X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark in Burlington
    replied
    Re: Old birch hardwood flooring

Keep in mind that not all companies use the same location got the T&G. Cutting from wider stock and you might end up at a bottom groove under the T&G. I would get some custom made and weigh that against the cost of replacing the floor.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied

Maple is easy to get everywhere I think. That's why I suggested it. I think you could buy unfinished Maple hardwood and even if it was a wider board you could machine it to whatever you need and a good paint store should be able to match a finish for you

Leave a comment:

• Uniongoon
    replied

Birch should be common in the Maritimes. If you can't find any, would Beech be closer than Maple in appearance?

Leave a comment:

• John in Calgary
    replied

A friend of mine ran into this same problem - he ended up ripping out a bunch at the front entry, then spent way too much money on a fancy tile for the entry. So, pick an area to tile, rip the hardwood out of that area and use it to replace where the walls were.

John

Leave a comment:

• Paul O in Paris
    replied

I would get some birch, machine to match, leave plenty of extra pieces and experiment on these with various strengths/combinations of dyes to get a matching colour, then topcoat with a waterbased floor finish. If you can get FiniTech where you are, they have several dyes specifically made for their finishes to match existing floors. If you buy from a decent supplier they may even match the colour for you.
    http://finitecexpert.com/en/Consumer...dFinishes.html

Good luck............Paul

Leave a comment:

• Kevin H
    replied

Find out who refinishes in your area. Give them a call. They may have what you need, or advise you on where to go.

Keep in mind when calling, depending on their customer service skills, you may get the vibe that you are wasting their time. In reality, you are. If they're smart, they'll realize that you could refer a lucrative job to them in the future and try to help you out.

If you can make it yourself, do so. In my neck of the woods, the set-up charge alone is $150 in a competitive environment.

Leave a comment:

• Kbird123
    replied

not in the Maritimes but here in Van. I usually goto the Salvage Yards for that kind of thing , not sure how common birch is though, which may leave having to take out of a closet or similar area , and putting say maple as Rusty suggests in the less seen area.

M.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied

Buy some Maple and machine it to the fit and finish you need.

Leave a comment:

• Oscar04
    started a topic Old birch hardwood flooring

Old birch hardwood flooring

We are doing renovations to our 1951 house which is 1 3/4" birch hardwood throughout. We tore down wall and now need approx 20 sq feet of this flooring but I can't seem to find it anywhere. We live in the Maritimes- any suggestions?
Working...
X