X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some help machining some Elm

Originally posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    If 3 or 4 planks is all you could mill up in an hour - you'd not be employed in my shop too long...

For a half dozen boards (from the OP's description its for a top of a desk?) that's maybe 10 minutes to joint and plane in a pro shop, with decent gear. One or two passes on the face and edge is normal, a few passes through the planer.

I used to help out a LOT of guys in my old shop in Kirkland Lake (where everyone new where we were). I'd probably do it for a coffee and a thank you. But Timmins is a little far to drive... ;)

I never said that's all I could mill in an hour.....I probably mill faster than most in fact...but then again, I mill a ton of it as I only use solids....(there's not a sheet if plywood in my shop ) Now that said, I'm gonna have to question your "ten minutes to do 1/2 dozen boards" statement. ....that's 1 min, 40 seconds per board to face joint, edge joint, plane, and rip to width. Is it possible? Sure. Standard? Not with typical equipment...3 min would be closer.
    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 03-02-2014, 03:57 PM.
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
      I never said that's all I could mill in an hour.....I probably mill faster than most in fact...but then again, I mill a ton of it as I only use solids....(there's not a sheet if plywood in my shop ) Now that said, I'm gonna have to question your "ten minutes to do 1/2 dozen boards" statement. ....that's 1 min, 40 seconds per board to face joint, edge joint, plane, and rip to width. Is it possible? Sure. Standard? Not with typical equipment...3 min would be closer.
      Ryan, take my statement as a general "what?" comment. I was not meaning "you" directly.

My point is, most cabinet/custom woodworking shops will have a serious industrial planer and jointer (that can easily remove 1/8" to 1/4" in a pass if required)- and as such, it takes literally minutes to make a few passes over the jointer, and put the pcs through the planer. As I stated, if someone came down to my shop and asked to plane 1/2 dozen boards, the job is a matter of minutes, no way an hour and certainly no where even near 10.

Not trying to insinuate anything, OK?
      Andrew J. Coholic
      Joe Coholic Custom Furniture Ltd.

www.joecoholiccustomfurniture.com

Comment

Sorry about the debate holy crap guys. Erase this thread now please.
        https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Relax Greg. Everybody is OK.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            Relax Greg. Everybody is OK.
            Yes, I thought we were just talking shop?

And, Greg, it is always good to know what different places would value this work at. It might save you being "taken" by some unscrupulous shop in the future. I had a few guys I know, who live down in SOuthern ON call me and ask if what they were quoted for work and/or materials was fair, when in reality it was insane. Just to let you know, my shop rate is $70/hr.

The more you know, the better you are off, if again you ever decide to go to a shop and get some milling done, or other work.
            Andrew J. Coholic
            Joe Coholic Custom Furniture Ltd.

www.joecoholiccustomfurniture.com

Comment

Ignoring all of the talk about getting the planing done we should look at the condition of the rough material and consider if it will remain flat enough for use after it is planed. Elm can be very contrary so will the expenditure be worthwhile? Just something to consider.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Being its sat in my garage slowly drying out of over 5 years with weight on top it should be ok. It was cut out of an almost dead tree. The logs were cut the same day it was cut down. So I don't know. We will see. I made a box out of some for my Mom's ashes. It turned out really nice. So I think its stable enough.

Comment

email sent too

Comment

I got it all machined up and it looks great. I know that everyone thinks this was an easy hour job. Forget that. the boards were bowed and uneven. I did not get these from a wood shop at all. They were cut with a big bad saw I don't know the name or brand. So the surface was not flat like a big lumber mill.

We took the best of what I had as far and flat and it came out great. He tested it and it was at 10% moisture. Better than I thought it would have been. Way better.

So when I say it took us from 1 pm till 4 pm Its no stretch. I took my wife along and a 6 packs as well and enjoyed the visit I had with him. Saw some of the other work he does and drooled on his machines. (Sorry for the rust) LOL.

I won't say who it was because I don't know that he would want me too. Just a huge thank you to you for the help. We had fun visiting and working.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post
                      I got it all machined up and it looks great. I know that everyone thinks this was an easy hour job. Forget that. the boards were bowed and uneven. I did not get these from a wood shop at all. They were cut with a big bad saw I don't know the name or brand. So the surface was not flat like a big lumber mill.

We took the best of what I had as far and flat and it came out great. He tested it and it was at 10% moisture. Better than I thought it would have been. Way better.

So when I say it took us from 1 pm till 4 pm Its no stretch. I took my wife along and a 6 packs as well and enjoyed the visit I had with him. Saw some of the other work he does and drooled on his machines. (Sorry for the rust) LOL.

I won't say who it was because I don't know that he would want me too. Just a huge thank you to you for the help. We had fun visiting and working.
                      Let's see some pics!
                      Daniel
                      Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                      X