Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Import or Domestic prefinished plywood for kitchen boxes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim in Milton
    replied
    Re: Import or Domestic prefinished plywood for kitchen boxes.

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
    I fully agree with Steve when he says there's nothing wrong with going with 5/8" plywood. The fact of the matter is that most 3/4" plywood sold here in Canada isn't 3/4" thick nowadays... and of course neither is the 5/8" plywood that thick. The important thing is to measure your sheet stock before you start cutting away so you'll end up with the correctly sized box in the end.
    I think Steve was saying the opposite... Unless the last thing he made was in 1975... ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• MartyFromKingston
    replied

I fully agree with Steve when he says there's nothing wrong with going with 5/8" plywood. The fact of the matter is that most 3/4" plywood sold here in Canada isn't 3/4" thick nowadays... and of course neither is the 5/8" plywood that thick. The important thing is to measure your sheet stock before you start cutting away so you'll end up with the correctly sized box in the end.

Originally posted by Woodwreck View Post
    I differ from some others in staying away from ⅝" plywood because you will forever be compensating - and likely making errors - when ¾" works into common denominations of calculations. The last time I used ⅝" for the supposed 'savings' was 1975, having learned the hard way. DAMHIK
    Welcome to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• RomanV
    replied

I visit both facilities and PJ was looking more organized. During my visit to Lancashire forklift operator was using forklift to push sticking sheets of load against building column to make it even. I was hopping good house keeping will indicate better quality. Also Lancashire does not stock any QS lumber even QS plywood has to be done by special order. Without established relation I am troubled to pay for product is not available for inspection.

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied

Originally posted by RomanV View Post
    Thank you all for impute. My apology for long silence, wanted to report final decision.
    I went with PJ and import. Cut one sheet for small shop job last weekend. Not terribly bad. Some voids and warping ( not worse I have expected). I think it will be manageable to deal with. I end up paying 45$ per sheet. In addition to PF plywood I bought MDF, select spruce and 4/4 QS W/Oak, what I was surprised by it is low quality of all that. I would by MDF flatter from Home Depot and spruce was just terrible. I quote for 250 BRDFT of 4/4 QS and was not able to pick 75 it was so poor. I had much better luck with Reimer Hardwoods. Any good lumber vendors in Calgary?
    You should have gone to Lancashire. They have good product and much better prices then PJ -- especially on solids. If you want MDF and PF ply then I can probably hook you up with Eroko who has the lowest prices.

Leave a comment:

• RomanV
    replied

Thank you all for impute. My apology for long silence, wanted to report final decision.
    I went with PJ and import. Cut one sheet for small shop job last weekend. Not terribly bad. Some voids and warping ( not worse I have expected). I think it will be manageable to deal with. I end up paying 45$ per sheet. In addition to PF plywood I bought MDF, select spruce and 4/4 QS W/Oak, what I was surprised by it is low quality of all that. I would by MDF flatter from Home Depot and spruce was just terrible. I quote for 250 BRDFT of 4/4 QS and was not able to pick 75 it was so poor. I had much better luck with Reimer Hardwoods. Any good lumber vendors in Calgary?

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied

As I mentioned to you in response to your PM to me before this thread You know that I like 3/4 Domestic.

I think there is probably more than one guy in Calgary who could buy it for you at his source and save you some coin. It's happened many times here.

Leave a comment:

• Woodwreck
    replied

Your dado work etc. is definitely not overbuild - it used to be the standard. and in fact still is in large commercial manufacturers not found on this forum. It slashes assembly time and improves alignment for example, which as you have demonstrated is well recogized to a Mechanical Engineer, plus strength.

I differ from some others in staying away from ⅝" plywood because you will forever be compensating - and likely making errors - when ¾" works into common denominations of calculations. The last time I used ⅝" for the supposed 'savings' was 1975, having learned the hard way. DAMHIK

Likewise while other forumites up your way use heavy stock for the backing, around here it is unheard of as ¼" is the standard. I find heavier adds lots of weight and expense and little or no structural advantage over 1/4" backing.

