Return of the Plantation Shutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of the Plantation Shutters

In an old thread a year or two ago I went into detail on the construction of Plantation shutters. For various reasons I was out of commission and now finally returned, making shutters for three windows, one of which is shown here. Two of the three are over Pella Windows requiring a standoff from the wall of 2" to accommodate the Pella casement window crank and lever lock.

Please excuse the 90 degree rotation...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pella frame.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	962381
    Pic 1: Pella Frame 2" standoff.

Name:	Pella crank.jpg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	962380
    Pic 2: Pella crank

Name:	Closed.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	962377
    Pic 3: Closed
    I made two bifold panels due to the limited floor space in front of the window to accommodate full swing opening if/when desired.

Somewhere along the road of my clumsy photography. I had a pic showing the two fold panel, folded against the wall to the right of the window. Folds flat, very nicely. I guess my dog ate my homework when he was uploading my pics for me.

Name:	More....jpg
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	962378
    Piuc 4: More

Name:	Open.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	962379
    Pic 5: Open

Name:	Split louvers.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	962382
    Pic 6: Split
    The panels at 53" tall are split top and bottom for greater privacy in this bedroom installation.

Name:	Hidden rod.jpg
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	962383
    Pic 7: Hidden rod
    I happen to favor the rear hidden control rod even though it can be a whole lot more work rabbiting the rod into the stile. On the other hand (see left rod) there are rods available that do not require rabbiting but instead use a notch in the top of each louver. I did a tremendous amount of research ino this (largely responsible for the interim delay) including making several small models of each, and found that some of the custom shutters on showroom floors use the latter because of the sheer amount of labor involved.

By the way, commercial custom shutters typically charge an additional $50 for each hidden rod v. the traditional front stapled rod, and I have learned why. A typical 3' x 5' window commercially costs ~$450.

NOT SHOWN - two sliding shutter panels over two Pella 3' wide sliding glass doors in progress, now on hold until late September (here we go again).

Finish is Sherwin Williams Aqua Plus water reducible primer surfacer and finished with S-W Pro Classic oil base enamel, satin sheen. I found out the hard way that water reducible pigmented is great on large flat surfaces but trying to cover louvers and frames didn't work for me due to flow run off. Gun was a new acquisition, Graco AirPro gravity flo conventional equipped with 3M PPS cup system.

P.S. Folds flat.

Name:	Folds flat.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	962384
    Ahhh here it is... see, they really do fold flat. (Damn Retrievers). You just have to lie on your side to enjoy them.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Woodwreck; 08-22-2014, 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling & grammerr
    Start slow and wind down gracefully
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Return of the Plantation Shutters

Excellent, still on my to do list.

Brian
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Great job Steve. I think you have thoroughly convinced me to never make these.

Don't blame the dog. Maybe it was the "Retriever" that found the picture.

Edit in:
      Just to clarify my comment about not doing these. It is by no means a derogatory comment. I think your craftsmanship is excellent with great results to show for all of your hard work. My comments were in regards to the amount of work involved which you have shared through other posts as well as personal emails. I do not think I would have the patience or energy to put into them to do them right and to achieve results like you have shown.
      Last edited by jaywood1207; 08-24-2014, 08:41 AM.
      Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
      X