they notched?

Comment

Wally, I see the drawer backs need a notch to have the runners installed (or make the back of the drawer go no lower than the bottom). Do I need the same for the front? your computer drawing shows it that way but the drawers you have shown in the photo seem to have the front the same height as the sides. Are they notched?
                      I don't notch anything Mo -- I build them flush with the bottom and the sides 1/2" longer to fit in the slide like the drawing in Post #2. I dado the sides for 5/8 bottom and use 2 biscuits close to the center along with brads and glue on the front and back that will never be seen once a drawer front is attached. If you want to capture the bottom with a dado all round then you would have to notch front and back. It's a matter of which you prefer. I use all 5/8" stock for kitchen drawers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba Gump View Post
                        Is what you guys are referring to at Richelieu the same as these? I was going to pick up a case when I go down as the price seems decent. How does it compare to what you guys pay?
                        The 50 KG are $30.63 for one, or $24 per if you buy 6. 30 KG ones are $17 per if you buy 6. At least that's the price I pay at Richelieu. Clips are like .88 apiece or less if you buy volume.

Dustin Gingerich
                        Dimension Carpentry Services

Comment

Thanks Wally. I guess you can do the notch using a dado after the boxes are made. I have the prefinished sides and will most likely do dovtails. It just looks better if sides and the front/back are the same height for the dovetails. I should definitely buy my slides and make a sample box before going at the full project...

Comment

I'm not a pro but I made the notches for my drawer slides after I cut the dovetails and before glueing everything up.

Comment

Gary, did you gang clamp them and do a bunch at once?

Comment

Working...
                              X