Above all your import v. domestic thought is somewhat misleading. All imported materials are not born equal. If you go to a discount/big box store you will get what you pay for. Their buyers order on a selected quality that meets their target customer. Deal with an established lumber source and a counter person who knows what cabinet grade materials are. I recognize both from endless personal comments with my friends here and posted by forumites at large, that your choice of suppliers tends to not be as great as we enjoy but try to separate the vendor by asking questions and getting the right answers - not at a big box store.

Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Woodwreck; 05-23-2015, 10:43 AM. Reason: birth rights

Leave a comment:

• smallerstick
    replied

My experience with import is not as extensive as others on this thread, but I do support the fact that import is not a good product to work with. Voids, thin veneers, warping and generally poor handling qualities make the experience very unpleasant.
    My local supplier here who I bought the import from does not carry it anymore. He got so many complaints from his one-time purchase of import that he sells only domestic now.

Leave a comment:

• OttawaP
    replied

While I play on both sides of the fence as a contractor and home woodworker, when I built my kitchen I used domestic prefinished birch ply. Yes it cost more but it made the whole experience much more enjoyable and predictable. I figured I was already saving a ton of money building my rather large kitchen, why not make the build go easier? Tim's point of "I too don't like to work with pb but if I was budget constrained and faced with a choice of pb or import vc I'd go with pb." is a pretty valid one. As much as I hate working with pb veneer, I hate the cheap ply even more.

Leave a comment:

• Tim in Milton
    replied

Imported seems to vary from supplier to supplier. Each time I've used it I have vowed to never use it again regardless of the cost savings for the following reasons: poor laminations, voids, very thin veneer, warping even at box panel size which makes construction time consuming and difficult.

The reasons why I have used it again after each vow was because I was told by my various suppliers that they had a new source each time and that it was very different - turns out that in my experiences the source might be different but the problems were the same.

I understand about the financial difference and it's not insignificant at the volume you are ordering but through negotiation or using a trade contact you should be able to bring those costs right down. I often don't order more than 30 sheets and I'm getting a price right now of 74 a sheet for domestic prefinished birch vc. I too don't like to work with pb but if I was budget constrained and faced with a choice of pb or import vc I'd go with pb.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied

If you're using face frames the import 5/8" would be just fine for everything including the backs. If you still want to use 1/4" for the backs then HR Maple melamine on mdf core is the best for that. PM me and I will give you another source and contact #.

Leave a comment:

• Import or Domestic prefinished plywood for kitchen boxes.

Good day all,
    I have a dilemma on my hands, need help with.
    I am new on forum and asking for tolerance .
    Woodworking is a hobby for me, please take it in consideration, I cannot pus a cost to customer, it is all out of my packet.
    My current project is kitchen cabinets. Face frame, flush insert, traditional hardware ( not European ), Arts and Crafts style, QS oak.
    I am going to use dado (rabbets) + pocket holes for boxes, biscuits or dowels ( have not decided yet) for frames, biscuits + pocket holes to attached boxes to frames.
    I know it is overbuild for kitchen boxes and it is bring a question.
    Do I really need domestic plywood (VC) or import will perform in this application (I am certain to go with prefinished VC plywood to eliminate need for spraying and I do not like to work with PB).
    Dado and screws should keep it in place and with spread of no more than 3’ bowing will be tolerant.
    Do you think import will disturb shape of the boxes and pull it out of SQ, other than that, I do not see it will make a deference visually.
    Have quotes form Windsor, P J and Lancashire for domestic and import plywood.
    Import is cheapest form Lancashire (CW2 Birch TC 2S) – 46$, next Windsor (G2S TC) – 55$ and last P J – 81$ , with PJ 75% more than Lancashire.
    Domestic: Lancashire (CW-2W WPF UV2S VC) – 80$, and next PJ – 102$.
    It is large order for me (around 30 sheets - ¾” + another 5-8 – ¼” for backs) and I am looking for recommendation from more experience woodworkers.
    Would you recommend forget about import and go with domestic. If it is import would you trust Lancashire quality or not.
    Thank you for your help and time,
    Regards,
Working...
X