Need some help machining some Elm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help machining some Elm

Hi guys its been a while since I was around here. I am in the Kitchener Waterloo area. I have some 8' 5/4 elm boards that vary in width from 8" to over a foot wide. I need to have a counter top that will be used for a desk made up. I do not have the ability to machine these boards at home. My little planer will not even touch this stuff. I will call you if you can include your number. Thanks a bunch. If this is the wrong area Mods please feel free to move it. Thank you guys. This is for my in laws as a gift. So I appreciate the help any one can give me.
    Last edited by Greg from K/W; 03-04-2014, 09:42 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Need some help machining some Elm

Should have said I am not looking for this to be done for free. I know time is money. So please if you can help me I would appreciate it.

Comment

Wish I could help you out bud. But I'm a bit far away. I'm sure you will get a response. If not, try a local custom built cabinet shop. They'll do it for a small fee. It's not like you are needing lots of board feet planed. If you find one, you can bring it back and get them to sand it with a wide belt sander. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Mike I did contact a couple places. Ouch. They wanted to charge me $60 an hour. At 10 hours man that starts to hurt. I did get a reply and appreciate the offer. I am talking to him now.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post
          Thanks Mike I did contact a couple places. Ouch. They wanted to charge me $60 an hour. At 10 hours man that starts to hurt. I did get a reply and appreciate the offer. I am talking to him now.
          Are you talking about 5000+ linear feet?
          Rob

Comment

How could this take more than an hour to mill up?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas View Post
              How could this take more than an hour to mill up?
              To do both sides you have to really hussle to do more than 500 lin feet/hour.
              Rob

Comment

Must be a bunch of wood for 10 hours work. Frankly I think $60.00 an hour is pretty darn close Greg. If you're going tie up a man and his machine for a day and half I think $600.00 is pretty reasonable.

I know you said you would pay. You couldn't expect anyone to do a 10 hour favour for zilch anyway and even if a guy could do the job in an hour aren't you going to give him a two-four anyway. That's pretty close to $60.00 these days.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

No its not that much. I have really no idea how many hours it could take. I would need maybe 4 to 6 pieces to be jointed then planed. Straighten one edge and trim the other. I have no idea how long for that. I was just guessing. I may have way over shot the hours. Actually from what you guys said I did over shoot by a long shot. Maybe it is just a couple hours.

Comment

10hrs of planing? How many feet do you have?

If you can get to Ajax you/we can do it here. I have a 15" planer. My shop rates are a fraction of that $60/hr quote. I only have a 6" jointer so the 8' long could be a challenge.
                    Last edited by schor; 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM.
                    Steve The Drill Sergeant
                    Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

shoot me an e-mail if you still need help. [email protected] I'm 5 minutes east of guelph at wellington 26 - hwy 124
                      Canadian Woodworks - Custom wooden rocking chairs

Comment

If you cannot find anyone closer, you are welcome to come my house in Scarborough..........Rod.
                        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Thanks guys just to clarify its 3 to 4 pieces that are about 8' 6" and between 6 to 10 inches wide. I was contacted via email from someone that can help me with it. Thanks for all the replys and pm's guys. I really appreciated it. I think its taken care of tho. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Glad you found someone

And for the record....3-4 pieces of rough lumber shouldn't even take an hour to do.... 4-5 min to joint one face/edge, 1 min to rip to width, 5-7 min to plane to final thickness. 12 min +/- each piece.
                            I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
                              Glad you found someone

And for the record....3-4 pieces of rough lumber shouldn't even take an hour to do.... 4-5 min to joint one face/edge, 1 min to rip to width, 5-7 min to plane to final thickness. 12 min +/- each piece.
                              If 3 or 4 planks is all you could mill up in an hour - you'd not be employed in my shop too long...

For a half dozen boards (from the OP's description its for a top of a desk?) that's maybe 10 minutes to joint and plane in a pro shop, with decent gear. One or two passes on the face and edge is normal, a few passes through the planer.

I used to help out a LOT of guys in my old shop in Kirkland Lake (where everyone new where we were). I'd probably do it for a coffee and a thank you. But Timmins is a little far to drive... ;)
                              Andrew J. Coholic
                              Joe Coholic Custom Furniture Ltd.

www.joecoholiccustomfurniture.com

Comment

Working...
                              X